Ghost in the Machine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ghost in the Machine Reviews

bbcfloridabound
April 3, 2008
Its a great movie, 1993 time frame so the computers are somewhat of a joke, but who am I to talk I once paid $249.99 for a Commodore 1541 Disk Drive. I wouldn't show it to Young Children (Under 17) because of the cussing near the end of the movie, that?s just me. If you allow your children to hear cussing, then its on you. A somewhat entertaining movie for adults.
garyX
June 6, 2007
A murderer is zapped into a computer and starts killing using household appliances. This lame sci-fi spin on the serial killer movie is as bad as it sounds (the last I heard, tin openers weren't online...) Maximum Overdrive had a similar concept, but at least that had a sense of humour, and more importantly, AC/DC.
½ April 28, 2007
Impressively inane techno-thriller.
September 3, 2012
A murderous ghost in electronics who uses this special ability to kill his victims. Campy but fun, lots of interesting deaths and tongue in cheek moments. Not the best sci-fi film, but quite fun to watch.
½ September 1, 2014
A truly terrible and inexcusable abortion of a film viewing experience. The stars seemingly align to make this one of the worst films I can ever recall viewing, and not that special good kind of bad; this is the straight up 'would rather eat broken glass' bad-bad. Clearly written as a wanna be Wes Craven movie as it borrows heavily from another all time horrible movie, 'Shocker'. When thinking about it, there is not even one thing this movie is able to accomplish with any shred of competency.

To start with, the script is absolutely deplorable. Like 'I must have misheard what they said, because there is no way a human being would ever say that out loud.' Solidly garbage throughout with a heavy sprinkling of some of the worst lines perhaps of all time. There is no way in Hell that anything other than a chimpanzee with down-syndrome wrote and approved this sort of dialogue. It really is right up there as the worst I've ever heard. Unbelievable shit is really all I can say.

The acting is only .2 degrees better. Featuring Wes Craven castoffs like Brandon Adams and Karl Hochman, and introducing us to Wil Horneff, the most horrific child actor the world has ever seen. There isn't one actor here who should have been able to book the 'Non-Speaking Extra #8' role for the Reno Community Theater without sleeping with the director first. As with the script, there is absolutely nothing positive to mention at all. All actors involved should be sterilized for the betterment of future generations.

At its most basic core, the concept for the plot could have been at least interesting. A cyberspace bound killer who kills through electronic devices. Could have at least been halfway entertaining right? Not in this instance. First and foremost is that the technology on display here is the most antiquated and obsolete crap ever made. Even the computers used in the 70's would have been infinitely cooler. This theme of terrible early '90s dating isn't limited to the technology though, it oozes onto everything and somehow debilitates the film even further than its horrific script and acting allows. It just feels dirty and greasy. The plot is frittered away with meaningless scenes, mind numbing stupidity , and all around lack of tension, believability and talent.

Top to bottom, this is a one of a kind soul-raping fiasco. Please do not waste a second of your time on it. So terrible that I literally couldn't bring myself to close my mouth, as it just hung open in the disbelief of the trash on display before me. If this film was a person, I would follow him home and light his house on fire.
½ October 9, 2011

½ April 3, 2012
This has got to be one of the worse I've ever seen. So bad but is somehow beyond 'so bad it's good,' probably because it takes it's ridiculous plot-line too seriously, as if it was actually going to be able to scare a few people. It tries to make technology scary but only shows off how dated it is by all of the old technology and terrible 'virtual reality' effects (and by the babysitter turning on 'In Living Color' and rocking out to the hip music). The movie is so stupid. A dog drowns itself in a pool after a VCR spits a tape out onto its face which I guess convinces it to, a man survives a crash test dummy collision into a wall only to be killed by a fucking hand dryer, a dishwasher causes someone to be electrocuted to death. The kills could not be worse, and good kills are pretty much the only thing you can hope for in a really bad horror movie. I've got to be honest, this one was hard for me to finish. It made Maximum Overdrive look like a masterpiece of the machines gone wild genre. Between this and Freddy's Dead, anyone would be a fool to hire Rachel Talalay as a director again.
February 12, 2010
a great creepy horror film of the 90's a true shockfest filled with terror and suspense at the same time I highly recommend it
October 19, 2009
** (out of four)

Strange horror/fantasy film about a serial killer who is killed and then gets into the electrical system. He finds more inventive ways to kill people, using electrical appliances. His ultimate victim is a single mom (Karen Allen).

