Gayby Reviews

½ October 7, 2012
Surprisingly funny script for an independent LGBT film. (Such films tend to be too niche for wider appeal.) Decent acting with attractive cast. Recommended.
July 3, 2013
The main characters are likable enough--and give endearing performances--but the film is too much like a cliche-heavy sitcom and thus falls flat.
jjnxn
January 10, 2013
Really wanted to like this but it was flat as a pancake. The lead actress lacks charisma, the situations are absurd and the pacing is slack.
Harlequin68
½ June 3, 2014
In "Gayby," Jenn(Jenn Harris) is a yoga instructor in New York City who feels her life is going nowhere. Not only does she feel like a glorified messenger at work, but she is also single. That is also with her biological clock ticking. Loudly. So, she approaches Matt(Matthew Wilkas), her best friend from college who now works in a comic book store where he tries to avoid his ex-boyfriend, about having a kid together. He agrees, even if being physical together is more than a little awkward after they reject the turkey baster method.

With delicacy and much humor, "Gayby" handles a complex subject well and smartly.(Definitely compared to the time it came up on "Warehouse 13" recently when it felt creepy. Maybe it was just those two characters.) While almost wearing out its welcome, the characters never do, as they live and work in a New York City full of loneliness that is countered with extended non-traditional families. Personally, I find it cool that it is also a city full of comic book stores where stereotypes can be challenged and gay archetypes explored.
December 19, 2012
The second half is far too conventional in the plot, but the convincing characters stay true to themselves from start to finish. Its nice to see a film that's populated by homosexuals that look and act like real people.
October 11, 2012
It's absolutely adorable and well acted by Jenn Harris and Matthew Wilkas. It's really campy regarding to the storyline and the fast paced dialogues, but it did not fail to make me laugh all the way through and felt really touched by the relationship of all the characters. I really can see all the characters in my life because it's a film that uses real people and real settings. For an independent film, it's highly enjoyable and didn't even look budget at all. It's really well done and will certainly become a cult classic.
February 13, 2013
Probably the first gay film I've seen in years that I actually enjoyed. Actually one of the rare ones that I actually watched the whole thing. Yeah, there were some cliches/stereotypes going on but this one was really smart and well-acted. A pleasant surprise.
December 30, 2012
The idea/premise of Gayby is better than its execution. Gayby is about Jenn and Matt who have been best friends since college. As Jenn is approaching her middle thirties and doesn't have any long-term, future relationships in her future, she turns to her gay best friend Matt to help her conceive a child (the old-fashioned way). Awkward hilarity is supposed to ensue but it never really does ... it is simply awkward and as Jenn becomes more-and-more un-likeable as the film progresses the film becomes more-and-more difficult to enjoy. I am not sure if the film's intentional lack of overt seriousness (until nearly the VERY end) has helped or hindered the film although I'm leaning on it NOT helping as I never knew how serious to take either Jenn or Matt. They'd say one thing and always do another which isn't a great way to develop a story about people an audience does not know ... and they are two people I would never need to know.
½ December 13, 2012
A story about two very immature people who decide to have a baby because... well, no good reason. Just to give some sort of meaning to their lives. Yeahp.
July 15, 2014
it feels like a weird web series but it has some cute and funny moments. totally better than expected especially after the first half hour. a lot of making out and sex references though
Harlequin68
½ June 3, 2014

½ May 27, 2014
Grossly convoluted plot that just didn't work for me!
February 19, 2014
Gayby is a 2012 American romantic comedy-drama film. It debuted on March 12, 2012 at the South by Southwest film festival.
½ February 4, 2014
'Low budget gay comedy' is usually a phrase which has me running for the hills, however considering it's 90% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes I decided to give Gayby a go. A charming, relaxed comedy about a gay guy and his fag hag planning a baby together, Gayby is filled with great one liners and remarkably, gay characters who actually feel like they may have a foot in the real world. A very pleasant surprise.
September 29, 2012
The characters are likable and convincing enough. The plot is a bit unreal, but the film is supposed to be a comedy so it's understood.
½ October 18, 2013
Apesta este intento de comedia sexual con el clįsico dilema gay entre amigos de diferente sexo. Tonta, aburrida y absurda.
½ July 3, 2013
You don't have to be gay to think this is a great film! The comedy writing is brilliant and the acting is great! The story is simple, but it is a fun movie to watch with friends or on a date night. Matthew Wilkas is great in this movie!
½ October 11, 2012
Funny and entertaining. Satisfying.
½ July 9, 2013
Great little indie comedy made me laugh. Plus some of the guys from Girls is in it and one half of Pysch
July 3, 2013