Gentlemen Broncos - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gentlemen Broncos Reviews

July 20, 2013
Bizarre and oddly written, Gentlemen Broncos is a satire about the world of new sci-fi novels sucess and it's cinematic adaptation, as well it's fans. Dispite being silly, present a juvenile screenplay and seldom have an actually funny scene, the couple of filmmakes, Jared and Jerusha Hess, show another quirky view of the society and another interesting movie to watch. Fresh.
½ July 8, 2011
This is by the creator of "Napoleon Dynamite", and if you love that movie, then you will love this movie. Much of the same quiet, off-beat dry humor. It's about a kid who writes a sci-fi story, and a famous author steals his story. Pretty simple, but very weird and a lot of it makes no sense. The sci-fi scenes that are taking place in his story are some of the weirdest scenes I have ever seen, some are funny, but most are just way too out there. Jermain Clement plays the author, and he is great! I've loved everything he's done since "Flight of the Concords"(LOOK IT UP!). Not as good, or classic as "Dynamite"(do the chickens have large tallens?), but it's still worth a view if your into that humor. If your not, then just skip it and quit being a jerk.
366weirdmovies
December 12, 2010
A successful pulp author who's run out of ideas steals a teen author's sci-fi novella. The beyond-offbeat tone, which might be characterized as "nerd grotesque," is uneven and takes some serious getting used to, but the movie is never boring; Jemaine Clement's often hilarious performance as the pompous Dr. Chevalier and the bizarre dramatizations of the epic "Yeast Masters" (which feature cyclopses, flying stags and stolen gonads) makes it worth the price of admission. Not for everyone, but not nearly the disaster it's been made out to be.
½ October 28, 2009
Gentlemen Broncos is a valiant effort from the writer/director of random oddball treats Napoleon Dynamite and Nacho Libre, but it falls short. The premise of a budding teenage sci-fi writer whose work is stolen by a fading icon of the genre is fun enough, especially when said work is portrayed onscreen in hilarious fashion by the great Sam Rockwell. Unfortunately the movie just relied too heavily on the same evaporating quirk that justified viewings of the previous two movies. Don't get me wrong, there were some genuinely entertaining and demented parts, just not enough of them. There's really no reason to go out of your way to see Gentlemen Broncos. I bought a used copy at a flea market for five bucks and got what I paid for. I'll leave it at that...
Chiefilms
½ March 25, 2010
Flat out stupid, watched 5 minutes, only because Jemaine is in it, had to find something else after that. Typically Jemaine is hilarious , staying true to his Flight of the Conchords nature picking abstract, off-the-wall comedies. Unfortunately his movies have been worse than dingo rape.
neverteaseaweasel
½ February 23, 2010
This movie is absolutely terrible, but in the most strange and fasinating ways. Granted, I'm easily baffled, but I cannot see why a movie like this or Post Grad are so terrible, while movies like The Proposal and The Hangover are allegedly so inventive and wonderful. This is ever so much more enjoyable, and it actually clever and funny in parts. I would not say that it is a good movie, but it is much better than a lot of what's out there. It at least tries to be creative. I liked the satirical humor quite a lot, but a lot of the humor is just crude. I'm not saying that's good, bad, or otherwise, it just is not something I appreciate. The sci-fi scenes reminded me of Terry Pratchett's work. They are just so tacky and hokey, that it actually comes out as being rather hilarious. So, in conclusion, I'm not even going to pretend that Gentleman Broncos is a noteworthy film, because it's not. At the same time, it is a huge step for Jared Hess considering it's the first thing he has made that is actually worthy watching, and despite everything, it really is entertaining.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
February 5, 2009
"Your ovaries will destroy me"

A teenager attends a fantasy writers' convention where he discovers his idea has been stolen by an established novelist.

REVIEW
Expand your mind and ignite the plasma-fires of your four dimensional imaginations, my juvescent readers. It is time to reflect, to ponder, to review the woefully neglected film entitled "Gentlemen Broncos." The latest endeavour from visionary director Jared Hess is a bold exploration into the limitless expanses of outer space, and the infinite potential for awkward comedy in human interaction.

