43% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

86% The Knick: Season 1

Good Neighbors Reviews

Cynthia S

July 8, 2011
Quirky. Different. Definitely not the same ole script here, that's what I really liked about it. Something different for a change!! Very refreshing--dark, dark with a hint of comedy. This is a thriller, but not in any usual way. Nasty good fun. I will definitely check out more from this director, Jacob Tierney (actor turned director). He directed The Trotsky (also starring Jay Baruchel), and I really enjoyed that one, as well. I do believe this man has some talent...
blkbomb
blkbomb

March 10, 2012
Spencer: Why do you think you're so interested in this stuff?

"You never know who's living right next door."

Good Neighbors is not the best of suspense thrillers. For one, it lacks suspense for 90 percent of the runtime. The other thing is that it can't decide whether to be too subtle or too gruesome. So it goes for a subtle blandness for the first part of the movie and then begins to throw some pretty morbid stuff at the viewer as it goes. I wasn't expecting some of the graphic violence this film showed halfway through. Violence isn't something that phases me as a moviegoer; it's just that this had a feel of a subtle film, not an in your face one.

The story takes place in Canada in the midst of many killings at the hand of some serial killer. Victor moves into an apartment where he meets Louise and Spencer. Louise has a weird dependence on her cats and Spencer is wheelchair bound. The three have dinner and become friends to a certain extent. Then a bunch of crap happens that we aren't suppose to expect, but we kind of do anyway.

It's not badly made. It looks pretty good and the cast isn't too bad. Nothing about the movie screams terrible, but nothing about it stands out to the point where I'd want to ever watch it again, or would even recommend to anyone to watch once. It's a decent enough effort though.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

May 23, 2011
Cast: Jay Baruchel, Scott Speedman, Emily Hampshire, Anne-Marie Cadieux, Diane D'Aquila, Xavier Dolan, Clara Furey, Kaniehtiio Horn, Gary Farmer, Jacob Tierney, Pat Kiely

Director: Jacob Tierney

Summary: In an apartment complex nestled in Montreal's Notre-Dame-de-Grāce neighborhood, everyone is nervous with a serial killer on the loose. Meanwhile, waitress Louise (Emily Hampshire) and widower Spencer (Scott Speedman) bond with new resident Victor (Jay Baruchel), which could prove dangerous. Staying alive may well mean figuring out who to trust. Jacob Tierney (The Trotsky) writes and directs this mystery thriller.

My Thoughts: "The movie is a quirky thriller. The characters are very odd and strange all in their own respective ways. There is no surprise in the film, it kind of gives itself away. Louise's obsession with the cats is crossing the line of creepy in this odd thriller. Although I enjoyed the weirdness of the film, I do wish it played out differently. I know the ending is suppose to leave you wondering and thinking, but I would have liked to see more."
Todd S

July 6, 2011
On several movie site I visit, there had been a buzz about an independent Canadian murder mystery film, that was supposed to be quite a thriller with big twist at the end. It sounded like the perfect movie for me and I couldn't wait to see it! Good Neighbors is about an apartment building in Canada that is getting a new tenant named Victor (Jay Baruchel). Victor immediately sees that something isn't right about the new place and soon learns that everyone is on edge because of a serial killer on the loose. A serial killer that I was able to identify ten minutes into the movie. How in the world can anyone, much less a movie fan, call this a thriller with a twist in the end? The killer was obvious from the very beginning and I'm willing to bet the average fourth grader would agree. As for the notion that this is a thriller? Come on, a thriller is supposed to have you on the edge of your seat, not falling asleep in it! The story was slow, sloppy, and predictable, but what about the acting. I generally like Jay Baruchel, but he is a mess in this film. Baruchel is way out of his element here and would probably do best sticking to Apatow comedies. The only bright spot in the film is Emily Hampshire, she's been around a while, but has never been in anything big. Hampshire was terrific and is really the only interesting character in this film. Good Neighbors is a huge disappointment and anyone who tells you otherwise can't be as big a movie fan as they proclaim to be. I can deal with slow moving, I can live with some boring parts here and there, but a painfully predictable story with very below average performances is a recipe for disaster.
Christopher H

November 23, 2011
Good Neighbors convinces the viewer that they have the plot figured out, then finds a unique way to completely turn that plot on itself. If Hitchcock would have ever made a film completely stacked full of McGuffins, this would have been it. Scott Speedman and Emily Hampshire have a comfortable presence on-screen and take this film from potentially campy to intriguing and bitter.
September 5, 2013
A tense, well-acted, dramatic thriller, Good Neighbors follows three people in an apartment while a killer is on the lose in the neighborhood. As suspicions begin to mount, Good Neighbors never quite goes in the directions you expect and keeps you always guessing.
GabrielKnight
July 4, 2013
A darkly funny and quirky thriller. Perhaps a tries to be a bit too clever, but entertaining nonetheless.
Hamee
November 12, 2011
Twisted, evil, great - These are the best words to describe this movie. It won't be a movie that everyone will enjoy, but I think the casting was spot on and the story was deliciously quirky.
January 11, 2012
When I watch a movie about a serial killer, I want to be entertained. Maybe occasionally shocked and appalled. What I do not want, is to feel like I'm sitting in some pretentious art house watching someone's desperate attempt to make a statement. That's what this movie feels like. It doesn't do the genre justice, and even though I really like Jay Baruchel, I wish I hadn't sat through all of this.
March 6, 2014
A wicked little black comedy.
January 16, 2014
Without a doubt the most perfectly disturbing movie I've viewed in a long time. A screen play mixed with serial killings, lust, love, lies, sex, and manipulation. Acting is slightly above mediocre but the suspense will capture your attention til the end. Everyone is the bad guy but someone will prevail as the worst.
December 26, 2013
a disturbing thriller that keeps you hooked, mostly because of the characters, until the it's ending.
GeorgiaMoxie
December 6, 2013
I enjoyed this because of the clever playfulness despite the nature of its content- this movie is about the cat playing with its mice. It has its twists but the real twist is not what you expect. You see one coming from the very beginning of the movie and they are not subtle with the clues at ALL, which leaves movie watchers like me annoyed because I've watched movies where they expect it to be a subtle twist but it isn't. You are SUPPOSED to guess that one and when it's revealed to one neighbor that it wasn't a secret at all it's hilarious because he realizes that HE was the one toyed with and has no clue how to react. This movie doesn't play out till the very end and it is very coy once you realize that the cat plays it so that it wins either way and the cat doesn't always play nice.
Little Dedo
October 19, 2013
None of the characters are likable, and the movie leaves you with some unanswered questions....
June 30, 2013
GOOD NEIGHBORS is an off-beat mood piece perfect for a rainy or snowy night. Consistently keeps you off guard with 3 complex central characters. You know who they are but then you don't. One totally gruesome murder that is so morbidly unexpected, you won't get over it soon. A terrific film with nifty performances including 3 amazing cats.
January 8, 2012
Even though it was uneven, I enjoyed it. Reminded me of a Hitchcock movie, kinda.
June 7, 2013
Good as far as it went, but I figured it out to easily. I would have added another little twist at the end, which could have fit quite nicely.
January 13, 2013
no words for this one. none. Oh, someone dies at the end...
October 10, 2012
Lots of original and suspenseful setups. Each time a let down. Could have been much better. Weirdly French Canadian to the point of seeming European.