63% Hercules Jul 25

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Girl Can't Help It Reviews

AJ V

September 5, 2010
It's the old story of the gangster who wants his girl to be a star that's the plot for this movie, and it's a very funny plot. Together with good actors and a rock soundtrack, this is a great movie, I loved it.
September 11, 2012
It was ok. The music was the big hit. Jayne was beautiful, but it was a very silly move and role. I didn't know she died at 34 in a car crash, and that semi trucks must now have bars at the back of the truck (also called Mansfield bar) to prevent cars from going under semis in a crash, until I looked her up while watching the movie. :(
jam233
February 26, 2010
This is worth seeing just for the incredible music alone. It?s a dated comedy, but it now adds to it?s charm. Jayne Mansfield is fun, Tom Ewell does well in a typical role for him. Edmond O?Brien is great, especially with some of his celebrity imitations. Great production, good sound, costumes, art direction and cinematography.
bballgirl1334
June 27, 2009
It sort of reminds me of Marilyn Moonroe /Love Me or Leave me with Doris Day/ and Jailhouse Rock with Elvis idea rolled in to one with some differnt ideas..... my point is i feel like i've seen movies like this that are close to being the same... but i gusse that doesnt matter cuz I liked it..
carlivit
May 29, 2009
One of my favorite '50s comedies steals from Born Yesturday and Citizen Kane. It is basically a cartoon without animation that both critiques and celebrates commercialism and the American dream. It also has a great theme song by Little Richard that mirrors the story and some of the best early rock performances to ever grace a film.
RADMANofVNB
July 6, 2008
Jayne was a better Marilyn than Marilyn, smaller waist, bigger boobs and a bimbo to die for back when women were built like women
July 10, 2007
"The Girl Can't Help It" is a rock and roll classic starring Jayne Mansfield and Tom Ewell (of "The 7 Year Itch" fame). Jayne made this movie soon after signing a long-term contract with 20th Century Fox in 1956, and it definitely a hallmark of her film career. "TGCHI" is essential viewing for any Jayne Mansfield fan!
John Tandlich
February 26, 2013
A gangster hires a theatrical agent to make his girlfriend a singing star. This movie has two good points and they are Jayne Mansfield. The film contains many performaces by 1950s era rock and rollers Little Richard, Fats Domino, The Platters and many others. Throw in numerous instances of bawdy sexual innuendo and slapstick gangster humor makes this film a fast paced musical-comedy.
July 8, 2012
My GAWD! is this film fun! Easily it's one of the best Rock 'N Roll Musicals coming out of the late 50's, having style, witty humor and tremendous acting. As well as being a clear Influence on Woody Allen's 1993 Bullets Over Broadway.
KevinRobbins
November 9, 2011
A story about music, love, and marriage

A talent agent is contacted by the local mob and informed that he will turn a beauty into a star. He reluctantly takes on the project but as he gets to know the beauty he is inspired to help her reach her goals; however, as he gets to know her he realizes her goals do not match the gangster's vision. Can the talent agent accomplish both their goals, the beauty's and the gangsters?

"She's just a girl."
"If she's a girl I don't know what my sister is."

Frank Tashlin, director of Caprice, Marry Me Again, Hollywood or Bust, The First Time, Susan Slept Here, and The Glass Bottom Boat, delivers The Girl Can't Help It. The storyline for this picture is a bit slow initially but gains steam as Jayne Mansfield is more and more involved in the picture. The script is solid and the cast delivers solid performances and includes Mansfield, Tom Ewell, Edmond O'Brien, Julie London, and Juanita Moore.

"Put it on my tab."
"If I can find room."

My wife DVR'd this picture when she discovered it starred a young Jayne Mansfield that we both feel is an underrated actress. This film was fairly cliché until Mansfield took the film over and gave it pizzazz and direction as well as a larger than life character. She was truly stunning but also fantastic at her craft. This movie is definitely worth your time.

"Pretty is just how good you apply the base."