To summarize the narrative, Benjamin is a young man who writes a sci-fi novel called "Yeast Lords." When he goes to a teen writer's camp the story is stolen by his favorite author, the inimitable (although you will try) Ronald Chevalier. Before the book is published he is sweet talked into selling the story to a manipulative girl who attempts to make an amateur movie out of the book.

Through the magic technology of special effects (yes, there were special effects) we see the novel unfold on screen. We meet Bronco, the rough-around-the-edges "Yeast Lord" protagonist who is not a Centaur, and does not shapeshift into equine form. Ever. If you thought Avatar was an epic of fantastic adventure, then you have never seen armies of Cyclops and "Surveillance Does" firing massive laser turrets at flying "Battle Stags." Epic.

Bronco, portrayed by Sam Rockwell, delivers some truly hilarious lines of dialog with a completely straight face. If you laughed when Napoleon asked "Do the chickens have large talons?" then you will appreciate Bronco's statement that "I can smell a cache of yeast cakes forty miles off!" The pinnacle of this cinematic saga is Mr. Ronald Chevalier, the pretentious deep voiced author of novels like "Brutus & Balzac," "The Cyborg Harpy Trilogy," and "Moon Fetus." Jemaine Clement (the taller half of the Flight of the Conchords duo) improvises some of the funniest lines. There is a scene where he argues with a twelve year old girl about what to name the Troll in her story. It reminded me of Jack Black in School of Rock, filled with righteous indignation because the students at his private school hadn't heard of Motorhead. While School of Rock had rock music as an easily accessible theme, Gentlemen Broncos plays on the pomposity of science fiction books, something less familiar to many people. If you have read or even browsed science fiction books and marveled at the strangeness of them, you will probably "get" this movie.
½ December 2, 2008
Kind of funny. Put it like this, after seeing the preview with all the "fantasy" bits in it, thought I was going to totally hate it. Liked Napoleon Dynamite, hated Nacho Libre, was expecting this to be even worse than that one, so I was surprised when it wasn't actually that bad. I still hate all the fantasy bits (soooo stupid, and gross as well), but there was enough decent characters in the main story, and funny quirky little bits like the mum with her disgusting outfits (got to love Jennifer Coolidge), that I would have to say it was worth a watch. Oh, and the worst music soundtrack ever!
Robotbling
April 24, 2010
Director Jared Hess' Gentlemen Broncos is an absurd coming of age comedy that manages to be even stranger than his more well-known breakout hit, Napolean Dynamite. This film takes its inspiration from bad fantasy and sci-fi novels which seemed so abundant in the '70s and '80s. Imagine innumerable paperbacks about burly men in tights, buxom space women in distress, and awesomely bad alien monsters, all of them covered in cookie-cutter artwork inspired by the legendary Frank Frazetta. The film focuses on Benjamin, played with earnest by Michael Angarano, a teenager who dreams of seeing his own stories share that shelf space.

Ben attends a writer's workshop where his idol, the eccentric Dr. Ronald Chevalier, gives a hilarious lecture about sci-fi naming conventions. Chevalier's leather get-up and Star Trek-inspired ear-thing are only the icing on the cake of a performance by Jemaine Clement. Ben decides to enter his story, Yeast Lords: The Bronco Years, into Chevalier's contest in the hopes of winning a coveted original cover artwork. With his publishing deal holding on by a thread, Chevalier privately decides to steal Ben's idea, although he adapts it to his own style. This is where the movie gets its more ridiculous scenes. The embarrassingly bad story of Yeast Lords is told in snippets through outtakes from the inevitable big budget movie adaptations -- both from Ben's original story and Chevalier's tweaked rewrite -- starring Sam Rockwell in the lead role.

Meanwhile Ben gets encouragement from Tabatha, a budding romance novelist and film maker he meets at the workshop, to film a low budget home movie version of his story. Once again we see clips of Yeast Lords as told through Tabatha's scriptment. The supporting cast, including Ben's mother, are all a little freaky but vaguely familiar. Eventually Chevalier finally publishes the plagiarized story, and the crap hits the fan when Ben realizes what's up.

Like Napolean Dynamite, I'm not convinced Gentlemen Broncos will hold up to repeat viewings, but these oddball Americana slice-of-life movies are possibly worth checking out at least once if you're willing to go there. One can't help but feel that the story would have been better served if Ben had been an aspiring comic book artist or film maker. I liked it ok but the film was a total commercial and critical failure, making it hard to recommend regardless of what I personally thought of it. You have to be in the mood to watch a movie with several scenes that are deliberately bad for comedic effect.
July 24, 2011
20% of the film is kooky and funny, 80% o the whole film is very kooky, strange, unclever, dumb brained, and unpleasent. and that's what makes gentlemen broncos, an indie comedy that we don't know when to laugh at the moment it want's us to. C-
½ August 19, 2009
Oh 'Gentleman Broncos' how happy I am that I didn't spend money to see you in theaters. I was on the 'Napoleon Dynamite' train and really enjoyed 'Nacho Libre' despite it getting panned by critics. I also have seen enough 'Flight of the Conchords' to appreciate Jemaine Clement and am an avid fan of Mr. Rockwell. I guess what I am trying to say, to ask really, is with all of this on my side, why was this movie so bad? It has that same sense of dry, weirdo humor. Michael Angarano is a likeable lead and the story has great potential to be pretty darn hilarious. Rockwell is the only one getting any laughs here though. It is nice to see the story Benjamin writes "come to life" how he sees it as well as Chevalier's version of it. The sets, costumes, props are all low-key on purpose-Hess likes to mess with these small things and make everything just a little out of whack. It is a little off-putting and in this case it just is a distraction. The story isn't told in a strong enough way to stand on its own, all these extra things are used to make up for what is lacking as well as serving as excuses to just be a little weird. You can't be weird for the sake of being weird, it needs to have a reason, a purpose behind it and 'Gentlemen Broncos' has no apparant reasons for anything. Go back, write a few revisions and really create something here-its in there somewhere. Hess needs to know its not all about the quirkiness.
May 3, 2010
The Napoleon Dynamite stamp was definitely apparent in this movie, although it fell way short of those standards. There were some funny parts and characters, but as a whole it didn't really work for me.
½ September 21, 2009
This film made me feel awkward whenever I laughed. It wasn't a LOL kind of film, it was more like "uh that's awkward". I have got to say that this was better than Napoleon Dynamite a film which I hated. Angarano did a good job at playing the awkward novelist.
½ March 4, 2010
Pretty much the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen, however Sam Rockwell gives an amazingly funny performance that was really the highlight of the entire film.
To say that Jarad Hess was unique, would be an understatement but I in no way can fault a man who wants to bring something like this to the big screen.
mattsigur1
½ February 21, 2010
SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPYYYYYYYYYYYYY.
sappy, sappy,
sam rockwell is kinda funny as a tranny in space though.
October 27, 2009
Delves fearlessly into its own absurdity and is unashamedly juvenile. What a lovely, hilarious little film.
½ September 21, 2015
Watch this film if you've ever drawn fan art or finished reading a sci-fi Fantasy tetralogy. I don't know why so many critics reviewed this so poorly. The fictional "yeast lords" universe is humorously unique, the soundtrack is fantastic, and the immature slapstick comedy got plenty of laughs from me. Maybe because I don't have any ego issues with Jared Hess' international success from terse writing and the occasional toilet humor.
January 13, 2014
I'm not saying this movie is the holy grail or anything. But give it a break. It's about time they made a retro science fiction/fantasy story. Science fiction writing, (1960s-70's) put down a lot of groundwork for some of our amazing accomplishments of today. Grow up people, and stop giving no stars to things you don't understand because you are such a tool.
October 3, 2013
after seeing the big budget 'this is the end' i found this lil' indy to be much more funny if u liked say' best in show' you'll like this one.
October 28, 2012
First and foremost, I am a fan of Jared Hess.. BUT, I can't say I am a huge fan of this movie. While it does have many things I enjoy like Sam Rockwell, Jermaine Clement, Jennifer Coolidge, awesome sci-fi action scenes and flying deer, the story lacked the pizzazz to keep me interested. I think the major difference between the older Hess films and this one was the lack of a strong central character (not saying Angarano was bad). I am afraid that Hess might fall into the Burton world of all style and weak content. Awkward comedy scenes can only take you so far. The stuff I loved were the opening credits, the scenes with Sam Rockwell (amazing) and Mike White was pretty awesome. I must say that this was a preview so stuff might change for the better. We will see.

2008 Movies: 165