The Glimmer Man Reviews

March 26, 2012
Got a love/hate relationship with Seagal and his films, on one hand they are all completely nonsense of the highest order and rarely any good (unless your a Seagal fan of course). Its the same old formula with Seagal, ALWAYS being some kind of special forces guy or elite police force guy or ex-military guy etc...and called upon to save the good old US of A from nasty villains, always taking it very easy in the process (I've never really seen the guy run much during the action), always looks the same and always uses an obvious stunt double for everything lol!

On the other hand you can't complain because like JCVD or Arnie his films do what they say on the tin and everyone knows what to expect, if you don't like this type of film then you obviously don't watch. Many do watch because Seagal is one of the old 80's action man pack and does provide your daily fix of gratuitous violence and bloodshed.

This is probably one of his last better offerings before he got too fat and entered into the 'straight to DVD hell' of seemingly no return. We see Seagal in all his glory, providing his own wardrobe I assume as I have gotten the impression over the years he insists on wearing his 'ethnic' attire no matter what role he plays lol! I think he likes to be seen as a spiritual warrior of the East.

The action is predictable as is the plot and the characters are your typical mismatched duo with the obligatory unfunny quips from Wayans. Its basically the same old Seagal in the same old role doing the same old shit with the same old stunt double, guys run at Seagal, he touches them, they throw themselves head over heels through a window.

To be honest I never knew how or why Seagal managed to get into action films as the guy displays the least amount of action I've ever seen in an action film, but I guess some like his stuff and this isn't too bad, just don't expect any surprises.
middleeasternfilms
½ April 20, 2008
A bit darker than most buddy-cop genre films, but the teaming of Seagal and Wayans does work in many ways. The movie moves along too fast at times and a bit slower at others, but this was the last truly halfway-decent film Seagal made (with the exception of Into The Sun). It's not Rush Hour, true, but thank God it's not becuase if Wayans was even half as annoying (and unfunny) as Chris Tucker, then I would've thrown this DVD into the fireplace before the classroom scene.
½ August 26, 2007
U gotta check this one out...It's way Cool!!
kpn666
February 22, 2007
Much more action thriller than all out action - would make a good decent THRILLER with a story line like this - but its a Seagal flick and thats the way it is. The plot is kinda twisted but it has some good polish to it - it can be used for a good cop thriller with a top notch cast and director and you might get something pretty good. But then again, Seagal is pretty good, at the midway of his hollywood fame, before he went B grade.

Seagal and Wayans (theres a million wayans in the industry!) play two cops on the trail of a serial killer, but along they way, they get caught up in a smuggling operation with big power brokers and and hefty bad guys. So then comes the hefty Seagal and hefty violence - butt kicking at its best.

i never really got Seagal's fashion sense, and this movie is no exception. His clothes are very....... trendy, which kinda offest the whle movie - then throw in his buddhist beads for some spiritual enlightenment..... right...... but its cool. All that is made up for with his nifty credit card knife and plenty more to cover the little dodgy things in the flick. :-)

Seagal fans only.
sanjurosamurai
½ January 25, 2007
good flick
½ December 27, 2006
I hate you Steven
May 16, 2007
Ok action flick but mostly I thought alot of scence were very funny. Worth watching. Bit gory but at least there is a half decent story in it rather than the usual rubbish movie from him.
April 12, 2008
I guess it was kind of entertaining.
July 25, 2008
Not a bad flick, one of the last i watched Seagal in before his movies became "b" like
March 14, 2015
This movie is so dumb-- the dialogue is flat out bad, the jokes are laughable but not in the way they're meant to be, the crimes are so cliché it's unbelievable, Seagal's character is so Seagal it's hilarious, there are so many straight up bad shots, ITS NEVER RAINED THAT MUCH IN LA EVER-- but that's why this is the perfect Seagal movie. A+++ exactly what I wanted.
½ March 18, 2009
I can't believe the budget for this movie because it was just plain bad. This had so many plot holes it would look like Swiss cheese.
½ November 11, 2009
It is better than average for a Steven Seagal movie, it has plenty of action and it is helpful there is some humor thrown in, it makes it more watchable. But, there isn't anything original about the movie. Fans of Seagal will appreciate it more.
½ June 26, 2009
Not a bad action flick, though not exactly one of Steven Seagal's better ones, it sure as hell beats his modern entertainment. It had a pretty thin underlying plot but the overall sequencing and choreography makes it a pretty good watch for the casual movie-goer. This is the kind of movie I miss from our good friend Seagal.
½ September 18, 2008
Even though Steven Seagal is obviously in need of retirement. This is one of his good flicks. The comedy mixed with action is good entertainment. :)
½ April 25, 2008
OMG him teamed up with Keenen Ivory Wayans in this they both kicked ass here,beings that this was one of his earlier movies ,it is steven seagal doing what he does best
October 21, 2007
Ok action flick but mostly I thought alot of scence were very funny. I suppose it has to be having the head Wayans in it. Steve & Keenan another great combination. Worth watching
July 12, 2007
Funny and adventurous! These two characters work so well together it keeps the movie interesting until the end.
February 11, 2007
Keenan Ivory Wayans is a surprisingly good action/comedy hero/sidekick - he's funny, cool, and makes the action scenes look good. Unfortunately, Steven Seagal is the star. He plays off of Wayans well (well, more so the other way around, but nonetheless...), but is otherwise dull and doing exactly the same thing he's done his whole career, and without the charisma he showed in his early films. There are a couple of good action scenes, but they're mostly blah. And the plot is completely forgettable. There are a few funny moments in there, but it's mostly worthless.
January 20, 2007
Crap. And then after the crap was all done, there was more crap to back up the first crap. It should have been retitled Hard To Watch.