El Buque Maldito (The Ghost Galleon)(Ship of Zombies)(Horror of the Zombies) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

El Buque Maldito (The Ghost Galleon)(Ship of Zombies)(Horror of the Zombies) Reviews

bbcfloridabound
July 14, 2011
This film came from the Mill Creek Drive In Movie Classics 50 Pack, which is kind of a surprise as its a decent film. Its also part of the Blind Dead Cult Series. In this one 2 girls are in the middle of the ocean on a small motor boat acting stranded in hopes of being rescued when the come across a 16th century Spanish Gallon, One climbs aboard the ship to see if anyone is aboard. This is a little comical of a movie, as she finds a transistor radio while on this 16th century ship. Also onboard are skeletons with hooded capes. Not sure these are really zombies as we never see them eat anyone people just disappear. All in all its worth the watch, something you would expect on chiller theater. 4 Stars
½ February 10, 2015
This came on Saturday Nightmares years ago on the USA Network and terrified me for weeks. This is probably the best "Blind Dead" movie of them all.
January 15, 2013
A bit weak, a little uneven, but still pretty eerie. The effects are cheap yet effective, and the Dead are pretty fun to watch on screen. The characters aren't too great, the plot is a bit slow, and the dubbing isn't perfect. The atmosphere is the real winner here. Overall, it's a decent little horror movie. Stands up pretty well with the rest of the series.
March 19, 2013
April 24, 2011
A solid third entry in Amando de Ossorio's Blind Dead series, The Ghost Galleon transfers the gothic horror of the blind, undead Knights Templar to a mysterious 16th century galleon that a pair of models discover floating in the ocean while on a publicity stunt. The galleon exists in another dimension, and all who come in contact with it fall prey to the Blind Dead. A stylish, eerie, and thoroughly entertaining gothic/zombie horror film that further solidifies the Blind Dead films as distinct horror classics and as original takes on the zombie genre.
July 24, 2010
June 10, 2010
Ahoy mates! The blind dead hit the high seas in this third entry into Amando De Ossorio's Blind Dead tetralogy. The concept of our skeletal blind dead figures on a rickety ghostly ship excited me at first. I got images of Edgar Allen Poe's M.S. in a Bottle and John Carpenter's The Fog in my mind. I grew up and still to this day enjoy ghost ship stories. I also enjoyed the first two blind dead films so the logical equation Ghost Ship + Blind Dead = Good should apply. Sadly not and The Ghost Galleon (aka Horror of the Zombies) comes off being the most shoddily made and easily the worst of the entire Blind Dead saga

Our plot opens with a roommate of a model showing up at her roommates place of work demanding to know where she is as she seems to have disappeared. Her boss refused to talk until the bitchy blond roommate threatens to go the police. The boss agrees and takes our blond bitch to a remote ship yard to meet some asshole who tells her that her roommate and another model are doing a publicity stunt. What the publicity stunt entails it doesn't go into detail with but it moronically includes two models on a small motorboat in the middle of the ocean. What kind of plot point is this? Our models sudden become surrounded by fog and a ghost galleon appears. They of course board and become blood meals for our blind foes. Our "heroes" (heroes are in quotes because every character in this film is completely despicable) set out on a boat to search for them. They of course come across the ghost galleon themselves and come face to face with the blind dead!

The only thing that makes this film somewhat watchable is the blind dead still have a frightening, creepy image especially aboard a creaky ghost galleon. However the rest of the film is completely moronic. The plot point of having models doing a publicity stunt in the middle of the ocean is to serve no other reason than to get babes in bathing suits aboard the galleon. In typical Ossorio fashion there is also a completely pointless rape sequence that serves nothing to the plot other than to just be exploitative. Ossorio also decides to not offer the audience a flashback sequence showing how our blind dead were created. This would have been especially helpful as no information is given why the blind dead are on a galleon! On the plus side however there is no stock footage from the original Tombs of the Blind Dead. The film is also plum full of horrible miniature effects. The worst thing about these poor model effect shots is that they were not needed. If Ossorio used clever film-making and editing he could have done away with shitty model boats and just worked around them. These effects are so bad that they make the model effects in Beyond the Door III/Amok Train look decent in comparison and they induce complete laughter, totally killing any suspense or scares the film was building up. The film-making itself is also far below par complete with poor editing and production values. Ossorio sadly isn't able to assemble any true suspense and he seems to be asleep behind the camera as well.

