Donne-moi la main (Give Me Your Hand) Reviews

jjnxn
February 12, 2010
Disjointed story of that doesn't make a lot of sense or seems to have much of a point.
½ January 7, 2014
Ethereal French road movie about 2 twins travelling through France to Spain by any means necessary to get to the funeral of the mother they have never met.
It's basically a tale of a fraternal relationship. There isn't much story. The journey is punctuated with sexual encounters and some rather physical fights between the two brothers.
There is a character arc here...kind of, but it is clumsily done. It's very well shot, but there isn't anything memorable and the end of the film is an inelegant finish.
½ August 25, 2012
Beautifully shot exploration of brotherhood and intimacy
June 21, 2011
"Two kids from a garden" as the chanson is telling us, sung by the remarkable Colette Magny (1963), are set to go into the world on a sentimental and mysterious journey in hopes to be at their mother's funeral, mother they never knew. The mixed and surprising characters they come across and interact with are absolutely fantastic.

Antoine and Quentin the handsome twins could not look more alike and be as different as day and night. They are used to people come and go into their lives bringing joy and pain. "Where are you going?" one of the twins asked, but there was no answer, she just kept walking away, it was the natural thing to do.

Life is a bunch of chances, "Que Sera, Sera" (Whatever Will Be, Will Be) and we are riding along this amazingly written, directed and acted independent film. The images are beautiful the soundtrack is hunting and the very close brothers are astounding. You don't want them to hurt each other or be separated, but they do and we care. They communicate through feelings and deep emotions, they sense each other even if they are not together. I wanted the film to keep going and going, to go across the universe and back, I would have never gotten tired riding along.
April 12, 2011
Stunning imagery but felt airy, yet actually is a good picture and is, overlooked and understated by critics. Few moments are either mediocre or unconvincing, though all - in - all there's quite a concrete backdrop, if it had picked - up a sustainable exponential pace and re - run few details(the wounds, fainting, drowning, etc.), it would have been more compelling. The acting quality was ranging back and forth, often. Gestures, emptiness of words(that further emphasized the unspoken tension), and simple symbolism(trees) gave the film an eccentric taste and griping urge from the audience to stay interested and sense the intricately twisted connection between the twins while seeing the differences that's ripping them apart. Added to that, the twins are adorable and fits their role perfectly. Still, could be reduced to half it's time and arrive to this conclusion, it lacks general dynamics, the condensed entity of this movie is way too small, although it's a very appealing journey.
July 2, 2010
Not to the taste of most Americans, this is a beautifully filmed contemplation on the nature of brotherhood and the effect of discovered secrets in the relationship of a pair of twins on a road trip to attend the funeral of the mother they've never known. The boys clearly feel strongly for each other but have trouble dealing with some of the events that occur on the road to Spain.
½ February 9, 2010
Sparing the 10 cent words, I liked this flick. It had a different look compared to other gay films and the limited dialogue I thought worked well with the film. I thought it had an emotional punch to it. I like strand releases. If you're looking for something dfferent in the world of gay movies, check it out.