Game 6 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Game 6 Reviews

August 10, 2011
Nicky Rogan: I coulda been happy. I coulda been a Yankees fan.

"It's opening night... Let the games begin."

I really wish I would have liked Game 6 more. I like the story. A writer has a new play coming out, that is supposed to be his best work. Everyone is informing him that a tough critic is going to tear his play apart and this begins to worry him. As that is going on it's also the night game 6 of the 1986 World Series is being played(most remembered for Buckner's less than impressive play). Nicky is a Red Sox fan, but doesn't hold out to much hope for the Red Sox winning the World Series.

What seems like a really cool story turns out to not make a great movie. At least in the hands of Michael Hoffman. As much as I wanted to like the movie; nothing in the actual movie was able to allow me to like it. The cast is fine with some pretty big names like Keaton, O'Hara and Downey Jr, but the movie has many flaws and the actors aren't able to make the movie anything special.

All in all Game 6 is a pretty joyless experience. It's also very disappointing because I believe it could have been so much more.
June 29, 2009
packed with heavy hitting weight in front and behind the camera, this quirky new york piece that looks at living with lowered expectations and failure as a way of life somehow just fails to connect by that much...but still is worth a view.
March 14, 2006
[font=Century Gothic]"Game 6" takes place on October 25, 1986 in a graffiti strewn and gridlocked New York City. Game six of the World Series is set to be played that night between the Boston Red Sox and the New York Mets. Nicky Rogan(Michael Keaton), playwright and Red Sox fan, has a wife who wants a divorce and a grown daughter, Laurel(Ari Graynor), who barely speaks to him. His most personal play is opening that night but the lead actor(Harris Yulin) cannot remember his lines due to a parasite he picked up in Borneo.(Or was it Burma?) Worst of all, Steven Schwimmer(Robert Downey Jr.), the most savage of theatre critics is lurking in the background, waiting to give his opinion on the play.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Game 6" is a literate take on how a person's life can change in a moment. It is fueled by purple prose, especially by of all people, a traffic reporter.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]Note: I am a Mets fan who was a freshman in October, 1986 at a university in Massachusetts but I was back home in New York for game 6 of the World Series which I barely remember. That was the beginning of one of my favorite hobbies during my college years - antagonizing New England sports fans. [/font]
August 19, 2009
Starts off as a banal "life in the big city" story that takes too long to set the various pieces on their collision courses. When the deeper meanings do rise to the surface in the climax it feels like too little too late since nearly every preceding scene is lacklusterly timed and without urgency. Michael Keaton and Robert Downey manage to eek out performances that are admirable considering the loose script and overall lack of intellectual depth.
August 4, 2011
Great performance from Michael Keaton and the 80's New York looks pitch-perfect. The only problem with this comedy is that it's not particularly funny.
December 22, 2008
Michael Keaton is spellbinding in this tale about a playright who is not sure whether he should go to the opening of his new play or watch Game 6 of the 1986 World Series.
½ May 30, 2007
Sadly overlooked film about lives intersecting with game 6 of the 1986 world Series.One of Michael Keatons best performances.
April 14, 2007
It's a good movie. You can tell it's written by DeLillo, oddly enough. I mean, even without knowing that going in...

Some great scenes...some scenes that don't quite come together. Liked it quite a bit in the end.
½ October 13, 2006
It totally confounded me for days afterwards, and I didn't know what to think of it. Then, suddenly, I realized that's exactly why I liked it. It's a study in contradictions, too surreal to be real, and too real to be surreal. It's about baseball, playwrighting, and Michael Keaton giving a hell of a performance as a man trapped between the two.
½ May 29, 2006
I was really hoping for more from Keaton and the film that Ebert & Roeper proclaim as the first Oscar-worthy film of 2006. I still found the characters compelling, but the story just lacked an emotional element. Maybe if you remember the 1986 world series game 6 well and were a true fan, this movie would have more meaning for you.
½ July 21, 2015
Despite the presence of future Oscar nominee Michael Keaton, I found this indie to be painfully boring. The short 83 minute running time felt twice as long.
April 15, 2015
A playwright is plagued with conflicting emotions when his new work is about to be reviewed by a notoriously harsh critic, and his favorite baseball team may win the world series after many years. Granted, Keaton's performance is excellent, but overall the film wanders around looking for allegory and symbolism, but ultimately strikes out.
October 2, 2012
½ June 19, 2011
Very disappointing. Annoyingly pretentious with the "Red Sox/Baseball as metaphor for life". Also, there were factual inconsistencies that cost credibility. Game 6 was on a Saturday, but the story played out as if it was a weekday (kids in school, etc.). If you're basing an entire film on a historical event, the basic facts should be accurate. Also, why was Michael Keaton a Red Sox fan? His character grew up in New York! The film never explains why the Red Sox were so important to him. The Robert Downey Jr. character was incredibly annoying. He is supposedly this mysterious character who sneaks into plays to review them, yet his "disguise" make him look like one of the Thompson Twins?!

Lastly - why were the Mets fans in the bar chanting "Hendu, Hendu"? He was a Red Sox player!!!
½ June 11, 2011
Until yesterday when this movie appeared on Encore, I had never heard of it. Great movie! Good story, good actors, good acting. Lots of suspense. The characters of Keaton and Downey were slowly revealed through their experiences, behavior, expressions, body language and through great writing. Both the way suspense was added where you wouldn't expect it and its execution were brilliantly accomplished. Michael Keaton has been one of my favorites since Mr. Mom. I have always considered Robert Downey, Jr. an extremely talented and versatile actor. This movie could have been half an hour longer, and it would've been just another movie trying to create characters you care about, but were forced to sit through a lot of blah, blah, blah to get there. This movie was tight at 90 minutes. Thank you, editor! God, it was just so damn good!
April 6, 2011
If you don't get the baseball element then it might go over your head.

Interesting Side Note: I did find it odd that they made Michael Keaton's character of 1986 look like Michael Keaton of today. In my mind Michael Keaton always looks like he did in 1986. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I miss the 80's.
January 16, 2011
If you're a fan of Don DeLillo, the Red Sox, and the theatre you will love this movie. Not sure why it didn't get higher ratings overall.