The Good Fairy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Good Fairy Reviews

rubystevens
½ December 19, 2010
ridiculously charming early wyler screwball with a cracking script by preston sturges. margaret sullavan never looked more adorable than here. playing an innocent orphan trying to avoid the advances of millionaire frank morgan by lying about her marital state, she picks herbert marshall's name from a phone book and insists he's her husband, leading to much confusion and farce
½ March 14, 2010
79/100. Excellent early William Wyler comedy, his expert direction helps the film greatly. Great cast, Margaret Sullivan is wonderful. fine writing by Preston Sturges, Jane Hinton and Farenc Molnar. The script is very intelligently done. It's very entertaining. Frank Morgan does well in a supporting role.
March 28, 2009
I thought this was a cute movie & I did laugh outloud quite a few times. I think it was the dialogue that got me.
½ December 17, 2008
This film is a delight. Preston Sturges illustrates once again why his dialogue packs punches like no one else's. Layering on itself, and excellently delivered (particularly by Frank Morgan, a verbal deadringer for Eddie Bracken's Norval Jones in 'Morgan Creek'), the exchanges display a wit not often observed in modern Hollywood films. With a story that meets the definition of 'a comedy of errors' to a T, this film is sure to please any fans of screwball comedy.
½ February 13, 2005
Some of the scenes felt rather awkward but overall, the movie works. The actor who plays the Wizard of Oz is in this one and oddly there are apparent references to that movie in this earlier one! Must be coincidental but it's kind of creepy.
rubystevens
½ December 19, 2010
½ April 20, 2011
The wonderful Margaret Sullavan is always worth watching, and this film is exceptional.
August 10, 2009
An underrated screwball comedy by William Wyler and Preston Sturges. If you liked Hail the Conquering Hero, or It Happened One Night, this is another in the same vein.
½ March 31, 2009
Caught this one on TCM the other night. Initially was curious to see yet another Frank Morgan/Margaret Sullavan movie set in Budapest like 'Shop Around the Corner' - and since it was on so late, didn't expect to watch the whole thing, but was sucked in by Margaret Sullavan's very charming, cute and endearing performance, and a very witty screenplay. A nice little forgotten treasure from the film vaults.
½ March 30, 2009
Just saw this for the first time on TCM the other night and immediately needed more. I was so taken with Margaret Sullavan along with the rest of the cast. Margaret has such an innocent "new to the world" look with her character that is so endearing, I love how she uses her eyes to convey so much.

I look forward to seeing Sullavan's other works. It is such a shame that her life was so tragic.
½ March 30, 2009
The characters are sweet and endearing, but they are in a really stupid and annoying plot that could be explained away to the characters in one sentence.
March 29, 2009
This is an absolutely charming, often laugh-out-loud film. Margaret Sullavan is so endearing and funny. Some great classic pratfalls throughout, and very clever, playful dialogue.
March 28, 2009
"GO!" "But Meredith, surely you don't mean that!" "GO!!"
"He's crazy as a chipmunk!"
They just don't make movies like this any more.
September 18, 2008
I love Herbert Marshall in this. He's so dull, it's just amusing. Sullavan is a luminous orphan, and the other character actors are amusing- especially bumbling Morgan.
½ December 17, 2008
May 12, 2008
Fantastic character actors - very sweet 1935 film.