Ghosts of the Abyss - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ghosts of the Abyss Reviews

jjnxn
August 13, 2007
Disappointingly full of platitudes.
May 1, 2012
"Ghosts of the Abyss" is a sci-fi type documentary. James Cameron and Bill Paxton along with a group of scientists, historians, and deep sea explorers head down to explore the remains of Titanic. It's visually stunning to see the ship at the ocean floor. The way it has deteriorated, yet parts like stain glass windows remain beautiful and intact. Runs only at 64 minutes, which is a good run time as the movie does become a little boring mid way through. This was designed for 3D Imax, so watching it on DVD on a 55 inch tv, really doesn't seem to do it the justice is deserves. At home it's kind of just a boring exploration of a fascinating subject. But, I'm sure on a 3D Imax screen this is a real experience.
June 18, 2007
Ghost of the Abyss is better.
½ September 23, 2007
Really interesting documentary about director James Cameron and his crew exploring the remains of the Titanic with their adorable filming robots, comparing the wreck to original footage and telling the stories of the people involved in the tragic catastrophe. Almost more exciting than the actual movie.
CloudStrife84
½ July 16, 2007
An impressive documentary by one of my favourite film-makers of all time, who here takes us to the deep watery grave of the legendary Titanic. Director James Cameron's love and fascination for this widely famous ship really extends through the eye of the camera, making it hard to not be enthralled by the mysteries and stories dwelling within. It's definitely a must-see for those who loved the preceding movie from 1997. Thereby myself included.
½ April 13, 2012
Ghosts of the Abyss is one of the best Titanic documentaries; delivering a rich and interactive look at the wreckage site. With new specialized equipment, James Cameron leads a new expedition to the wreckage of the Titanic and goes further into the ship than ever before. Using a blend of underwater footage superimposed with live action sage footage, the film delivers a real sense of the dimensions and feel of the ship. The film also has an added sense of poignancy, given that Cameron's expedition coincided with the 2001 attack on the World Trade Center; presenting an interesting parallel of one disaster being explored during the mist of another. Ghosts of the Abyss is a fascinating documentary and serves as a perfect companion piece to James Cameron's 1997 epic film; revealing the fact behind the fiction.
January 20, 2010
Hmm...they have a trailer for the Abyss linked with this film. Tut tut! There was this movie called Titanic and this was an after shoot that very few people saw but it is really something. Like the best Discovery documentary on steriods.
January 22, 2010
This documentary was lent to me by a friend of mine and who is also a Titanic buff. I was leant a regular dvd copy of this film and now im searching like a mad man to see if this does in fact exist on blu-ray format. When i find it it will be added to the Kyle collection effective immediatly. Aside from Michael Moore's documentaries this has to be one of the best documentaries i have ever had the pleasure of watching. Director James Cameron (Titanic, Avatar, The Abyss) with a must have been very very expensive team of scientists and divers including actor Bill Paxton journey miles off the coast of Newfoundland to the orginal site where on April 14th 1912 the massive ocean liner the Rms Titanic struck an iceberg and sunk to the bottom of the Atlantic where it has lied silently for 98 years in its watery grave. Their mission there, to submerge inside two mini subs armed with floating specially made mini robotic cameras and journey down to where the ruins of the Titanic remain, Did I mention big bucks!!?? Its lucky James Cameron had a hefty payday from the motion picture Titanic or i dont think this whole mission would have been financially visable. We as the audience get to watch a very very nervous Bill Paxton question his sub's operator as they prep for Bill's first dive, the what ifs. We also get to sit back and lose ourself in one of the most fascinating yet horrific happenings of the 20th century. Cameron's robotic cameras take us where no other man has journeyed yet even photographed, inside the hull as it remains today. A definate future own for myself and a definate watch for everyone.
December 24, 2007
I think it could have been longer and more in depth - it was really cool to see the Titanic underwater though.
DrLappos
½ July 18, 2007
Superb film by one of my favourite directors. Well worth a watch of the spooky deep sea scenes.
March 5, 2015
Ghosts of The Abyss is an interesting continuation of James Cameron's exploration of the Titanic wreckage. Complete with Bill Paxton, this documentary feels like it would have been better suited as a special feature to compliment the 1997 movie. Although it's a bit lackluster for a feature film, it is a fascinating viewing experience. Many of the shots are breathtaking, especially when superimposed with CGI images of the original ship and passengers. There's a surreal feeling to this film, as the dates of this exploration overlapped with the events of September 11th, 2001. As the crew was focused on this historic tragedy, another one was taking place. I enjoyed this for what it is, but I can't give it a very high rating. Sadly, there's just not a whole lot to it.
½ August 30, 2013
The emotional effects of the tragedy still remains like the wreck, but Cameron's journey to the real setting of his so-called masterpiece managed to be better than "Titanic" (as I expected it to be) because of the amazing (and sometimes somewhat creepy) underwater visuals and adding scenes of the ship's old days, serving as a prequel, sequel and remake. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
½ August 4, 2012
Very cool documentary about James Cameron's further exploration of the Titanic wreck. I would've liked it to be a little longer. But, the discoveries, and even the drama of failing equipment keeps it fresh. I recommend it, especially if you like "Titanic".
½ June 14, 2012
a good tribute to a beautiful ship, the visuals were amazing, i think it could of been better, i wish it lasted longer, i also think it would of been good if they played more music as your seeing imagery of the ship like at the end.
i didn't like parts where it went on about the history because as a person really interested in the titanic, i was being given alot of information i already knew, i can't complain too much but as they have so much more footage they should release more.
September 21, 2011
Funny coincidence: GHOSTS OF THE ABYSS is about the Titanic; it's directed by James Cameron, who directed both the 1997 film TITANIC and the similarly-titled (but ultimately-unrelated 1989 film THE ABYSS. Just thought I'd mention that.
GHOSTS OF THE ABYSS is a smooth, but overly slow, documentary about the investigation of the Titanic. It picks up just about where TITANIC left off (except without the romance, drama, Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet), even though made six years later as a factual film. The process in which everything is captured is slightly uneven, but if you want to see a Titanic movie that isn't all lovey-dovey and kissey-blissey (I don't know...I guess I just made that last one up), watch GHOSTS OF THE ABYSS. The only two big things you'll miss that you won't when watching TITANIC are the memorability and the epic.
blizzpirate
½ November 22, 2010
January 15, 2009
A interesting look at the titanic with underwater technology. Doesn't add up to what I expected to see from a James Cameron film, but it still worked. A good idea equaling an ok result.
December 18, 2008
I haven't seen [i]Titanic[/i] and I don't intend to. There. I said it. And the thing is, when it came out, I was about its perfect demographic. I would have been, what, 22? Supposedly, I should have been swooning over Leonardo DiCaprio. I should have been wanting to be Kate Winslet. (Now, Kate Winslet being pursued by Johnny Depp--that would've been something!) I was supposed to be all caught up in the drama and all. Women my age were seeing the movie over and over again. And I? Not interested. Still not interested. And if I [i]were[/i] going to watch it, which I'm not, I'd probably be cheering on Billy Zane, whom I love. Even though I'm given to understand that he's a bit of a mustache twirler in this.

