Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (Gojira tai Mekagojira) Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
½ March 17, 2013
Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla is one awesome entry in the series. The entertainment value of this entry is terrific and makes it a definite must see. I really loved the new direction of the Godzilla movies ever since the reboot and each entry have delivered amusing to the viewers. However this one is the best one since Godzilla 2000, and it most definitely is a fine example of what makes a Godzilla film stand out among other monster films. The direction is very good and the director comprehends the material and in turn directs a worthwhile entry that will certainly entertain any viewer looking for a good time. The film certainly has a lot to offer and the script and story are well done. The fight is highly entertaining and it definitely is one of the finer among the last entries in the series. If you loved every entry, then this will certainly delight you, and is worth watching you want to see Godzilla up against a classic foe. This is a well directed picture that is certainly well constructed and layered. The movie is exciting and thrilling and delivers what you want out of a monster film. The flaws are there, but the entertainment value makes up for it and it is among one of the best, most memorable films in the series. I thoroughly enjoyed the film and it is one of my favorite of the series as well. Go into this one expecting a memorable viewing experience.
June 24, 2011
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla is a triumphant knock-around classic. The film is such a success as it takes all that is great about Godzilla movies, links it to the first, and brings in a number of powerful human elements so there is something worth fighting for. It's great to see a series of movies continue to mature, even after 26 movies.

It starts in the pouring rain, and Godzilla attacks, killing a squadron of soldiers charged with protecting against monster attacks. The sole survivor is blamed, and demoted to data entry. Meanwhile, a scientist isasked to take the bones of the original Godzilla, and make a clone/robot. This takes Japan 3.5 years, and it was nice to see some government talk about costs, and how the rest of the world might react to such a powerful weapon. There was also a sweet moment when the scientists daughter wondered why clone a monster and not her deceased mother.

Once the robot is ready Godzilla shows up again, like an ass, and Shaku is reinstated to pilot the Mechagodzilla. However, she still has much to prove as her team don't completely trust her. The suits must be much lighter, as this Mechagodzilla is agile and quick. He has a vast array of weapons, which are all used well.

The film doesn't outstay its welcome and it constantly offers new visuals. It's an absolute wonder for fans, and also works as a stand alone piece.
October 25, 2012
I'm not really a fan of the 3rd reboot series of Godzilla. I feel they lack imagination and the ambition of the 2nd reboot, and just have too much cheese so they feel more like the WWE than a monster (kaiju) film.
April 20, 2008
This is one of the better Godzilla movies. Great set design, lots of action and fast moving. The speical effects are surpizingly good for a Godzilla movie even the CGI (which is rarely in this movie).
½ July 4, 2007
My favorite Godzilla film. Captures everything great about the millennium series with a great human story to accompany the thrilling monster arc.
January 21, 2008
This movie was bomb. Mecha Godzilla was always the coolest.
½ January 17, 2008
Kick ass Godzilla flick. Top notch story and effects.
½ February 6, 2015
Aside from having NO continuity with the last few films, Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla is another great Godzilla movie with good monster fights and a pretty interesting story.
September 15, 2014
Better music, acting, characters, and cinematography than you get in most movies like this. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
January 8, 2010
Another reboot to MechaGodzilla, this one packs some great action with the monster battles. Godzilla looks good, although his head does look small, and MechaGodzilla looks pretty cool, even though for some reason they refer to him as Kiryu, which I could had sworn was just the team operating MechaGodzilla. No matter, because it's a solid Godzilla movie with great fights. Plus, former Yankee Hideki Matsui is in it! Which makes it that much more awesome (since his nickname is Godzilla and all). The dubbing wasn't the best for a Godzilla movie, but it was better than most.
April 1, 2007
Better than I remember it being, honestly, but still pretty flawed. The serious, dark tone they set up at the very beginning of the film gets thrown out the window not long after, and they could've done more with Kiryu going berserk, and Godzilla himself? Sluggish, expressionless, just a dumb beast with no real personality. All the human drama feels forced, but given that this is a Godzilla movie, it's really the combat that matters, and the last 20 minutes are positively glorious. It's definitely worth a watch for giant monster fans.
½ May 5, 2008
This is one of the three best Godzilla movies ever! Godzilla is at his beat. The new Mech is awsome. The female lead is pretty & sexy. This movie has the best of everything!
½ January 7, 2008
Fantastic, moving and supremely cool modern Godzilla movie, my favorite of the "millennium" series. A lot of the credit should go to the lead actress, Yumiko Shaku (from "The Princess Blade"), who here creates a complex, facsinating character (a rarity in a Godzilla film.) But let's not undermine the great work of the director, Masaaki Tezuka, the writer, Wataru Mimura, and all the wonderul designers who worked on the film. The final shot (before the end credits) is simply incredible. You'll see what I mean. For any fans of giant monster movies (or robot-centric anime, for that matter.) Highly recommended.
½ November 23, 2007
Mechagodzilla ("Kiryu") looks extremely cool but the plot is way too similar to 2000's "Godzilla vs. Megaguirus."
½ November 18, 2007
Not bad at all, but it seems as though this movie production forgot about all the other Godzilla movies!
September 8, 2007
Kinda slow build up in this one... starts out with a bunch of recap action from the other flix these two titans went at it in... but then a slow build to the action. Though I must say that was my usual complaint with most of the Godzilla movies.... I'm a sucker for the silly monster action... lets get to it!!!
June 6, 2007
Make sure you rent the "against" version of this movie, not the "Vs" version. Not all Mechagodzillas were created equal.
October 11, 2006
I will say it's better than the other Godzilla sequels, except for Godzilla Final Wars. But overall it's still a Godzilla sequel.
October 9, 2006
My second favorite Godzilla movie (almost all are terrible), takes place fifty years after the original and is done as it were the first sequel. Much fun.