Gigli

Gigli Reviews

MANUGINO
MANUGINO

February 6, 2010
Life doesn't play by the rules.

Mediocre movie! Overall this is not the `worst film ever made', those who tell you that have clearly have a limited viewing experience; many of the reviews were made harsher by the back lash against the whole Bennifer thing. However that's not to say they are wrong - only overly harsh. The film is poorly judged in almost every aspect and is too hard to enjoy as a result. Has about 3 good moments in it, but it is an overwhelming shambles.

Gigli, a lowly and inept hitman, is assigned a job by the mob to kidnap a mentally retarded brother of a California district attorney. Gigli abducts the brother from his mental hospital and holds him hostage in his apartment. Ricki, a "lesbian assassin", is sent to oversee Gigli's job and make sure he doesn't screw it up. Comedic high jinks ensue as the two go on the lam and start to fall in love.
Spencer S

August 8, 2010
When Conan O'Brien just has to say the name of your movie to get a big laugh in his opening monologue every night for two months, you know you've screwed up. It was for that exact reason that I set out to watch this flop for the first time since it came out, ten long years ago, and it was so much worse than I could have expected. Usually films that are bad, and feature big stars, at least have a gimmick, maybe some off-color jokes, or have a bloated budget, but there's no reason for this unmitigated tripe. There is no budget, the script is atrocious, and the characters are either one sided, conceited, or plain dumb. The premise alone is staggeringly awful: a very low level mobster (Ben Affleck a gangster? Really?) has to kidnap the brother of a federal prosecutor, who happens to be mentally challenged. That alone should stop you if you are reading the script. He does so with minimal effort, which is strange, because you would think there would be a lot of security for someone so vulnerable. Then waltzes in the other lead, Jennifer Lopez, as a hired gun, who happens to be a lesbian. I will say that at least they represent her as someone who deals with the traps and tribulations of relationships and comes out the other side the same as any hetero, when speaking about her relationship with another woman. Still, her sexuality, which is dealt with right off the bat, is pivoted once she starts hanging around Affleck's character. The mentally challenged character is also handled poorly, as he oftentimes rings his hands wildly and asks to go meet girls at the "Baywatch" time and again. Justin Bartha is in this role, and it baffles me that it doesn't follow him around the same way the others have suffered for this flop. There are some brief cameos from Christopher Walken and Al Pacino that are twenty times more entertaining, but most of this film concerns this strange love story between the goon and the lesbian. They barely leave the apartment, talk to anyone, or do much of anything (if cutting a dead guy's thumb off doesn't count). Most of that doesn't even matter, because the background score for this film is so loud and obnoxious you can't hear the actor's voices over it, which makes this feel as cheap and sleazy as the rest of the movie. It's so pathetically contrived and icky at all times, and not one person can justify to me why this film needed to be made.
Christian C

April 4, 2013
OMG! It's like watching a train wreck (without the dead people). Sadly, I can't say there are no injuries -- at least as far as public respect might go. I thought this was so bad that on reflection, it became funny. Think "funny" in the sense that "The Room" is funny for all its delicious incompetence. This movie is a must-see for anyone into truly bad cinema -- but if you're looking for simple entertainment or nonvegitative stimulation, this film ain't for you.
stevenecarrier
stevenecarrier

March 21, 2011
The reason "Gigli" gets the moniker of "worst movie ever made" (which is a gross exaggeration) is because it was released in the heyday of 'Bennifer'- Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck's insanely high profile romantic relationship. Audiences wanted to see their favorite couple in the greatest romantic comedy of all time but instead they got a meaningless, meandering, overly talky gangster picture that tries desperately to be a new age romantic comedy. "Gigli" has very few bright spots and I mean that in all honesty. Jennifer Lopez is the main reason to see the film (if that is much of one at all). Her resume is weak to say the least with only two or three credible performances to speak of- "Gigli" is surprisingly one of them. Her approach to the film is serious but with just enough of a 'wink, wink, nudge, nudge' carelessness to make it credible. She also handles her monologues quite well, something Ben Affleck crashes and burns with at every chance. Christopher Walken and Al Pacino also add a few points as well and like Lopez, do well with their dialogue. But in the end, "Gigli" is just plain bizarre. It has no idea what it wants to be (a romantic comedy, a mob picture), what it wants to say (about people leading violent lives, about sexual ambiguity, about the politics of crime) or what it wants to make you feel and worst of all, it's just plain boring most of the time.
middleeasternfilms
middleeasternfilms