James Cameron, who's clearly a bit of an obsessive, has descended to the ocean floor again to look over the ruins of the [i]Titanic[/i]. For some obscure reason, he has chosen to bring along Bill Paxton. Sure, he'd been in the movie, and he showed himself able to track tornadoes shortly before that, and before that he traveled in space, but I'm still not sure he's the guy I'd want to be performing, you know, [i]real world exploration.[/i] It could be just me, but I'd want experts. Scientists, possibly. Certainly guys whose experience did not involve pretending to know what they were doing. Then again, James Cameron's experience largely involves getting other people to pretend to know what they're doing, so there we are.

Maybe I would have liked this more if I actually cared about the [i]Titanic[/i]. I simply don't. They mention early on that they could be spending the same amount of effort looking at ships like the [i]Lusitania[/i], but they kind of brush that off. It's a shame. The thing is, I think there's something to be [i]learned[/i] from looking at the [i]Lusitania[/i]. We might finally be able to solve the question as to whether it was destroyed because it was carrying munitions. That's a genuine historical question. I believe the ruins of the [i]Maine[/i] are still in Havana harbour, though I suppose that'd get into complicated politics. The point is, I can see a lot of things more beneficial to the greater scope of human understanding than just looking at the [i]Titanic[/i] over and over again.

Besides that, there's a lot of chintzy computer animation of the little probe thingies going into the ship itself, and the hokey overlays of what I can only assume is footage from the movie. Maybe it's only in the extended DVD cut, but I find myself doubting that. I'm not a big fan of Cameron as a director, frankly, and it strikes me as the sort of thing he'd want to put in so it could seem more impressive. And, to me, it didn't. Sorry, James Cameron. I understand that he wanted to get us into his own passion for the events of that cold night. I do. I understand the intent of the movie just fine. I'm just saying that it didn't work for me.

Normally, I don't make the "money could be spent elsewhere" argument. Gods know that James Cameron has the money to burn, and he's certainly allowed to spend that money as he likes. However, I think the obsession that our society has with the [i]Titanic[/i] is frankly weird. I'm not okay with relics being brought up from the ocean floor, because I think it gives the obsessives that much more to focus on, and because I think it's grave robbing. But I think Cameron is doing his own trading on the dead, though I doubt he sees it that way. Imagine the good he could be doing if he spent his money on something that wasn't studied all to pieces.
½ October 7, 2008
It was a great documentary that took you down into the Titanic and see that famous ship in its final resting place.