Getting Even With Dad - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Getting Even With Dad Reviews

½ September 14, 2009
Pretty fair movie, but not one I'd call "good." I have on VHS a movie that my dad taped of me and my aunts, cousins, etc., and my step-grandmother said when this movie's trailer came on tv, "That's going to be good." It's ok, but not good.
½ March 10, 2008
One of Macaulay Culkin's few movies after Home Alone where he tried hard to keep that "I'm a naughty cute kid" act that just didn't work for him anymore.
July 4, 2007
The only way to get even with everyone responsible for this movie is to rape their grandfathers with pickles filled with battery acid. Not exactly on of Macaulay Culkin's best movies. The plot is pretty pathetic.
June 6, 2011
a very funny family movie that makes getting even with your dad fun and hillarious. A
½ October 14, 2007
A pretty silly family fun movie but it's easy to like Culkin in this one.
August 15, 2006
For kids only. I loved it then, Saturday morning kid's club at the cinema... oh the nostalgia.
½ June 7, 2008
Who knew this wouldn't be such a huge it for Lil Mac. Richie Rich than this? No way he wasn't picking quality scripts.
½ June 15, 2007
It was probably this movie that ruined forever Macaulay Cuklin's movie career...Well, that and puberty...
½ March 24, 2015
Wannabee Home Alone cash grab. Burn this movie.
January 25, 2014
Though it is heavily formulaic and far from Home Alone's charm, Getting Even With Dad still has some laughs and a lot of heart along with Macaulay Culkin's decent, clever performance.
April 18, 2013
I like Macaulay Culkin and his films like the first two Home Alones, Uncle Buck, My Girl and The Pagemaster, and after seeing some tepid reviews and a very low ratings I was expecting not to like Getting Even with Dad. But I actually did. It isn't perfect, it is overlong with an obvious and predictable story and the pace slackens at times, but this is a much better film than I was led to believe.

It does look very nice, with good photography and scenery, and the soundtrack was mellow and engaging enough too. Getting Even with Dad does have some funny parts at the expense of Danson's inept sidekicks, and some poignant moments without being too mawkish. Howard Deutch is a talented director, and he proves it I think here, and I really enjoyed the performances of Macaulay Culkin and Ted Danson both of whom carry the movie with ease.

All in all, far from perfect but there are much worse out there. 6/10
October 24, 2012
Ray (Ted Dansonb) has to spend time with his son in order to get the coins back, this includes trips to a swimming park, a mini golf course and meals out, and for a while this is getting on his nerves, but actually over time the father is getting closer to and finding admiration for his son. Meanwhile the police are also trying to find the coins and catch the gang out, with Detective Theresa Walsh (Glenne Headly) going undercover to get close to the main man, and unintentionally falling for him.
September 9, 2012
Superb, Culkin is classic, Danson is immense... soundtrack unreal. One of my childhood favourites.
June 9, 2012
I think that if you look at this movie for what it is: just a fun feel-good family movie, then it does just that. No, it's not cinematic gold, but that's not what you're asking for when you see something like this. It's about feeling good and about a family coming together with a bit of laughs in between. Why try to grade this movie against something like Forrest Gump, The Godfather, etc? They're not the same kind of movie and that's like comparing apples to oranges.
May 17, 2012
Best film that has ever been made, anyone who rates this movie lower then 99% has serious brain issues which need immediate medical attention. Macaulay Culkin's finest work and easily better then the extremely over rated Home Alone films.
½ December 29, 2011
Wasn't THAT awful. But most made for family movies lack any kind of heart. Well maybe not Mrs. Doubtfire..
June 6, 2011
½ October 11, 2010
This is also a fun clean movie great story line very entertaining
July 12, 2010
Unfunny, bad acting, and unrealistic.
March 6, 2006
Bad family comedy, yet another loosr rip off of Macaulay Culkin's "Home Alone" success. Not very funny nor is it very entertaining. Poorly written and drags on.