Movies Like Gosford Park

Gosford Park Reviews

blkbomb
blkbomb

August 3, 2012
Mrs. Wilson: I'm the perfect servant; I have no life.

"Tea At Four. Dinner At Eight. Murder At Midnight."

Well Gosford Park wasn't as amazing as I hoped it would be. It's packaged as a murder mystery, but really all it is, is servants gossiping about the higher class and the higher class gossiping about their fellow higher class. The whole murder thing only takes about an hour of the movie, and even then it doesn't really drive the film.

The first hour and fifteen minutes of the film is devoted to getting to know the huge cast of characters. There's so many characters to keep track of. You got all these servants and maids, and then there's all the higher class. No wonder so much time had to be devoted to character development, there's just so many of them. We get to see the life of both the upper class and servants during a weekend stay at a rich mans house. Then the man whose house everyone is at is killed and a detective is brought in, who ends up questioning a lot of people. The movie didn't play out like your standard dinner party murder mystery, where someone is killed and everyone stands around in a big group and tries to figure out who did it. It's grounded, for better or worse, in reality.

What makes this movie a worthwhile film is a huge and talented cast. Maggie Smith, Clive Owen,  Helen Mirren, Ryan Phillipe; and the cast goes on and on and on and on. My favorite performance came from one of the smaller names, Kelly McDonald who plays a maid and is the one who actually pieces the whole thing together and figures out what happened. The performances go a long way in keeping this slow meandering plot going.

I can't say whether I liked this or not. I liked the idea of it and the acting was outrageously good. In the end though, I was left sort of underwhelmed. Hardcore Altman fans are probably in love with this film, but for me, it's just another movie, albeit with one of the best ensemble casts ever configured. Whether or not you'll like it will depend on your ability to watch really talky movies and still find it intriguing. I normally can, but by the hour mark I was kind of ofer the whole gossip thing.
jamers2011
jamers2011

March 8, 2011
Excellent movie! One of the best period pieces I've seen in a while.

One of the best and most noticeable features of this film is great cast. There are so many big names in this film, British names to be specific...in fact basically every English actor is in this. With this in mind, I had high expectations. The cast delivered. This film is wonderfully acted, with excellent performances from everyone, especially Maggie Smith, Helen Mirren, Kristen Scott Thomas, and Emily Watson.

Another thing that really stuck out to me was how solid of a period piece this is. The film studies the British class system of the 1930's, and I really felt like I was therein the era. The sets were all stunning and elaborate, as were the wonderful costumes and props. Everything about the appearance of the film was top-notch. An extremely well made film.

Also the script was great...very powerful and effective. It deserved its Oscar for Best Original Screenplay. The story that went along with that was also great. The film is slow, but it does eventually lead of to a murder. This is the main focus of the film, but at the same time it emphasizes the entangled relationships of everyone in the house. I think that's the reason this film suceeds.

Overall, I think this is a great film. Nominated for 7 Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Director, this is a must-see film!
cosmo313
cosmo313

October 12, 2011
It's the early 1930s and a group of wealthy Britons and an American, along with their servants, all gather at an English country house for a shooting party. All goes along decently well enough until the host, Sir William McCordle is found murdered. From there the film explores the murder investigation from the perspectives of both the servants and the guests.

This is some really fun stuff. It's an ensemble darkly comedic whodunit murder mystery period piece, but it's also so much more than that. Yes, a murder is the film's centerpiece, but it's also a finely observed examination of the British class system and the upper class's dependency on servants. The film also touches upon the state of the British Empire during the interwar period, sexual mores of the time, and gay issues, primarily that of the questionable reltionship between the American film producer and his valet. I think that Agatha Christie style whodunits are just fine, but I really appreciated that this film was more than that and tried be entertaining but also provided some insight into the decline of the aristocratic way of life.

Robert Altman was a great choice for this, and the results are not disappointing, as this is a wonderful film and a great entry in his oeuvre. It's got all his trademarks, most notably the ensemble cast made up primarily (though not exclusivly) of a who's who's of actors and actressess from the U.K.

It took me a bit to get used to trying to keep the interconnectedness of all the players straight, but once I got the hang out it, I found myself thoroughly entertained. I did have to put the subtitles on, but that's no big thing. The script is quite sharp and filled with all sorts of fun twists, turns, and set ups for who did it and why. This is a rather lengthy film, but I really didn't seem to notice it all that much. Everything just cruises right along and all of the exposition is just juicy and fascinating stuff.

The cinematography, art direction, and set design are top notch, and the large cast put in some tremendous work. I especially enjoyed Maggie Smith, Kelly Macdonald, and Ryan Phillippe. Oh yeah, and Michael Gambon. He's great too.

You should really check this out. It's a fantastically done film that's super entertaining and oh so British. Hats way off.
stevenecarrier
stevenecarrier

May 16, 2011
Robert Altman's "Gosford Park" is an unusual combination of social commentary and observation of the British social class in the 1930s, a surprisingly emotional murder mystery and a dash of metanarrative that results in a highly rewarding final product. "Gosford Park" boasts a fantastic ensemble, confident direction and lavish set design and cinematography. Clearly, the most assured film Altman made from 1994 up until his death in 2006. A must see for fans of British filmed entertainment and of the late, great director.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

December 24, 2007
This is one of those rare genre hybrid films that excels on every level. It's also one of Robert Altman's very best films and that's saying a lot. I can't imagine how this piece of work was assembled and put together so brilliantly, but I don't really care to. The work speaks for itself.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

July 30, 2009
Cast: Maggie Smith, Clive Owen, Kristin Scott Thomas, Michael Gambon, Helen Mirren, Camilla Rutherford, Ryan Phillippe, Charles Dance, Geraldine Somerville, Emily Watson, Tom Hollander, Jeremy Northam, Bob Balaban, Alan Bates, Derek Jacobi, Trent Ford

Director: Robert Altman

Summary: Sir William (Michael Gambon) is found dead soon after his guests arrive for a weekend stay at his English estate. Lady Sylvia (Kristin Scott Thomas), Constance (Maggie Smith) and Ivor (Jeremy Northam) try to make sense of the crime. Meanwhile, gossip flies among the household help.

