Ginger & Rosa Reviews

July 25, 2013
Elle Fanning's performance and Sally Potter's beautiful direction and wonderful utilization of 1960s atmosphere allows Ginger & Rosa to become more than the sum of its parts. It's a coming of age story and a period piece all rolled in to one, but more importantly its a character study that miraculously transfers the protagonist's deeply emotional internal tension to the audience with incredible power.
Harlequin68
½ April 1, 2013
As corny as this may sound, Ginger(Elle Fanning) and Rosa(Alice Englert) are well-nigh impossible to separate since before they were born when their respective mothers(Christina Hendricks & Jodhi May) met in a maternity ward in 1945. Together, they confront their nuclear fears in different ways. Ginger takes to protests and meetings while Rosa finds religion.

While Rosa has never really known her father, Ginger has Roland(Alessandro Nivola) as her father, as he prefers to be known to her, when he is not sleeping elsewhere which includes his boat. As Roland puts it, he refused to enter the military during World War II, and was jailed for his beliefs, the worst part being in solitary, but is too self-righteous to wonder why people did not act differently than he did.

Ever since her first feature, the classic "Orlando," Sally Potter's films have sadly been a prime case of diminishing returns. With her latest, the evocative, yet flawed "Ginger & Rosa" which moves to its own syncopated rhythm to match the jazz records on the soundtrack, she arrests that trend somewhat by thoughtfully exploring the connection between the personal and the political while not being the first person to conflate nuclear family and nuclear explosions. By having another red-headed protagonist who seeks to be a poet, Potter is saying there is nothing greater to fear than being alone at a time in 1962 when the world was facing nuclear annihilation, which concerned citizens responded with protests in England.

Note to self: get a jazz band for the next protest.
themoviewaffler.com
½ October 22, 2012
It seems while Dakota Fanning was in the U.K filming the detestable "Now is Good", her much more talented little sister, Elle, was in the same country shooting Sally Potter's latest. It's a cliched 1960's coming of age tale which mixes the plots of "The Squid & the Whale" and this year's "Albatross" but lacks the charm of either. In recent years we've become used to seeing American movies starring Brits but here it's a reversal with most of the lead roles played by Americans. Robbie Ryan's cinematography and Fanning's performance are both commendable but otherwise there's little of interest on display.
½ September 29, 2013
Ginger&Rosa(2013)
Starring:Elle Fanning,Alice Englart,Jodhi May,Christina Hendricks,Annette Bening,Alessandro Nivola,Oliver Platt,Timothy Spall
Written and Directed By:Sally Potter
My Review
"Because what really matters is to live. And if we do, there will be nothing to forgive."
A plot mixture is not always the best thing in any film but if done right it can lead to something good. I'v seen it done in comic book movies recently but in dramas well let's face facts if there in dramas i barley notice them. I read in a review that this film is a plot mixture as to how or what it's a mixture of I have no clue. But the most shocking thing about this movie to me is that thought both Dakota and Elle Fanning where in this movie and I was wrong.
Ginger & Rosa is about two girls who live in London in the 1960's and dream of being friends forever. Both rebel against their mothers: Rosa's single mum,and Ginger's frustrated painter mother, Natalie. Meanwhile, Ginger's pacifist father, Roland seems a romantic, bohemian figure to the girls. He encourages Ginger's 'Ban-the-Bomb' activism, while Rosa starts to take a very different interest in him. As Ginger's parents fight and fall apart, Ginger finds emotional sanctuary with a gay couple, both named Mark,and their American friend, the poet Bella. Finally, as the Cuban Missile Crisis escalates - and it seems the world itself may come to an end - the lifelong friendship of the two girls is shattered. Ginger clutches at one hope; if she can help save the world from extinction, perhaps she too will survive this moment of personal devastation.
I didn't feel much throughout the film but if ever in the film I do feel something it's for the character of Ginger. She is the most interesting of two main girls in the movie. She is an activist who doesn't want to die yet and joins community's about the government not using nuclear weapons. She wants to become a poet like her father once was. The scenes you feel for her the most are in the last thirty minutes of the film. Elle Fanning convey's a sense of misery as her character which is why you feel bad her. She did a wonderful job. Alice Englart and the other characters all do a great job as well.
These two girls get a five out of five from me. If you have the chance to see the DVD or Blu-ray pick it up, it's an amazing film that should be watched.
½ April 4, 2013
A small movie for perhaps an even smaller audience, Ginger & Rosa is a coming-of-age/sexual awakening tale of two close girlfriends growing up in London in 1962 at the height of the frantic and worrisome Cuban Missile Crisis. Ginger (an exceptional Elle Fanning) has found her life turned upside down when her squabbling parents - the put-upon, under-appreciated, one-time artist mother (Mad Men's Christina Hendricks) and the esteemed, bohemian, philandering professor father (Alessandro Nivola) - decide to separate and her closest friend Rosa (Alice Englert) could care less as she is more interested in wearing eye shadow and nail polish to impress the random teenage boy. To become more active and to distract herself from her own life's unraveling situation (thanks, Rosa!), Ginger takes on the cause of nuclear disarmament after being swayed by the conversations of her mother's political activist friends (Platt, Spall and Bening). No matter the obstacles Ginger takes upon herself, the various actions of her family are what ultimately threaten the young girl and her well-being.

Ginger & Rosa is a decent film that will not appeal to a mass audience. It is a slow-moving character-study of the film's strongest character, Ginger. Luckily Rosa -- a character who is very hard to like from the get-go (selfish) -- isn't really featured enough to merit her name in the title. Some will see the film as ponderous as the young Ginger strives to find reason and purpose; but she is a realistic character and Fanning is subtle in some scenes and fantastic in others.
½ November 9, 2014
Set in 1960s, Ginger and Rosa is the dramatic tale of two friends by birth, mainly depicting the events in their teen years, how the circumstances they encounter threaten to destroy their bond. The movie highly banks on the performances of Elle Fanning and Alice Englert and they did complete justification to their respective roles; the former completely dominating in the role of Ginger. Though there is not much story going behind, the screenplay and the performances keeps the movie engaging.
½ October 3, 2014
good movie thats very well done about 2 girls growing up post WW2. Some good performances and interesting subjects make this a worthwhile watch. Its a little artsy and ends a little melodramatically. this is one of the few times i have seen a filmmaker make England look beautiful.
½ August 5, 2014
Yeah yeah, off-putting direction, bla bla, good final act, who cares. Can we just talk about what an incredible actress Elle Fanning is? Let's pray that when the big roles and salaries come knocking, she won't follow in the footsteps of earlier teen actresses and squander her immense talent.
July 8, 2014
Bella y tormentosa historia sobre dos adolescentes nacidas en familias disfuncionales abrumadas por el hostil periodo de tensión de la guerra fria y la amenaza de la bomba atómica. Los conflictos externos e internos pondrán a prueba su caracter, su creatividad y sobre todo su jurada eterna amistad. Elle Fanning se gradua como excelente actriz. Annette Bening irreconocible físicamente.
½ May 15, 2014
Elle fanning's play is delicate ,sensitive and awesome.
The picture is beautiful.
½ May 12, 2014
Ginger and Rosa tries to present itself as a deep, indie, coming-of-age movie but instead comes off as just a little too melodramatic and self-important. Scenes that were supposed to be raw just seemed choppy, and silences that meant to be artistic ended up dragging on well past the "ok, we get the point" mark. However, the movie definitely presented some interesting and timeless themes, even if the director frequently forwent subtly in favor of shoving them down your throat (artistically; see above). Even so, the idea of the world ending on a literal global level and also a figurative family life level was very thought provoking. So, in summary, this was a film that tried to be artsy and thought provoking, instead came off as trying too hard, but nevertheless still managed put out a handful of beautiful scenes and thought provoking themes.
½ April 16, 2014
I doubt anyone can say that this is a bad movie itself, but the problem comes when besides being a good movie (very enjoyable and dramatic indeed) it offers little besides some good drama, writing and directing. Many will end up feeling that this movie couldve presented its core subjects with much more depth, like family, friendship,conflict, love, puberty, leaving it a tad shallow and and ultimately not as good as it couldve really been. Still, the movie offers great acting from pretty much all the cast, also some great writing, and some both heartwarming and heartbreaking moments that really make this more than just an average drama.
½ August 9, 2013
Here is one of my personal favorite films. Ginger and Rosa speaks to a part of me that hovers on the periphery of my consciousness every day - ever vigilant. Elle Fanning is a wonder - possibly the most talented actress to emerge from her generation. She plays titular character Ginger with such grace that I felt lost in her. She consumed my soul whole - like an oyster, and still, months after I have watched the film, I can feel her inside of me - moving through my veins. All at once and in spite of myself, I fell passionately in love with her. Elle's Ginger was a real human being - raw, intelligent, emotional, cynical, and wildly philosophical - so aware of the world and the universe around her. I cried with her when she broke down in the final fifteen minutes of the film. I could feel everything that was happening and I was just as completely alone as she was. I felt so terrible for her when it was all over. She did not know yet, at least not fully, how alone she would be throughout her life - surrounded by bodies but still stranded on an island of the aware, the conscious, and the human. People would not understand her, they would not empathize with her, they would be forever reaching to help her but consistently falling short. I felt such a kinship with her and I saw myself inside of her. I wanted to reach out, to offer her not solace but simply truth - the hard truth she would have to eventually learn. While her peers and the people around her ambled through life without ever truly opening their eyes, she would see everything all of the time and very few would understand that. I could feel her rage, confusion, and despair as she questioned how any of them could continue going through life as if the world were not on the cusp of destruction - how any of them could not equate how what was happening in Cuba and the United States would affect the human race. The end of the world. Combined with the turmoil in her life with her parents and her friend Rosa, it tore her asunder. I don't think that inaction on the matter made sense to her. The only character in the film that I wasn't too taken with was Ginger's father, Roland, played by Alessandro Nivola. For most of the film, I respected him and his philosophies on life but in the penultimate climactic scene, I felt like he was playing his cards a little too hard - baring what he wanted us to believe was his soul more out of sympathy or performance rather than out of a necessity to communicate. My disdain for him however is no fault to the film but rather a testament to the script, the actor, and the director Sally Potter's vision. And what a director she was. I did not have any complaints with her work and she gently sweeps you into this story with incredible ease and grace. I think that she should have gotten more recognition for that. Alice Englert never seems to disappoint and she definitely rose to the occasion in Ginger and Rosa. As Rosa, she was alluring, mysterious, confused, and, as contradictory as it sounds, confidently wayward. Even though I did not want to like her character, I really did, and I am still confused with myself for it. It is undoubtedly an ode to the actresses ability to embody a character that does not meld with your values, even brazenly shuns them, but still manages to appeal to your heart. Annette Bening, Timothy Spall, Oliver Platt, and Christina Hendricks supported the film without fault. They were each of them an excellent choice for the characters and all a welcome presence on the screen at any given time. Ginger gives a short monologue at the end of the film laced with underlying philosophies that I live my life by - another connection perhaps strengthening both my love for her and the film entire. Her voice is the last that we hear. I sat through the credits. I think anyone else would be compelled to too. I would watch this again but sparingly - like a glass of aged wine, and I'd love to share it with those closest to me. Solid 9/10 - no question.
½ March 18, 2014
soporific piece of shat.ugh. lasted 20 minutes and had to turn it off. Dredful.
½ December 30, 2013
A nicely done dark coming of age movie that is powered by strong performances and the interactions between the characters.
½ August 21, 2013
The only thing good about the movie is Elle Fanning's performance.
½ January 7, 2014
While solidly acted, Ginger & Rosa is exceedingly dull and never reaches any of the dramatic depth that it so vehemently strives for.
½ January 4, 2014
Elle Fanning was spot on.
December 24, 2013
Plot, though significant, takes second place to a beautiful textured and personal film. Elle Fanning is simply gifted. She seems to absolutely inhabit every emotion in the smallest twitch of her cheek, the intensity of her eyes, her ability to shift moods with that quick smile. Timothy Spall is always wonderful and a great pairing with Oliver Platt as two gay 'bears', kind and patient. Annette Benning is a wonderful choice in a minor role. This is a wonderful film, but young Fanning never ceases to inspire wonder.
July 25, 2013