67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

83% Sons of Anarchy: Season 7

God Loves Uganda Reviews

Spencer S

October 14, 2013
It's commendable that this film tried to shed light on the horrifying influence of conservative Christian values on Uganda. I think a lot of what this film showcases needed to be seen and speaks a lot about the political affiliation that these religions push on countries that don't have the same rights and freedoms as those protected in other countries. The interviews were solid, and following the IHOP missionaries was intriguing, but the correlation between these people and Uganda needed to be made clearer. There is legislation in Uganda against homosexuality, but there was nothing about the violence enacted against these people, the discrimination, and the countless deaths. The funeral scene was a good start and showed human kindness exists in Uganda, but it didn't show the true impact of these people and their heinous causes. A very beautiful film overall, it still showed the Ugandan societal landscape, and what has changed its features in the past thirty years.
May 26, 2014
Or More Good PR for the Church...

This film is both infuriating and enlightening. I don't have much more to say about it.
Spencer S

October 14, 2013
January 15, 2014
"God Loves Uganda" is yet another in a recent series of documentaries that detail the heinous actions of the evangelical, conservative right-wing in America. This time around, we are shown how groups operating under the guise of "helping" impoverished African communities spread systemic homophobia, the subsequent persecution of LGBT peoples on a global scale and how a special emphasis on Uganda is allowing this ignorance to infect and damage the nation as a whole. We are shown how American conservatives held Ugandan aid hostage until the government converted to an abstinence-only sex education policy, and how this undid the progress against HIV that was made under the Clinton administration with comprehensive sex education practices. We are shown how extremists from the United States influenced the government to draft a bill making homosexuality punishable by death. The usual nonsense is on display (religious leaders referring to homosexuality as being "demonic", brainwashed individuals rolling around on floors, sobbing while in prayer, pastors living in massive homes while they take money from their congregation, indoctrinated children, teenagers getting married, men claiming that women are their gifts/possessions, etc.) but to see the result of religious imperialism in action is not only powerful, but enraging.
August 26, 2014
Very informative much better than expected
mark d.
July 29, 2014
premiered at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival.

God Loves Uganda has won the following awards:

Full Frame Inspiration Award at the Full Frame Documentary Film Festival
Grand Jury Prize for Best Documentary at the Dallas International Film Festival
Best Feature Length Documentary at the Ashland Independent Film Festival
Audience Award Documentary at the Mountain Film Festival
Best Overall Documentary at the DocuWest Film Festival
Sheffield Youth Jury Award at the Sheffield Doc/Fest
Grand Jury Pink Peach Feature at the Atlanta Film Festival
Jury Award for Documentary Feature at the Tampa International Gay and Lesbian Film Festival
June 19, 2014
This documentary explores how Christian missionaries from American super -conservative megachurches are fueling the hatred of homosexuals in Uganda.
June 4, 2014
Scariest movie of the year
May 27, 2014
"Convictions are greater threats to truth than lies." - Nietzsche
May 25, 2014
Solo hay una cosa que me da mas miedo que los payasos, los fanaticos religiosos que quieren obligar a los demas a pensar como ellos. Que Dios nos salve de sus seguidores!
May 22, 2014
It's a pretty bad sign when a film's title induces an eye-roll.
May 20, 2014
I find this video very insightful. It hurts my heart to see people who call themselves christians supporting a bill that Kills those associated with (lgbt). However, seeing as to how I am apart of the International House of Prayer (ihopkc) I can say with confidence that we have not been portrayed in the fullness of who we are and what we stand by. For one, Lou, is associated with not apart of IHOP and both Lou and all of IHOP agree that the LGBT agenda and those who struggle with this are in need of God's love no more and no less than any one else who struggles with sin. So no we do not support the LGBT agenda but not to the point of death. We love and receive all and desire for them to walk in the fullness of who they where meant to be. We desire first to love them and introduce them to a loving father and then allow the father heart of God to speak true identity over them not a "anti-LGBT" agenda. This video has misconstrued these good mens names and has pushed the film makers own agenda, In wanting recompense for the pain he has dealt with. I being one who has friends that have struggled with Homosexuality and have been accepted and loved by Lou and Ihopkc. They love God and know who they are. Although this video is real life we must not get caught up in the moment and realize that there are people on both sides who are unjust. Likewise, this is only one side of the coin let us take a step back and peer into the lives of those who are making and real day to day change. Those of the LGBT who have been loved into the kingdom of God and those pastors who humble themselves and chose to love and never Judge. I challenge us to share that story..because this is what will encourage us and give us more hope than trying to peer into the lives of those have no voice for themselves.
J Freak
May 19, 2014
100% of reviewers gave it the thumbs up. Not surprising, it is socially verboten to say anything negative about the gay lifestyle but Christianity is fair game. Cowards.
May 18, 2014
i am a christian and went to an evangelical college. i have never met a fellow christian, NEVER, who thinks such things. are there plenty who think unpopular things like "it's a choice" "it's wrong", etc? yeah. but, KILLING PEOPLE? read the gospel. evangelicalism is based on the teachings of christ. he was just a bit opposed to such things. i do know hateful, homophobic people. and they aren't christians. they aren't religious. they're just ignorant & bigoted. "rednecks" you'd probably say. those who have declared that ALL christians are guilty of whatever & that ALL faith is a lie, i ask, are you smarter then tolstoy? kierkegaard? thoreau? have you done more then MLK? desmond tutu? gandhi? the dalai lama? mandela? dorothy day? have you done ANYTHING to help ANYONE? or do you just troll? your hatred doesn't change what is true & unchanging.
May 17, 2014
Crazy how a handful of individuals can change the ethics of a nation, and it isn't the first time either that religion is used to take advantage of the vulnerable people of Africa..
April 27, 2014
"God Loves Uganda" it's an important documentary that shows from the inside, how sick "religious leaders" in America like Scott Lively and Lou Engle, use the Bible to spread their own agenda of hate and bigotry to miserable countries looking for a handout in exchange for hate laws against gay people. It's pitiful and sad to see brain washed young Americans selling these con men visions to the poor. But on the bright side, despite of millions they spent in US trying to prevent gay rights, they lost and now, all they can do, is to move to Africa and indoctrinate the people of the great nation of Uganda. Good riddance!
Arlene R.
April 17, 2014
It's interesting to me that those who filmed this movie operated under false pretenses to advance their own agenda . . . and that it further serves to spawn hate.
February 2, 2014
A true eye-opener. We talk so much about inequality here, but never take a look at places like Uganda, where the evangelical western influence is unfortunately stronger than ever.
Michael H.
January 18, 2014
Williams gets out of the way of his subjects and lets them speak for themselves. Evangelical Christians (mostly from the International House of Prayer) are given plenty of screen time to describe their mission. Possibly even more screen time than those describing the harm they see resulting from Christian colonialism. There are also some interesting contrasts in how American policies change the way aid is provided from administration to administration and how the recipients adjust to keep aid coming.

I found particularly intriguing the segments of earnest young evangelicals proselytizing to bemused Ugandans who don't seem to have any idea what these white kids are about and appear to just want them to be done and go away. When engaging street vendors, it's pretty obvious that the Ugandans are kept in the engagement economically because the kids are buying things from them and may buy more. We don't see what keeps the Ugandans engaged with the young missionaries when they are visited at their homes but I imagine that they are probably putting up with these kids because they also bring some sort of actual benefit in the form of goods or services.

The one disappointing flaw in the movie is the manner in which the International House of Prayer is introduced; beginning with a series of shots of run down or abandoned Kansas City storefronts bearing signs likely to elicit negative reactions in the movie's target audience and then moving directly from those disgust-inducing images, directly to IHOP, carrying over the elicited response to the new target. It's the same sort of disgust-induced morality ploy displayed later in the movie when a Ugandan politician uses images of gay men engaged in unusual and messy acts to elicit a visceral response against homosexuality from his audience. Williams isn't nearly as heavy handed, but it's the same technique.

Other than that, though, very well done.
October 26, 2013
Anti-Christian propaganda at its finest.