Ghosts of the Abyss Reviews

jjnxn
August 13, 2007
Disappointingly full of platitudes.
May 1, 2012
"Ghosts of the Abyss" is a sci-fi type documentary. James Cameron and Bill Paxton along with a group of scientists, historians, and deep sea explorers head down to explore the remains of Titanic. It's visually stunning to see the ship at the ocean floor. The way it has deteriorated, yet parts like stain glass windows remain beautiful and intact. Runs only at 64 minutes, which is a good run time as the movie does become a little boring mid way through. This was designed for 3D Imax, so watching it on DVD on a 55 inch tv, really doesn't seem to do it the justice is deserves. At home it's kind of just a boring exploration of a fascinating subject. But, I'm sure on a 3D Imax screen this is a real experience.
June 18, 2007
Ghost of the Abyss is better.
½ September 23, 2007
Really interesting documentary about director James Cameron and his crew exploring the remains of the Titanic with their adorable filming robots, comparing the wreck to original footage and telling the stories of the people involved in the tragic catastrophe. Almost more exciting than the actual movie.
CloudStrife84
½ July 16, 2007
An impressive documentary by one of my favourite film-makers of all time, who here takes us to the deep watery grave of the legendary Titanic. Director James Cameron's love and fascination for this widely famous ship really extends through the eye of the camera, making it hard to not be enthralled by the mysteries and stories dwelling within. It's definitely a must-see for those who loved the preceding movie from 1997. Thereby myself included.
½ April 13, 2012
Ghosts of the Abyss is one of the best Titanic documentaries; delivering a rich and interactive look at the wreckage site. With new specialized equipment, James Cameron leads a new expedition to the wreckage of the Titanic and goes further into the ship than ever before. Using a blend of underwater footage superimposed with live action sage footage, the film delivers a real sense of the dimensions and feel of the ship. The film also has an added sense of poignancy, given that Cameron's expedition coincided with the 2001 attack on the World Trade Center; presenting an interesting parallel of one disaster being explored during the mist of another. Ghosts of the Abyss is a fascinating documentary and serves as a perfect companion piece to James Cameron's 1997 epic film; revealing the fact behind the fiction.
January 20, 2010
Hmm...they have a trailer for the Abyss linked with this film. Tut tut! There was this movie called Titanic and this was an after shoot that very few people saw but it is really something. Like the best Discovery documentary on steriods.
January 22, 2010
This documentary was lent to me by a friend of mine and who is also a Titanic buff. I was leant a regular dvd copy of this film and now im searching like a mad man to see if this does in fact exist on blu-ray format. When i find it it will be added to the Kyle collection effective immediatly. Aside from Michael Moore's documentaries this has to be one of the best documentaries i have ever had the pleasure of watching. Director James Cameron (Titanic, Avatar, The Abyss) with a must have been very very expensive team of scientists and divers including actor Bill Paxton journey miles off the coast of Newfoundland to the orginal site where on April 14th 1912 the massive ocean liner the Rms Titanic struck an iceberg and sunk to the bottom of the Atlantic where it has lied silently for 98 years in its watery grave. Their mission there, to submerge inside two mini subs armed with floating specially made mini robotic cameras and journey down to where the ruins of the Titanic remain, Did I mention big bucks!!?? Its lucky James Cameron had a hefty payday from the motion picture Titanic or i dont think this whole mission would have been financially visable. We as the audience get to watch a very very nervous Bill Paxton question his sub's operator as they prep for Bill's first dive, the what ifs. We also get to sit back and lose ourself in one of the most fascinating yet horrific happenings of the 20th century. Cameron's robotic cameras take us where no other man has journeyed yet even photographed, inside the hull as it remains today. A definate future own for myself and a definate watch for everyone.
December 24, 2007
I think it could have been longer and more in depth - it was really cool to see the Titanic underwater though.
DrLappos
½ July 18, 2007
Superb film by one of my favourite directors. Well worth a watch of the spooky deep sea scenes.
September 21, 2011
Funny coincidence: GHOSTS OF THE ABYSS is about the Titanic; it's directed by James Cameron, who directed both the 1997 film TITANIC and the similarly-titled (but ultimately-unrelated 1989 film THE ABYSS. Just thought I'd mention that.
GHOSTS OF THE ABYSS is a smooth, but overly slow, documentary about the investigation of the Titanic. It picks up just about where TITANIC left off (except without the romance, drama, Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet), even though made six years later as a factual film. The process in which everything is captured is slightly uneven, but if you want to see a Titanic movie that isn't all lovey-dovey and kissey-blissey (I don't know...I guess I just made that last one up), watch GHOSTS OF THE ABYSS. The only two big things you'll miss that you won't when watching TITANIC are the memorability and the epic.
½ October 7, 2008
It was a great documentary that took you down into the Titanic and see that famous ship in its final resting place.
½ September 10, 2008
For all fans of James Cameron's movie - you have to watch this to get all the wonderful backgruond work that was done for this movie.
June 23, 2008
This IMAX film was fabulous! I love the story of the Titanic, and this did not disappoint. That James Cameron really knows how to make a film. Bill Paxton is funny, as he's scared to be that far down in a little submersible. The film overlays the historical pics of the Titanic, with pictures of the wreck, with live action. Very neat effect. Brings it to life. Nothing will do to see this film except IMAX.
½ August 11, 2007
Very good documentary. Paxton & Cameron look like kids in a candy store. Make sure you watch the bonus features too. Turns out that they were filming this during the September 11th attacks.
October 22, 2007
If you like the Titanic, you'll love this. So much cool stuff that no one had ever seen before. Highly recommended.
½ October 19, 2007
sad to see what the old ship is looking like now and the movie wasnt as good as seeing the ship but you cant have everything
½ August 18, 2007
I love the Titanic, and Jim Cameron is pretty cool, so this was a real treat, especially with some of the stuff they found.
½ June 7, 2007
A must see for anyone interested in history, the Titanic, and 3D movies in general. Wonderfully shot! It takes you deeper into the Titanic wreckage then ever before.
½ March 17, 2007
the movie is undescribable.... gotta see it for yourself. well done. the reenactments help place where people and objects were, and gives you a deeper understanding of what went on that fatefull day.