Grade: B+/A-
July 31, 2011
Je l'ai vu c'est bon la musique est bonne et la Jane Mansfiel est surprenante!
April 25, 2011
Jayne's best film and her assets are put to good use. The music is great. 1950's sultry symbol Julie London sings Cry Me A River
jazza923
February 26, 2010
69/100. This is worth seeing just for the incredible music alone. It's a dated comedy, but it now adds to it's charm. Jayne Mansfield is fun, Tom Ewell does well in a typical role for him. Edmond O'Brien is great, especially with some of his celebrity imitations. Great production, good sound, costumes, art direction and cinematography.
Brad Z.
October 20, 2009
Satire without the smarts and farce without the funny. "The Girl Cant Help It" has a lot to say about the entertainment industry and its devices, but its dreadful to watch.
4.4/10
gillianren
November 23, 2008
We've done Jayne Mansfield before, and we haven't gotten to Mamie Van Doren yet. However, from what I can see, Jayne Mansfield could act, and I've seen Mamie Van Doren in a few things--she couldn't. Besides, she never became quite as iconic, for all she's still flashing her breasts around. (Actually, the way Mamie Van Doren acts now is kind of repulsive--it's the way Mansfield flashed her breats, but Mansfield died at 34. Mamie Van Doren [i]is still doing it.[/i]) In fact, the places this movie suffers the most are the ones wherein Mansfield is obviously trying to be Marilyn Monroe. It's well known that there were a lot of essentially Monroe impersonators at the time, and certainly Mansfield was one of them. But there are also places where her talent shows through, and it's disappointing when they take that away for her to simper and coo.

Tom Miller (Tom Ewell) is a fading agent. He had one big success with Julie London (apparently a real singer), but his romantic interest in her took second place to pushing her to have a career, and they broke up both romatically and professionally. It's while he's in this has-been state that Marty "Fats" Murdock (Edmond O'Brian) brings him in and essentially orders him to make his girlfriend, Georgianne "Jerri" Jordan (Mansfield) a singing star. Now, Miller knows it's not as easy as snapping your fingers, but he starts making connections. He takes her out on the town, shows her off, and won't tell the various nightclub managers what she does. And the next day, they find a rehearsal studio so he can find out what she does. Of course, he knows she's going to be a singer--Fats said so--so he has her sing, and she does. And it's awful. And if he doesn't make her a star, Fats--a former mobster--is going to be very displeased.

Frankly, I was expecting a much worse movie than this. In my head, perhaps in most people's heads, Jayne Mansfield was just another proto-Monroe, a woman whose talent was her breasts. And they were pretty spectacular. But, you know, we watched [i]Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?[/i] a while back, and that was pretty funny, too. I shouldn't have gone in expecting bad. I should have gone in expecting light and silly. It is awfully silly, the more so when she fakes that little Monroe coo, but it's still funny. Oh, the painful kind of funny here and there, but funny nonetheless. The acting tends to be rather burlesque, but it works with the storyline. No one should be taking this seriously.

According to the box, people call it the best rock 'n' roll film ever made. I can't think who; whoever it is must not consider [i]A Hard Day's Night[/i] or [i]Help![/i] rock 'n' roll films. It is true that there are an awful lot of musical numbers by still-famous people--Fats Domino, for example, and Little Richard. However, in several places, it just feels like padding. It just [i]is[/i] padding, honestly. Oh, it's not bad, and I think the plot could have been padded out to fill the spots currently taken by, oh, The Platters, but it is padding nonetheless. I mean, do we really need not one but three performances of "The Rock Pile Rock"? (I think that's what it was called.) We do not. But there it is.

I'm developing a fondness for Jayne Mansfield, but I think it's interesting to compare her career to her daughter's. You see, her daughter is Mariska Hargitay from [i]Law & Order: Special Victims Unit[/i]. Which means one odd little comparison. Jayne Mansfield's career was built on sex. She projected it, probably even when she was doing the fine acting I believe she accomplished in the few serious films she did. What's more, that sex probably helped diminish her career as much as it built it up, because that was all people saw of her--those breasts. On the other hand, Mariska Hargitay has made her career fighting against all kinds of sexual perversion. And she was on that fateful car ride. Probably it's coincidence, but it's still worth considering.
treygirl
March 25, 2006
Janye Mansfield in one of her greatest roles! A drunken, washedup agent is hired by a former racketteer to transform his beautiful, tonedeaf girlfriend into a big star.Great cameos by the most popular musicians of the time,and Tom Ewell is amazing.Worth a look!:fresh: