Genealogies of a Crime (Généalogies d'un crime) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Genealogies of a Crime (Généalogies d'un crime) Reviews

½ January 1, 2013
This makes the third Ruiz film that I've seen; it was even more disappointing than Time Regained and seemed more like a Luis Buñuel wannabe. The uninspiring performance of Catherine Deneuve and some surrealistic flourishes made Ruizâ(TM)s film reminiscent of The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie but the most unfortunate part of is that it has already been done a long time ago by the real Avant-garde.
August 28, 2011
To commemorate Raul Ruiz's death last week, I checked out this 1997 French existential "thriller" which is laced with psychoanalysis, identity swaps, and murder. But Ruiz keeps us at a distance from the characters and the plot is obtuse, wordy, possibly elliptical (I fell asleep at one point), and may not make sense. Still there are amusing moments and a general absurdist air that carries things along well enough.
May 8, 2011
Um bom suspense, com um ótima autação da Catherine, a temática envolve psicanálise, crime e até um suicídio em massa em nome da ciência. Prende a atenção, mas podia ter sido melhor executado
½ March 6, 2010
I'm not sure the Oedipal theme is really what's being explored here, as much as the criminal mind, and the enormous powers that psychoanalytic techniques can have over the human mind. This is a really offbeat film, with charm and innocence where you least expect it, much like Ruiz's Comedy of Innocence. Deneuve isn't as harsh as usual, and Piccoli is, as always, a sheer delight.
December 12, 2008
LETTERBOX. Graciosa, interesante, ingeniosa... y algo pretenciosa, pero no demasiado. / Funny, interesting, clever... and somewhat pretentious, but not too much.