Minnā-yatteruka! (Getting Any?) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Minnā-yatteruka! (Getting Any?) Reviews

½ July 3, 2013
Before directing Takeshi Kitano was well known in Japan as one half of the incredibly popular stand up comedy duo 'The Two Beats'. Upon the disbanding of the duo Kitano moved on to more serious filmic ventures, creating a range of dark, nihilistic yakuza films between the years of 1989 and 1993. In 1995, however, following his suicide attempt Kitano returned to his "beat" roots, and released the slapstick comedy 'Getting Any?'.

Received incredibly well in it's home country 'Getting Any' was the biggest success of Kitano's first 5 features. The plot follows Dankan, a social loser obsessed with the idea that if he is to have sex he must first own a car, as no woman can resist a man with a car. The narrative is incredibly episodic, with Dankan jumping from one ridiculous situation to another; in this sense the film feels like a feature length sketch show, with some of the jokes landing and others not.

As the film continues it moves more and more into the realm of stupidity, leaving any semblance of character development and believability far behind. Dankan becomes an actor, a hit-man and half fly over the over-long 100 minute running time and, although never completely boring the film begins to feel tiresome as it nears its finale.

Overall 'Getting Any?' is the weakest I've seen Kitano and puts an end to the director's spree of touching, brilliant cinema (which thankfully later returns). I'd only recommend this if you're a big Kitano fan.
½ July 14, 2008
Hmm guess I must review this one again. Getting Any? starts out really funny and does a good job at keeping up that wacky tone throughout the movie. Kitano is funny as the mad scientist and the lead guy does look like the type who isn't good with the ladies but wishes he was. His journey to have car sex takes him across all different types of vehicles and assorted jobs/criminal attempts which he thinks will land him the big bucks to be able to do it. It's a classic slapstick comedy, but is totally unique to Japan. Sometimes a little dumb and boring, but overall enjoyable. In the end this movie is asking you Minna Yatsuteruka!!! :P
½ July 3, 2013

October 1, 2011
Loved this fucking movie, it actually made me laugh dozens of times -- awesome Takeshi, I'm glad I tracked this fucker down.