Gold Diggers of 1937 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gold Diggers of 1937 Reviews

½ September 25, 2012
Like the other Gold Digger movies, this one also has a lot of funny moments, and I like that aspect of it. It's just the songs, which take up a lot of time, that aren't as great as the original. The original will always be the best of this series. Overall this movie is worth watching if you like Berkeley musicals, but otherwise not.
April 28, 2011
God, I just can't believe I've seen all these. I liked this one okay, but it was the worst because the musical numbers seemed completely off topic from the rest of the dialogue. And the story was actually kind of funny, too - but when it was time for the Big Show circa all Busby Berkeley productions - I just didn't care.
½ December 24, 2014
As this series went along, it got weaker and weaker; only two things merit a mention: the song "With Plenty of Money and You" and the Busby Berkeley finale, "All's Fair In Love and War."
December 13, 2011
We can see by the end of the 30's the Gold Diggers had mined out all the nuggets and get left with a dry hole.. Even Joan Blondell and the evergreen Dick Powell can't save this lowball from fizzling. You'll be U.N.I.T.E.D. (U Need Insurance To Escape Death) in your opinion of needing to take out some after suffering through this yarn about enterprising young gentlemen and ladies financing a broadway show using Life insurance. There is the great Busby Berkeley spectacle of course but it's at the very end and isn't as clever as in the previous two films.
May 13, 2016
A clear improvement from the stale 1935 version but failed to bring anything fresh to the table. You can see how the studios began to peddle these musicals despite their minimal plot.

This time round the focus is back on the Gold Diggers & The Broadway Scene itself. Dick Powell plays a Life Insurance salesman who lands the deal of a lifetime with a theatre mogul.

Like all of these Hollywood Studio Products the push is always the final number. Features so extraordinary choreography & music, a great musical of its time.
½ December 24, 2014
April 1, 2013
Amiable but generic for an hour and a half, then absolutely magical for the final ten minutes. Of note: Dick Powell sports one of the most misguided mustaches in all of cinema in this movie.
January 5, 2013
Cool musical but not as good as the original.
½ September 25, 2012
December 13, 2011
April 28, 2011
May 17, 2010
Jumping sea lions, promiscuity pays (on a train)! New interests, new friends: life insurance, Norma's translucent blouse and floral apron dress, drinking whilst shaving, jujitsu lessons in the 1930s, the Embassy Club, clowning showpeople, 'Life Begins at 59' brochure, medicinal bath, double cross by a fan dancer, low clearance ambulance, oversized rocking chairs, no man's land drawn closer to no woman's land, and an army of drummers and flag girls. Deviates a little from Busby Berkeley's trademark in that there is also a focus on the bodies of men, most apparent at the swimming pool and during the Ping-Pong match, with the guys wearing tight shorts and the one whose legs are splayed across the table. Speaking of the weather~!
½ February 16, 2010
1.5: I find it a bit hard to believe that Busby Berkeley had anything to do with this. It is probably one of the worst 1930's-era Hollywood musicals I've ever seen, if not the absolute worst. I ended up waiting for almost the entire film for something that never arrived. I figured the only possible way this could be worth seeing would be the Berkeley set piece in the third act, but I was mistaken. The only portion of the film that was moderately entertaining was the portion with the chorus girls twirling the flags. This was a poor excuse for a Berkeley set piece though, as his best work is beautiful and revelatory, while I barely noticed this routine even at its height. I can't imagine anyone being a fan of Dick Powell and Joan Blondell isn't exactly my favorite either. The story is pretty bare bones and would only have worked with better leads, better music, and much better dance sequences.