Odd idea that never works.
½ July 27, 2009
Can anyone tell me why this movie freaked me out so bad when I was a kid? I just watched it again for the first time in over ten years, and dang, that was pretty lame. Scary story, but the execution was just not good.
July 17, 2008
[i][b]Creepshow 2[/b][/i] - I don't understand how anyone could have enjoyed this. It lacks all of the spunk, laughs and, rather unfortunately, frights of the original film, though that one was pretty skimpy on those as well. This is an anthology film in which none of the three (skimpy!) vignettes work. Usually at least one or two will shine a light on the lame experience. Not here. Not at all. Cigar store Indian, evil lake-dwelling tarp and undead hitchhiker? Dreadful. [b]* (out of ****) D[/b]

[i][b]Demon Knight[/b][/i] - Billy Zane and Jada Pinkett have lots of fun in this gore-filled piece of stale bread. Demons attack a small group of weird folks at a seedy motel (if memory serves). Arms are torn off, nipples are clipped and attached to batteries (Thomas Haden Church must be so proud) and hilarity (both intentional and unintentional) ensues. Meh. I prefer the show. It was about an hour shorter. [b]*1/2 (out of ****) C-[/b]

[i][b]Disturbing Behavior[/b][/i] - Pretty much an extended episode of [i]The X-Files[/i] without Mulder, Scully or anyone remotely as interesting as anyone on [i]The X-Files[/i]. Katie Holmes and Nick Stahl do their best with shit roles, and we're interested for about a half hour of this trite nonsense, but when the ridiculous finale rears its ugly face, we give up, cash out and run for the liquor cabinet. [b]*1/2 (out of ****) D+

[i]Fear[/i][/b] - I enjoy James Foley's [i]Fear[/i] on about the same level as I enjoyed his latest film, the much-hated Halle Berry thriller [i]Perfect Stranger[/i]. It's complete trash, but it's captivating trash. I like it, but I wouldn't dare recommend it. To anyone. [b]** (out of ****) C

[i]Ghost in the Machine[/i][/b] - Conference for [i]Ghost in the Machine[/i]: "Hey! Lets make the most illogical, lame-brained and terribly written movie ever! Oh, and we'll fill it with sick gore effects that look totally fake!" I voted no in this little layer cake of shitty ideas, but the stupidity in the room was, rather obviously and unfortunately, overwhelming to my poor little hand. [b]Zero Stars (out of ****) F[/b]
½ April 27, 2008
A film that was really meant for the 80's, Ghost in the Machine is just that; a serial killer who's soul transfers from his dead body to a computer mainframe, allowing him to transport through various machinery and kill people this way. This film is hilarious and far from scary, but definitely worth a watch with beer and friends for a very good time. Love it.
½ May 20, 2006
What an awful movie. Watch it by mistake thinking it was Ghost in the Shell, bad I felt stupid. So yourself a favor and don't watch this.
½ January 23, 2006
[u][b]Brokeback Mountain[/b][/u]
Good movie! Heath Ledger's acting was excellent! (Surprising) I still do not see why the state of Montana BANNED it! I think it just got more ppl around the US to want to see it! ha ha.

[u][b]Underword: Evolution[/b][/u]
Kate, you are hot. Other than her hot-ness, the movie was quite lacking. Too much blood, the kate-sex-scene was too long (and pointless) and the plot was b-movie-ish.

But, it was entertaining nonetheless.

[b][u]Ghost in the Machine[/u][/b]
Ha ha. This movie was hillarious!!!!!!!!! If you like campy sci-fi and computer-type stuff, this is great. :) Totally unreolistic and bad graphics but very funny. Plot = serial killer dies on his way to kill a woman and her teenage son. He gets into the internet and continues to kill ppl from the internet - hacking into their houses and electricity. Would have been great to see "Mystery Science Theatre" do!

[b][u]Village of the Damned[/u][/b]
Much more enjoyable than the re-make. Kids were more endeering too - not just creepy. Good stuff.
July 25, 2008
Pretty Bad..I Always Was Thinking, Why Should She Just NOT Use The Bloody Computers!? Duh!!! Life Is Possible Without Constant IT Connection.
½ October 3, 2014
With the film's solid premise and impressive visual effects, Ghost In The Machine makes for a unique horror techno-thriller with solid performances by Karen Allen and Chris Mulkey.
½ September 1, 2014

November 27, 2012
Karl Hochman is a technician at a computer store and is also the Adress book killer. He steals adress books from people and kills the people in the book. Terry Munroe and her son visit the store and her adress book is used as a demonstration for a hand held scanner. Karl gets ahold of it and while coming after Terry he gets in a car accident and his vehicle turns upside down and into a cemetery. While getting a Cat scan at the hospital a huge lightning storm hits the hospital and now Karls mind transforms into electrical energy and he uses computers and electrical equipment to continue his mission of killing Terry and her friends. I thought this was a terrific sci-fi/horror movie. Definitely gives you the creeps. The computer animation of the killer was pretty neat and there was some interesting ways they killed people. The acting was also well done. Karen Allen and Rick Duccomen was the only ones a recognized. It's kind of nonsensical but still pretty fun movie to watch.
May 30, 2013
Very fun but dimwitted 90's techno-thriller.