Garfield Gets Real - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Garfield Gets Real Reviews

michael e.
½ February 4, 2011
Cheesy looking CG, but it had an interesting plot, great use of comic strip characters, and a great performance from Frank Welker as Garfield and Odie
½ March 9, 2008
I think Garfield is better on a comic strip.
May 22, 2016
I watched this movie only once and I despised it. Garfield being in his first CGI movie sucks because in my opinion, Garfield looks one trillion times better in 2D animation. This movie was overall hideous.
September 20, 2014
I love Garfield especially in this movie, I love the comic strip on Sundays!! The movie is not as good as Garfield played by bill Murray but still good. Love it!!
½ October 14, 2010
This film is far from being genius, but I will say that the plot was highly original. I love the idea of comics being together in one world and they treat comic strips like films. While the animation was abysmal, the film was decent enough to keep me interested.
½ April 20, 2010
Everybody knows the smart-aleck overweight cat Garfield. He has an owner named John, has a dog who he lives with named Odie, and talks in thought bubbles. But what you didn't know about Garfield was "Garfield Gets Real", Garfield's initial jump into the realm of CGI. But with horrible animation, stale jokes, and one-star actors in tow, you would wish this tiger-striped feline would never make his way into 3-D in the first place.

STORY

This movie's first scene is when the lazy kitten himself wakes up from sleep. Garfield completes his daily routine, then out to the comic center to make the funnies. While on the job, Garfield wishes he could take a break from his job and become a real cat. When Garfield stumbles into the real world, he's amazed. From this storyline, Garfield Gets Real spawned 2 sequels.

The story is what all Garfield fans have dreamed of, since they weren't satisfied with the original Garfield movie in 2004. This movie was not the big dream. In fact, Cartoon Network saw how "great" the show is and made an awful cartoon based off it.

ACTING

The acting makes you want to drown kittens, no joke. Garfield sounds like he is on a drug high and posessed by Satan. All the newspaper comic characters in the movie sound even worse, making you never to read the newspaper again. Garfield Gets Real tells you a clear message why Garfield's voice actor should never be replaced. This movie will make the Newspaper Comics section haunt your dreams.

QUALITY

The DVD cover says that Garfield Gets Real uses "amazing CGI animation". Garfield Gets Real looks like a bad game on the Nintendo Gamecube. How much time was put into this movie was awfully short, only making the animation for the movie in less than a few minutes. The quality of Garfield Gets Real will leave you crawling on all fours.

DVD

Garfield Gets Real was a straight-to-DVD release, but that factor still makes it a terrible movie. The DVD features are downright bad.

SUMMARY

It was a huge mistake for PAWS Inc. to make a worse movie than the first two Garfields. We thought we had enough of this cartoony cat in 2007, but PAWS just wanted to make Garfield Gets Real into a separate movie franchise and a TV show. Nice job, Garfield.
April 6, 2010
My 8 yr old loves this and can watch it countless times, eyes transfixed, mesmerised and wonderstruck.

why kids love this film so much is a mystery, because it is dire.

i asked my daughter why she loves it so much. Her answer?

"I don't know."

Mysterious!
November 30, 2009
the story was deep and complex, the animation was Pixar quality, the voice acting was second-to-none. A masterpiece of modern films.

(this review was a joke and is not to be considered seriously)
½ November 22, 2009
Garbage. Jokes and things happen that make absolutely no sense. And a bunch of comic book characters who don't talk or do anything. Don't get me wrong there were a couple of funny jokes, but most of the time there was stuff happening that were random. On the bright side, the guy who played as Garfield did a pretty good job.
½ August 30, 2009
I expected this to be the most worse thing I will ever see.I was wrong I enjoyed this and the first two "Garfields" should of been like this.They would of been much more.A good kids movie.
December 21, 2008
I really wanted to like this. I liked the movies and I love the cartoon and comic strip. However, this movie fell flat horribly. I liked the way they looked, but it was something in the animation and the way they moved that really bothered me. Especially since the reactions are one of the main components of the humor. Kids unaware of the history of Garfield would enjoy this more than actual fans.
December 4, 2008
I like Garfield! it was a nice movie. I like the part where all these little dogs were trying to get the bone..it's rilarious!!
½ May 28, 2008
Garfield's Translation To The 2D To The 3D is an OK Idea I Guess. The Movie is 100% 3D Animated. I Think He Should've Gone To The 3D World, To The Real World Would've Been a Better Idea.

''Garfield Gets Real'' is Not as Great as The First ''Garfield - The Movie'', But, It's Way Better Than The Dissapointed ''Garfield - A Tail of Two Kitties''.
½ August 8, 2008
Not the best of Garfield but touching none the less. Oddie actually talks in this one. Just 2 words but it's a change from the norm.
July 27, 2008
Garfield is an unfunny sell-out (talking about the comic strip here), and this movie is merely a reflection of that. This film has absolutely no energy, no humor. In regards to the plot, I was rooting for the newspaper to discontinue the comic strip, because the comic is pretty worthless itself. I, unfortunately, had the great displeasure of seeing this film two days in a row thanks to work.
May 25, 2008
This movie is terrible. It's better than the live action ones though. The movie's jokes are unfunny and it has one of the worst storylines of 2007. I put it on my top 8 worst movies of 2007 list on my homepage. It is such a 2, nowhere close to 3, but better than a 1 star movie.
January 21, 2008
Amazing 3-D Garfield cartoon to date! I just love it, it's a cool effect. However it isn't as funny as the series, it is more mature... Not to worry, I doubt Garfield would grow up in a long long time. Also Odie is adorably cute as 3-D! The Jon however looks funny weird as a 3-D character. (laugh)
May 22, 2016
½ August 14, 2010
Watched this while I was babysitting, and I regret it.
July 19, 2015
This wasn't so bad, but it wasn't so great either, but still a funny and adventure with some flaws in the storyline, but still barely decent.