Gidget

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Gidget Reviews

AJ V

September 5, 2010
This movie was the beginning of the surfing movie trend of the 60s, I think, and a classic teen film. It's not a great movie, but I liked it anyway.
Apeneck F

August 24, 2008
a real bit of you-had-to-have-been-there americana...the earnest yet perky late sandra dee (doris day, only younger), old school hunky-w/o-the-steroids james darren, and cliff robertson as the big kahuna (yep, this is where that expression enters the american lexicon, baby!), together again for the first time in the 1960's first coming of age beach story starring and starting america's dream infatuation with the girl/midget
Eduardo T

June 16, 2012
A very innocent and cute film. I'm not a surfer nor do I want to be so theirs not much I can say about this one. Except for how good it was in every aspect of film making. The writing was okay. Their was nothing special or something that would stick in your head. The story itself is a good one. It's mostly about acceptance and coming of age. So if your a young girl that likes to surf, watch this. It would probably be one of your favorites. The directing was not special. It was okay, it did a good job on capturing the visual beauty of the ocean but that's about it. The acting was decent. Once again, nothing too special but it's not like the acting had you crying. Their was a real cuteness to the acting style present in this film. The production values have to be the best part. Very well put together. Overall, this film is visually beautiful with a cuteness atmosphere. You could literally catch some waves on it. I would recommend this film to people that like stunning classics.
Patrick D

August 20, 2007
Good ol' fashion presque-60s superfun. You have to love Sandra Dee, she's the absolute ultimate. It's not an amazing movie but it's a classic. Apparently it's the film the kick started the surf movie craze. What's the best part in the film is twice when James Darren, or "Moondoggie", busts into the Gidget theme song, which is just the misogynist cherry stuck on the top of the 'traditional values' sunday of this movie. "She may not be king sized but her finger still ring sized/ Gidget is the one for me."
August 3, 2010
This is a 1960s beach classic. This is the movie that really ushered in the beach movies of the 1960s and it's actually not too bad. Sandra Dee does a great job in the role, although everything in the movie is sensationalized, of course. The characters really aren't believable, but it doesn't really take away from the overall feel of the film. It's just supposed to be a fun teen romp with a good moral to the story and I think it does that pretty well.
jam233
January 5, 2010
October 11, 2009
I have seen this movie so many times and always enjoyed watching it. It such a good story and love Gidget.
January 19, 2009
*blink* Goodness. A surfer movie. Haven't seen many of those, actually. I think my parents generally shielded me from them, and this must be why. This movie had like... three seconds of anything actually interesting to watch. The rest of the time I amused myself by laughing at the whole thing. I mean, really, HOW can you take a movie seriously when its leading man goes by "Moondoggie"? Come on now... 1
July 14, 2007
The first beach film of its kind and one of my all-time favorites. Sandra Dee is probably the best Gidget of the two girls that followed her. It's a cute fluffy movie, not meant to be taken seriously. Enjoyable.
June 17, 2007
Pure fluff. A girl gets the idea that she wants to be a surfer to get some guys to notice her. She does that, but she goes to silly lengths to get the guy to notice her. It works in the end, but most real guys wouldn't fall for it.
June 8, 2007
Sandra Dee. On the beach. Even knowing that this would result in instant cliches didn't really detract from the movie as a whole.
February 15, 2007
My ultimate favorite movie!
I was living w dad in NC when i rented this. A cpl months later i learned about the second and third movie (took me yrs to find them)
margomoore1
February 7, 2007
I have watched this movie over and over and loved it everytime. It may be cheesy, but it's a favorite of mine!
Eduardo T

June 16, 2012
AndrewRCraven
January 1, 2011
For a 'not rated' movie from 1959, you might be surprised at some of the themes and innuendos in this coming-of-age and beach/surfing movie. The main character (a smallish, tomboyish girl heading into her Senior year of high school) is repeatedly worried about 'becoming a woman' and discusses a number of thinly coded references to sexual behavior but is utimately hoping to get 'pinned'. (An actual pin worn on the sweater) Still, as a glimpse of a time-gone-by--in what was certainly a more innocent age than current times--it's an enjoyable romp on the waves and the shore. 8/1/9
December 30, 2010
A cute and wonderful film full of teen angst. A great nostalgic movie just to get lost in that time. The cast gives a fun and lighthearted performance throughout. Also interesting to see Cliff Robertson in such an early role before seeing him as Uncle Ben.
UOVEROPINIONATEDDOUCHES
September 8, 2010
Based on a girl's diary of her traveling to the beach from the suburbs and getting to know the the beach bums - This was first mainstream movie to introduce surfing to the masses and the ultimate killer to the early surfers bohemian lifestyle - I'm also reading Miki Dora's...Moondoggie?... story and he talks about how this movie brought the droves to the beaches and changed them forever - No Frankie and Annette beach blanket bong out but a somewhat realistic and by all means fluffier look at the times...it's truly a love story in disguise - What starts as a interest in surfing soon leads to a love and then the drama...and the songs begin - Yes...there are a couple of crooners in the middle that are ok but it was '59 and a love story with James Darren so you gotta figure it in - An overall reality skimmer of a look back at the era but none the less a well put together fun movie
Alexis Z.
July 23, 2009
It has an innocent teenager And James Darren! THat by itself desevs an excellent rating. It also has romance and comedy that turns it into a need to watch classic
jazza923
March 31, 2005
The best of all the Gidget movies, and the television series. Sandra Dee is perfectly cast as the tomboyish teenager. Obviously, the movie is not deep or significant, but it is cute fun. It also started the big trend of beach movies, so popular in the 1960's. T