Gacy Reviews

January 26, 2014
Gacy is a disturbing low budget psycho horror film that mixes crime elements with biography to create a decent film that could have been a bit better. Now, I'll go on and say, due to the subject, this is not a film for everyone, and it is a film that is horrifying in terms of the fact that this based on a true life serial killer. Very much like the movie Dahmer starring Jeremy Renner, Gacy, goes into the mind of a depraved and sick individual, thus the subsequent horror is much more significant due to the fact that these events actually happened. Viewers interested in this subject may find this to be a good film. As for me, I thought it was a good little psycho horror film, but one that doesn't necessitate multiple viewings. For what it tries to accomplish, this film succeeds at disturbing its viewers by its story and visuals, and for that, it's an accomplished low budget affair, but one that is inaccurate of the facts, and is mostly played out for entertainment purposes. Mark Holton delivers a good performance in the lead role, but the film could have been so much better as well. However as it is, it's still a disturbing ride into madness, one that will certainly delight fans of these types of films. For a straight to DVD title, Gacy is better than expected, but like I said, could have been a bit better with a tighter script, and focusing more on the facts, then this film really would have stood out and be one of the definitive psycho horror films to watch. Gacy has its flaws, but it does succeed at being unsettling, and I guess that if you're looking for just that, then you ought to watch this film.
March 28, 2007
A made for tv version of the story based on the real life Serial Killer John Wayne Gacy and as a result it's not a particularly well acted piece. It's a no thrills, straight forward telling of the horrific murders, but it at least tells the events of the remorseless Man.
December 28, 2009
The Movies based upon true stories and serial killers are the creepy ones.
½ March 24, 2009
Watched this after watching the A&E Biography on Gacy. Felt like the screenwriters should have also watched that as they missed out on what could have been stunningly horrifying scenes in the film. In real life, one of Gacy's intended victims and then boarder escaped; he arrived home to find Gacy drunk and sporting his clown attire, he cuffed the young man and began taunting him in the clown voice, until Gacy suddenly snapped into a rage and began chasing and attacking the man, screaming "I'm gonna rape you!". This story was told by the man who lived it in the A&E special, which is available on Youtube if you like to see. In real life, Gacy also invited the police investigating him to dinner at his place where he served fish; the stench of rotting bodies from the crawlspace was overwhelming and enabled them to secure the search warrant ending in his arrest. Instead of recreating these precious eerie and REAL moments, the script distorts things greatly and I'm not even sure what the hell they're going for.

Acting is unanimously terrible, with the lead being the only one to occasionally not suck.

Very minimal on killing and violence; very scarce blood, no rape scenes, and few creepy moments from the actor playing Gacy. Some shitty shots of a few bugs crawling around attempt to add some grotesquery and movie plays with the idea that Gacy is psychologically tormented through audio montage but weakly and only for one scene towards the end.

This is a big SKIP. Go for fiction or the Dahmer movie, or the penultimate real-life based serial killer flick Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.
August 3, 2008
Very poorly edited, but entertaining and horrible. What an awful man!
½ November 19, 2009
These serial killer films are really hit or miss, most of them are misses, for a variety of reasons. They are usually cheaply made, direct-to-video films, with an inexperienced cast, trying to profiteer on the infamy of these evil men. That being said, I decided to watch Gacy anyway, because of all the insane people who became infamous, John Wayne Gacy, may have been the craziest. This married man with kids, ran a construction business, that only employed young boys, and on the weekends, he made extra money by dressing up as a clown for children's birthday parties. This man was seen as a wimpy, harmless, closeted guy, no one would have ever thought they'd find 27 bodies underneath his house. The producers of the film, Gacy, decided to take it in a different direction than similar films by introducing Gacy as this loveable loser. If you didn't know the story and just popped in the film for the hell of it, I'd have thought this was some kind of comedy....until it wasn't. Veteran character actor, Mark Holton, stars as Gacy and was terrific, he was honestly the only reason to watch the film, especially after it turned. The story is horrific and the rest of the cast amounts to little more than eye candy, but Holton really pulls everything together, takes you inside Gacy's tortured mind, and makes this movie more than just another slasher film. After watching Gacy, I did what everyone else would do and Wiki'ed John Wayne Gacy. I wasn't surprised to see that the film is considered to be wildly inaccurate. Obviously five people aren't going to live in a house with 27 rotting bodies underneath and be almost completely oblivious to it, so I knew the film probably had a lot of bull shit in it. The film does have a talented star that really makes this film much more interesting then the other serial killer bio-pics.
½ October 15, 2008
Another "real life biography" that seems to skim over the true facts to make a more entertaining movie. It does get across the sickness of this serial killer but slowly without much depth. Still... clowns!
February 23, 2008
Nasty man but a very good film showing how the loony operated....Ive always hared clowns...
½ October 9, 2013
Am I wrong for having expectations for Mark Holton (PWBA's Francis!) playing serial killer John Wayne Gacy? A bigger question is how come all of these serial killer movies based on real and interesting killers suck?
September 20, 2009
This movie was disturbing, he was gay, he liked little boys and young teen boys, and he was abused as a child so is this why he did what he did? But the most disturbing thing was his OBSESSION with clowns... that is creepy, but the movie skims over a lot of details and makes it seem like his mother was an accomplice I mean seriously how could u not know what was goin on??? really??? and NOBODY ever suspected anything but the people who LEFT outta his life, and strangely if he had let Tom leave like he planned to he woulda gotten away to Belgium... but his obsession wouldn't allow him to let him leave and that was basically his downfall... but I'm glad he got his in the end, just goes to show u, GOD works in mysterious ways and u never know when all the horrible things u do, or did will catch up to u... but overall a good portrayal of John Wayne Gacy... but him bein on South Park, now that was FUNNY!!! LMAO!!!
½ March 11, 2009
this was an alright horror, not really scary at all but a pretty good back story of one of the worst serial killers in american history. interesting enough, i just wanted to see more killing
January 18, 2009
Another good film about a sick man... I did not realize he dessed as a clown...Makes me want to revisit the Devil's Rejects
December 27, 2006
Its kinda crrepy but what makes it creepy is that it's a true story. My dad said I should watch it because its real and nobody makes really good scary movies these days they take it to the extreme and then you end up laughing because their so stupid
August 9, 2015
This is the most unfocused, flaccid, weak portrayal of a killer that I could imagine. Give me my two hours back so I can watch the Disney channel. Even their limpid plots would surpass this.
½ April 11, 2015
as bad as they get....
February 28, 2015
I know the Gacy story pretty well and was deeply disappointed that this boring, cheap piece of waste isn't it.
October 19, 2013
A lackluster and forgettable serial killer flick that has a couple of disturbing parts, but, overall, manages to be pretty boring....
June 7, 2013
I was impressed with Mark Holton's performance in this film. But I felt that the story of John Wayne Gacy was all over the place. So I give this a "C" in my defense.
May 6, 2013