This is a truly awful sequel to what started out to be an interesting series of films. It's a real shame because it had a really cool, creepy concept but Ossorio doesn't seem to know how to flesh it out to be an interesting horror film. His poor plotting, slow pace, sloppy editing, bad effects and shitty characters makes this film more of a target for the B-movie crowd looking for a film to make fun of instead of a euro-horror crowd looking for some atmospheric suspense and scares. Surprisingly this entry didn't kill off the series and our eyeless stalkers return one more time in The Night of the Sea Gulls.
½ November 20, 2009
I am not even sure the dead are blind in this one. They might just be nearsighted and riddled with arthritis (since they move around pretty slowly but are able to ankle grab with considerable force).

I am convinced that the majority of the budget was spent on the model pirate ship and the boat set. Why am I convinced of this? Because there is only one bloody scene and the women do not have much to wear. So the red corn syrup and wardrobe budgets must have been minuscule.

One of the great mysteries of this movie, for me at least, is why a meteorologist from the weather bureau is an expert in the occult! Not only knowing how to drive the evil Templars back, but also knowing that the same fireball cross will not work again! HOW!?!

Once again, there is a lesbian couple, a forceful rape, jerks being jerky, and slow-moving victims who could easily get away if they just stepped a few feet out of the way. This time the Templars are blood thirsty and eat up their victims, I guess.

This one barely holds together. By the time, the heroes are dumping the coffins into the ocean, I was beyond amazed. How those three guys - a skirt wearing weakling, a coked out skinny, and a mildly cut muscle thug - could even lift one of these coffins, really is beyond belief.

I would recommend this one based on the horrible dubbing, particularly the scene in the captain's chamber where Coked Up and Thuggy Thug have their discussion. The Get Out, Don't Leave Me scene. And the stunning Blanca Estrada, even if she is not in it that much.
November 8, 2007
For some reason, I watched ths dubbed, under the impression that the Spanish language track was not present on the DVD because this was the first of the films that did not have two different cuts in the box set. Oops. It's not awful, but it's still universal dubbing (ie, not Italian style--they were all clearly speaking Spanish, I do believe) and a few of the voice actors were somewhat clunky.

Still, that's not the issue, as I always say, when it comes to a movie like this. I'd understood that this was a lesser entry, or an unusual entry, or something of that sort in de Ossorio's Blind Dead "series," even heard it was toned down to make it more family friendly. I had my doubts by the first time I saw some blood, and those doubts came to fruition not long after. This isn't a family movie, unless your family is composed of the kind of losers who watch movies just to mock ambitious people who lack finances.

Noemi (Bárbara Rey) is a fashion model as we open, being photographed by Lillian (Maria Perschy), who she then asks about the disappearance of her friend and fellow model Kathy (Blanca Estrada). Lillian attempts to fend her off but finds her too determined and threatened by her offer to call the police, so she takes her to Howard Tucker (Jack Taylor) who reveals that Kathy was involved in a publicity stunt to advertise his company's new boat, being stranded in the middle of the ocean to be found by someone in a major shipping channel (OK, yes, this is a truly bizarre stunt, but what the hell, I don't mind that much). Tucker and his man Sergio (Manuel de Blas) are in radio contact with Kathy and her partner Lorena (Margarita Merino) and continue to question them about the status of their "mission." The two girls are seeing no one, finding themselves in a strange heat and fog with nothing around, until they spy a ghostly ship. It bumps into them and Lorena, frustrated with their wasted time decides to investigate it to find help.