June 1, 2008
This is a bad movie. It is NOT, however, a horrible movie. I have seen far worse films than this. The storyline is ridiculous and the film tries to be too funny where no written humor exists. Surprisingly, Ben Affleck turns in an almost solid performance as a low-level criminal who kldnaps a federal prosecutor's mentally challenged brother and gets "help" in the form of a female lesbian criminal whom he ends up falling in love with. J-Lo's acting in this film is the worst kind of tripe. She phones in her performance so much that the long-distance rates must be outrageous on her part. Al Pacino is equally unbearable as the obnoxious criminal who is setting all this up to avoid prison time. At the time this film was made, "Bennifer" was getting shoved down everyone's throat and that must've been why the film got such bd reviews. NOT the worst film ever made; probably not even in the bottom 100. But...it still sucks, yes.
Ken S

May 10, 2007
Ridiculous in its premise, vomit inducing in its sentimentality and everyone involved should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. It's like the screen plays for Chasing Amy and Midnight Run we're spliced together by someone on Ketamine.
Conner R

November 19, 2009
While it is not the worst movie ever made like many people claim, it is certainly not good. The story was unintelligent and corny. Justin Bartha gave a horrible performance as a mentally challenged young man. The movie depended on it's cast to deliver and they didn't. It looks cheap and has no meaning.
garyX
garyX

June 1, 2007
And so I finally make it round to the legendary Gigli, a mob so-called "comedy" that sees Ben Affleck as a misogynistic hitman unwillingly paired with intellectual lesbian hitperson Jennifer Lopez to babysit the mentally impaired brother of a federal prosecutor. The reputation of this cinematic trainwreck has completely proceeded it, and I must admit I approached the film with a combination of dread and morbid curiosity. And what a mess it truly is. Affleck has never been the most charismatic of actors, but in this he is truly DREADFUL! A thoroughly unlikeable cartoon cut-out who goes through the most unbelievably unconvincing cinematic "growing as a person" motions in the company of Lopez, who plays her part like a guest on the Springer show reading pretentious bullshit off cue cards. All the so-called humour is offensively patronising being virtually solely at the expense of the mentally ill and the script is a series of completely random situations in which the two show absolutely zero chemistry. The attempts at examining gender politics are inane and the only time it raised a laugh from me is when Christopher Walken (who had clearly been smoking crack) appeared with one of the most bizarre performances I've ever seen! It's one of the most cringeworthy cinematic experiences I've ever endured, although I'd have to say it's not the worst because it is almost mesmerising in it's absurdity. To be fair, I only made it through the first hour (and for that I think I deserve a medal) but the only excuse I can think of for watching this embarrassingly poorly written tripe is to see just how bad it really is. Half a star for the film, plus one more for Walken's clearly mindboggling stash of hallucinogens...
SilentWarProductions2009
December 2, 2006
Directed by: Martin Brest.
Starring: Ben Affleck, Jennifer Lopez, Justin Bartha.

There is a rant that Jennifer Lopez's character says during the film. She goes on about a Japanese technique of gouging out someone's eyeball and taking a part of the visual cortex with it, not only taking the eye out, but removing visual memory all together. Now Jennifer certainly teased the audience throughout the film by showing off her hot body in the tamest way possible and never going any further...but that wasn't as bad as the tease she gave in that rant, something that I wish she did to me right after I finished watching the film. I must say though that the film is an achievement...it has made my number 2 spot on my worst films list.

Review coming soon.
sainttom93
sainttom93

July 25, 2007
bad, bad, bad
Michael G

November 23, 2006
This movie is pure torture, but the Christopher Walken scene was so random and bizarre that it made the rest of this war crime justified.
Dann M

July 31, 2014
Worthy of every bit of its infamous reputation, Gigli is an amazingly bad rom-com. Ben Affleck gives a terrible performance, as does Jennifer Lopez. And it's only made worse by the cameos of Christopher Walken and Al Pacino (who show-up everyone who dares to share the screen with them). But part of the problem can be attributed to the writing, as the dialog is horrendous. The tone of the film is also an issue, as there's a lot of disparate elements that don't quite fit together. While Gigli has a few things going for it, is ends up being a disastrous mess.
Hawaiianguy2991
Hawaiianguy2991

May 17, 2010
Larry Gigli (Ben Affleck), a lowly hit man in Los Angeles, who is looking to finally score big, lands the perfect "job". He is assigned to kidnap Brian (Justin Bartha), the psychologically challenged younger brother of a powerful federal prosecutor, in order to save his mobster boss from incarceration. Holed-up in his one-bedroom apartment with his kidnap victim Brian, Gigli starts to realize that what he thought would be a routine assignment has become a daunting and unwieldy task. Ricki (Jennifer Lopez), a beautiful, independent-minded female gangster, is sent to assist Gigli with the kidnapping, as his boss doesn't have faith that Gigli can carry out the job on his own. But when his feelings for the mysterious Ricki begin to grow, and he becomes genuinely concerned for the vulnerable Brian, tough guy Gigli begins to change his tough exterior, into a more human, sensitive one.

