The Golden Child - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Golden Child Reviews

thmtsang
July 21, 2007
Eddie is a private eye who has to find a kidnapped child.
½ August 4, 2006
[Re-watch]

Movies may have moved on in terms of effects, but this is still an easy watching good prevails evil family film with comical input by Eddie Murphy.
August 12, 2011
Brilliant!
sanjurosamurai
January 23, 2007
early eddie was one of the best comedic actors in history. maybe a notch below some of his other eighties flicks, mostly because the film doesnt hold up as well, but this movie is still funny and a lot of fun to watch.
October 23, 2008
I thought this movie was really good.
½ February 25, 2008
Entertaining, thrilling, good humoured, very funny and very 86 effects. Cool actors !
½ August 31, 2007
Many will tell you this one isn't good. But it is..there are lame special effect and some silly villians..but Eddie is so funny in this. It's a must see!
½ July 10, 2007
An enjoyable fantasy/action film with a good dose of humour.
June 27, 2007
The Golden Child is an awesome fantasy action movie. Great opening scene of the child being kidnapped with some rockin' 80's music. Eddie Murphy's character I was totally with throughout. He let his trademark humour come through in a funny non-vulgar manner. I loved his gripings through each part of his mission. The villains are weird and wild eastern mythological characters. I loved the scene when the child amused the beast-man with a dancing cola-can. The fights and creatures were wonderful. I could get into this more than "Big Trouble in Little China", a similar film.
½ March 20, 2007
I liked this movie in a so bad-it's good sort of way.
½ February 16, 2007
Great Eddie movie. Funny and has a lot of action. A must see.
garyX
December 28, 2006
I'd like to write an inciteful review of this, but all I can really say is...dreadful crap. Charles Dance embarrasses himself, and it has all the elements of Murphy most hateful and charmless work. Typical of the kind of 80s "action" "comedy" that has a liberal dose of neither.
deano
½ October 29, 2006
Eddie Murphy was quite good comic actor as The Chosen One in this 24-karat comedy adventure.
½ May 18, 2013
Eddie Murphy is off on a wild and magical adventure in The Golden Child. The story follows an investigator who's recruited to find the Golden Child, a little boy with magical abilities who's been kidnapped by an agent of evil that plans to kill him. The plot's rather weak and is poorly told. And, the special effects are awful (even for the '80s). Additionally, Murphy doesn't seem right for the role; as he puts too much comedy into his performance. Still, The Golden Child is a fun adventure at times and delivers some laughs.
xxdebxx
December 17, 2010
Eddie Murphy is a finder of lost and missing children who is approached by a mysterious Tibetan woman (Charlotte Lewis) and told that he is "The Chosen One" and that it is his destiny to find and rescue a Tibetan boy with mystical powers from a race of demons, lead by Charles Dance as the evil Sardo Numspa who wants to rule the world. The classic irony of Murphy does not fail, and the special effects are relatively good for a film of that 80's period.
November 3, 2007
Cheesy as hell, but you can't help smiling.
mingsysar
½ August 14, 2006
Eddie Murphy sabotaging his own career.
KeepGuessing
May 4, 2008
Another hilarious movie with Eddie Murphy in it. Sure, the idea for it sucked and the script was just down right cheesy. But, still, the movie passes as a very entertaining one.
jim222001us
½ August 6, 2007
It's a silly fantasy/comedy mess but Eddie Murphy is in good form at least. Unlike in Norbit where even he could save it. Hell he was one of the things wrong with it.
March 13, 2008
ok murphy pic but i have seen better