But we know who's on THAT ship--yes, the undead satanic knights are back. I don't know if series is the right word for these movies as the only major element they all have in common is excommunicated knights who worshipped Satan, nothing else implies they are in any way connected, not even in the way Romero's dead movies are. Now, there's definitely some common threads that de Ossorio likes to ride--yes, another rape--and even some particular gags, his love for the skeletal hands prying their way out of coffins, crates and tombs being a clear favourite. It seemed, though, that the ghostly ship and its set design (simplistic but pretty effective) made for possibly the best setting for these costumes, this time letting us see the masks and so on in greater detail, which is actually not a bad thing as they're pretty good (methinks de Ossorio poured a lot of money into them in the beginning). It's nothing amazing, groundbreaking or particularly new, but it's always nice to see our (now not-so-blind) undead knight "friends" roaming around again, with a spirit a little more in line with the first film than the one immediately preceding this one.
½ September 3, 2007
Blah. The absolute worst of the series. The pacing is nearly unbearable. The writing... well, I don't know who thought this was an idea even worth trying.

And the toy ship! HYSTERICAL!
½ August 2, 2007
Give it a break! SUre the movie did come out as well as it should, but the story is still awesome and its still good for some laughs! The series is a landmark for Spanish Horror and if part III did do so poorly I am sure part IV would have not been so creative in revamping the series! Do not give up hope with this movie, Night of the Seagulls is a much needed improvement!
July 20, 2007
As time progressed, horror movies often found themselves constantly pushing the boundaries in an effort to become more terrifying than the horror movies of long past. Most horror movies that did this, especially those in the 1980's and today, ended up featuring completely over-the-top gore.

The third "Blind Dead" movie, "The Ghost Galleon" is notable for the fact that instead of taking this route it instead features over-the-top atmosphere. Ridiculously thick fog shrouds the ocean and the titular galleon in such a way that one is reminded of John Carpenter's superior "The Fog".

The atmosphere is definately creepy and mysterious and the Blind Dead look as good as ever, but that's about all this movie has going for it. The plot is really sketchy, there's nothing resembling characterization, it's remarkably restrained and it plods along at a horrible pace.

I'd give it a lower rank if it wasn't for the fact that the Blind Dead are still great horror villains, even when they are trapped on a ghost ship, and there's some sort of B movie charm to this that I can't really explain. Besides, you could do a lot worse as far as foreign horror films are concerned.
March 16, 2007
AKA: Horror of the Zombies. Very low budget Spanish film about a ghost pirate ship, zombies, exorcism and how to be a bad actor. Dreadfully stupid, laughably bad dialogue and apparently it was directed by one of the zombies in the film.
October 18, 2006
The "Blind Dead" are still creepy and atmospheric in this entry in the series but all of the drive and momentum of the early films is gone by this point and the viewer is left with a not-very-involving horror yarn on the high seas.
April 23, 2016
The least enjoyable of three Blind Dead movies I have seen. Hopefully the fourth and last one will be better.
The absence of nudity and gore don't help the film but the fact that it no longer takes place at the village made no sense.
½ February 10, 2015
½ April 6, 2014
Creepier than I expected.
March 10, 2014
Horror Of The Zombies features the two most popular stars in Spanish horror. Austrian-born Maria Perschy, and American expatriate Jack Taylor who starred in a string of no-budget shockers for Jess Franco and decided he couldn't go home ever again. And yet Horror Of The Zombies was the least successful of the Blind Dead quartet. Perhaps the film strayed too far from the formula, although how could you go wrong: girls in bikinis on a boat with zombies? Despite its limited scope, micro-cast and tendency to be stage-bound, it's still an entertaining exercise in tension, atmospheric and illogic, and the empty eye sockets of the Knights Templar are always a welcome sight.

All I can say now is "Welcome aboard" for a cruise into another dimension... of TERROR!... with the 1974 Horror Of The Zombies.
January 15, 2013