Firstly, before I begin my rant on how terrible this film is. Anyone who is curious to see this movie on the basis of learning yet more about the widely praised "Bennifer" love affair don't bother. These two have about as much chemistry as a baby kitten, and approximately the same capacity for acting. Bearing in mind that this movie is what spawned that ultra-expensive relationship, I would hope that Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez have a damn good prenuptial agreement. I would equate the experience of viewing Gigli with being shot in the face, except that I would imagine that the suffering inflicted by being shot in the face ends rather abruptly by the merciful release of death. There is no merciful release here, but don't think you won't be praying for death. There is absolutely no reason to see this movie. The plot is paper-thin and roughly as dry, the dialogue is cheesy and moronic, and the acting is trash (as you might expect). Now, it's not just that the movie is badly directed or ruined by the "acting" of Ben & Jen. The script itself is so utterly and completely awful that it's difficult to imagine anyone reading it and not throwing up all over themselves. But our two lovebirds wiped the vomit off and dove in headlong. The presence of Oscar winners Al Pacino and Christopher Walken is even more incomprehensible. Were they forced at gunpoint to be in this movie? Drugged? Who knows. Raunchy conversations and love scene so stupid that it is physically painful round out a thoroughly dreadful movie going experience. Gigli is proof that films can really make their audiences suffer deeply.

Story: F

no stars out of 4 stars
Angel G.
Angel G.

December 29, 2012
Gigli...original title, huh? Gigli tries to be a smart comedy-crime movie, instead it has no comedy nor crime, its just a boring 2 hour movie with nothing interesting in it and goes to new lows on the two genre's. Now, the performers: Ben Affleck is supposed to play this smooth and charming hit-man...instead he plays an absolute d***, who is angry with poor Justin Bartha who has mental problems, screaming and shouting at him, and thinking he's the boss. Affleck is unappealing, uninteresting and just dumb, never thought he was the leader in the movie, but good thing his career changed thanks to his other films and the ones his directing (Gone Baby Gone, The Town, Argo). Justin Bartha plays the mental person in this movie, and even though he sometimes is appealing, he also was annoying and loud, but at least you kinda feel bad for his character who has those problems, so he was a so-so to me. The best performance in the movie (and probably the only thing good in the movie) was Jennifer Lopez, she was cute, charming, appealing, sexy and she looked like the leader in the movie more the Affleck. Still, she has that line in the movie..."It's turkey time..gobble gobble"...it leaves you saying "...what?", so yeah it was nice to know that the female lead wasn't terrible, she was better than I thought. However, the messy and terrible script can't save Lopez's exceptional acting, making her look worse with Affleck and anybody involved in this movie. Also, Affleck and Lopez have absolutely no chemistry, it looked force and they were at that time "Bennifer"...how can there chemistry fail? Makes you wonder why it failed. Then we go too the cameos of Christopher Walken who gave the most bizarre performance ever, everything he was saying didn't make any sense (again, terrible script) and Al Pacino who had no meaning whatsoever to be in the film, he was there to be.....there. In the end Gigli has no thrills, a few empty chuckles, a waste of talented actors, a messy script, lackluster chemistry between its leads, it's 2 hours of boringness and it never decides what it wants to be, worst movie of all time? not really but its the biggest train wreck of a movie I have ever seen.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

January 15, 2007
I saw this movie and hated every minute of it. If this is considered a love story between Lopez and Affleck, my I ask...where was the love?
Erin C

August 5, 2012
Not nearly as terrible as I expected - I heard terrible reviews, but it wasn't THAT bad. True, it was pretty silly and a little long (it could have been shortened by at least a half an hour), but there were some funny parts.
Laurence C

April 12, 2010
The term 'unwatchable' gets batted around all too easily in the realm of film criticism, but Holy Christ, I think we have here a stinker that lives up to that particular expression. Sitting through Gigli is an endurance test-- this is a catastrophe of immeasurable proportions, blessed with one of the worst screenplays ever produced by a major studio and released over 2,000 screens across America. Martin Brest's film tries to dodge conventions and be 'edgy' material, but it absolutely does not have the brain cells to even function as a movie of its own. We are given no sense of character to these type-A bad screenwriter offsprings, and the 'plot' they swim in is simply non-existent. There is no drive, no conflict, no momentum to Gigli-- just an endless, slackly-edited run of the most horrific hard-boiled dialogue imaginable. Marred by a broadly uncharismatic lead turn by Ben Affleck and a deeply unconvincing Jennifer Lopez posing as a lesbian female gangster, Gigli may not be one of the worst movies of all time, but fuck it-- it is, for my money, one of the worst film viewing experiences of all time. You need not see it to be believe it.
iLeo
iLeo

December 10, 2007
Despite the bad reviews, I liked the fact that the female character was a lesbian. It's not very often that a lead female role is a lesbian.
nickymo89
nickymo89

June 28, 2007
It really did deserve all the bad hype. Ben Affleck was laughable with that accent!