My Thoughts: "First off, this film has an amazing group of actors. Probably one of the best casted films I have seen. The film is beautifully acted and directed. The characters keep you intrigued throughout. All of them are there for their own greedy reasons. There is so much happening in this film from all the gossiping, to the individual stories, that it might need a second watch to catch it all. Mrs. Wilson and Mrs. Croft both have very sad stories which kind of pulls at your heart strings.
The story is a 'who done it', kind of film. The problem is the suspense of it was lost on me cause the killer(s) was quite obvious for me. Even the reason behind it. But even though it was predictable for me, it still kept my interest. Definitely a film to see."
Daniel P

December 9, 2007
A contemporary Shakespeare by way of Agatha Christie and just a little Alfred Hitchcock, Gosford Park has a little bit of everything: humour, satire, treachery and romance all feature in this update to the traditional comedy of manners.

By focussing on the servants so much, Altman flips the story on its head. As in the Charlie Chan films Bob Balaban's character works on, the presumption must be that "the butler did it." So what does Altman do? He gives us 20 maids and valets, and lets the intrigue fly not among the upper class but within the lower. Absolutely brilliant.

Add to it the pitch-perfect performances of Helen Mirren, Clive Owen, Maggie Smith and - AGAIN - Kelly MacDonald, and you've got one for the ages. This film is a true delight, beautiful in every way, with great shots, lighting, sets and an ensemble cast that is among the best every assembled.
flixsterman
flixsterman

January 6, 2009
Something sinister is afoot at the McCordle estate. Gosford Park is equal parts period piece, murder mystery and social class study. Standout performances from Maggie Smith, Kristin Scott and (of course) Helen Mirren.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

November 26, 2009
This film is EXTREMELY British. The pacing, the humor, the story. I enjoyed it because I used to read a lot of Agatha Christie novels too. Very intricate and extremely well put together.
Anthony L

September 23, 2009
I found this film quite dull. It?s an odd mix of Renoir?s La rčgle du jeu and a P.G. Wodehouse book but without being anywhere near as entertaining as either. The cast is amazing but ultimately wasted. Not one of the late, great Altman?s best.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

April 29, 2009
"Tea At Four. Dinner At Eight. Murder At Midnight."

Multiple storylined drama set in 1932, showing the lives of upstairs guest and downstairs servants at a party in a country house in England.

REVIEW
This is a remarkable film. Those who have described it as thin and boring have simply missed the point; probably because their senses have been dulled by SFX and obvious plots. Robert Altman has used his extraordinary insight to show the multi-layered dependency of the Edwardian English upper classes and their servants in the twilight of their existence. Not only is it a remarkable script, but it is brought to light by an array of the finest acting talents Britain can muster. Of course it takes an hour to bring in all the characters because that is what the film is about. The plots and sub plots are almost incidental to the interweaving of the relationships and the complex development of character, often in a single sentence or even word.

A wonderfully accurate presentation of upper class England at the beginning of the 20th century. Fantastically good costume, sets, etc. Good performances by the entire ensemble. An interesting murder "mystery" as there is really no mystery as to who committed the murder--take your choice: there are multiple suspects with equally valid motives, opportunity, and action. It's only a question of who "killed" him first. The crime isn't solved, but refreshingly "gotten away with" since the victim was so heinous.
Fernando Rafael Q

August 8, 2007
Stylish depiction of a 1930's rich people party, GOSFORD PARK is, above all, a visual achievement. The beautiful cinematography by Andrew Dunn and perfect camera work by Robert Altman are the soul of the film. The film achieves excellence in every technical aspect, from lighting, to art direction, to costumes, to the great music. The ensemble cast is simply marvelous, with Maggie Smith, Kristin Scott Thomas, Helen Mirren, Ryan Philippe, Emily Watson, Richard E. Grant, Clive Owen and Kelly Macdonald standing out in that long list of actors. The film is quite long, but manages to keep you interested until the end. Great mystery film.
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 1, 2007
excellent mystery with a once in a lifetime cast!
puffchunk
puffchunk

October 13, 2007
So effing boring. Didn't make it through this one.
Jason S

October 5, 2007
Boring. Kept falling asleep during this huge snooze fest.
Jennifer X

May 27, 2007
Maggie Smith is reason enough to love this film. And the score by Patrick Doyle is beyond beautiful. I loved the score so much I actually bought it from Amazon, something I never do.
thmtsang
thmtsang

August 3, 2007
Great cast. This movie is set in the 1930s with the upstairs and downstairs divisions in a stately home. There is a murder but who done it?
shauna1354
shauna1354

July 3, 2007
I wanted to see this because it's an English movie and I'm English. I very much liked the time period it was set in. This film reminded me ever some much of an Agatha Christie novel adaptation or something similiar. I think you get distracted by the all-star cast, Helen Mirren, Clive Owen, Ryan Phillippe, Maggie Smith, Kristin Scott Thomas, that you kind of forget about the storyline. But for me it was an enjoyable watch.
Dean !

June 12, 2007
A pretty good period drama with a touch of Whodunit? about it similar to an Agatha Christie film. Great largely all English cast, location, costumes. A lot of effort went into the production of the movie, noticeable in the attention to every detail. Has a slight twist as you would expect but may be a bit too slow for some.