18% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

The Good Night Reviews

Apeneck F

January 14, 2013
Lackluster tale of a man torn between the iddylic dream life or the difficult, if more substantial, life in the real. Altho a nice middling story with okey-dokey dialogue, there's nada here to herald significant interest.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

October 10, 2008
Terrible movie i was open to this movie! it sounded like a nice sweet fantasy movie that might actually be good but this was probably the worse movie ive ever seen.
it has so few laughs that if you miss them you'd think there isnt any! the storyline is boring slow and boring with nit very much going on and in the end leaves you confused i wouldnt recommend this movie to anyone!!
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

August 24, 2008
Original and intriguing story, about a former popstar, who as a result of hitting a mid-life crisis, develops an obsessive interest in lucid dreaming. An interest which becomes the trigger for a remarkable, surreal and ultimately life-changing journey.

Besides a good and well-written storyline, this movie sure managed to squeeze in a lot familiar faces, american and british actors alike. None of them really stood out from the rest, but they all played their roles well, even if the chemistry between some of the actors could have been a bit better.

For all its strengths, however, it's not really the sort of film that will have you jump with excitement, nor stay in your memory for very long. It's hard to point out exactly why that is, but it felt like it was missing one or two key ingredients for me to wanna give it a higher rating than I have.

In any case, if you're looking for something out of the ordinary or Charlie Kaufman-ish, then you should give this one a go. Because despite falling short of greatness, it still remains a better-than-average dramedy.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

October 13, 2007
I have been watching a lot of good independent films right now and this one is probably one of the best indie films I've seen in a while. Well, next to Crash.

The good thing about the film is that I can relate to it. Sometimes, I dream about girls whom I do not know of and the next day, I find out that those girls are actually in the covers of some magazines. Which makes me feel like I'm a bit of a loser but that's not the thing here.

The film have a great cast and this is Mr. Freeman's breakout role I suppose. I'm gonna see more of him in the future, that I'm sure of. Danny Devito, Gwyneth Paltrow and Penelope Cruz also did good jobs in portraying their roles. They executed it with professionalism and with flair. The ending was kinda sad but it was very effective. I suggest other film buffs to watch it because this is how movies should be made.
puffchunk
puffchunk

July 10, 2008
Nothing profound here, but I do like the idea that even with the ability to control dreams, someone would chose to be with their actual partner and not a fantasy.
Stefanie C

May 28, 2008
interesting film on dreams, aspirations, and reality.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

December 15, 2007
This movie was really good. I liked this movie alot cause it's different and it's original in a way noone has done it. Gary, a once successful musician, struggles with his career and an inert relationship with his girlfriend Dora. As his work as a commercial jingle writer spirals into ever more degrading depths, his best friend and former band mate Paul seems to find success at every turn. Gary is depressed and dejected until he meets Anna. She is everything Gary wants sexually, artistically and intellectually she is the girl of his dreams, literally. But Gary can only be with Anna in sleep which consequently sends him on a quest for more frequent slumber. With the help of a new age guru named Mel, Gary shuns reality for the comfort of his dreams even as the troubles of his waking life increase.
SC007
SC007

July 30, 2011
Martin Freeman's performance is the best reason to check out this film. The film kind of reminded me of the Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I think they had a good idea for a film, but they didn't execute it correctly. The pacing is off. Simon Pegg and Danny DeVito are hilarious in the film. Penelope Cruz and Gwyneth Paltrow provide solid support. For some reason Penelope Cruz's character here, reminded me a little bit of her character in Vanilla Sky.
Yinalí R

April 24, 2008
A very confusing film. Just didn't get it.
Deb S

January 27, 2011
"It's a full-on emotional exploration. Its not dangerous, but sometimes it's emotionally alarming...". -Mel

Great cast but otherwise this film misses where it should have hit. It is a strange story of love, fidelity, and escapism. Gary (Martin Freeman) is depressed and delves into lucid dreams. He obsesses about these lucid dreams...sleeping and sleeping...and carrying on a "dream" romance with the "perfect" woman.

Not worth recommending.
Sunil J

September 12, 2007
Really imaginitive and captivating.
FanGirl
FanGirl

July 11, 2008
The description on the back of the box was a lot more interesting and quirky than the film itself.
iLeo
iLeo

December 8, 2007
An intriguing movie! Interesting story plot about a man and his continous relay of dreams and how it affects his overall reality. Complex diagram of emotional interaction. Choices affect outcomes, and decisions are made in hasty response. Brilliantly clever!
Danny DeVito, Martin Freeman, Simon Pegg, Penelope Cruz, and Gwyneth Paltrow are absolutely great.

Fantastic music!!
January 26, 2008
A very different dream-state movie about a somewhat awkward Freeman trying to make sense of his dreams and monsters, and coming to realize that the key lies in the tangible, even if somewhat dull. DeVito pulls of a funny side-character.
jjb3332003
March 31, 2009
This movie grew on me. I thought Jake Paltrow did a good job directing. Martin Freeman basically reprises his role from The Office - which isn't a bad thing. The scene in the bookstore when Simon Pegg's character says "Why are we in a fucking hobbit hole?" is a bit of a prescient moment.
October 23, 2009
I really enjoyed this movie. It was like a live action version of Waking Life. I you like lucid dreaming or just the idea of it you will enjoy these movies.
jamilyn0276
July 12, 2009
What if we could control our dreams, and turn them into our fantasy escape world? How would that effect our reality?
This film, written and directed by Gwyneth's brother Jake Paltrow, let's it's main character, Gary explore just that. But sooner or later, Gary starts to lose hold of what's real and what's a dream. Then he has to choose what is really important to him, his reality or his dream.
I enjoyed this film. The story was unique which is always welcome. The cast of this movie was very admirable. Gwyneth Paltrow ( although I am not too thrilled with her as a brunette ), Danny Devito, Penelope Cruz, and Martin Freeman all gave favorable performances. The best part of this film for me was Simon Pegg. He is comic genius in my opinion. Even in a film that wasn't intended to be a comedy, he makes you laugh. "I'm going to go now, before I fuck your girlfriend" can only be delivered with a straight face by a few. He made the movie more enjoyable, definitely.
My only complaint about The Good Night, besides Ms. Paltrow's hair, is that parts of it seemed to drag. There wasn't a constant good flow. That being said, I would have to give this film a positive review. It was entertaining, it makes you think, and it's got an original story.
ariel505555
May 18, 2009
It was not a very good movie! The story line was a bit confusing as well! I lost interest right at the middle of the movie.
Rylor
September 5, 2008
It was good, but I think it requires a second watch. I won't know if I like it until I am sure of how it ended.