93% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Grass Is Greener Reviews

AJ V

September 5, 2010
This movie is pretty good, it's funny and stars three really good actors. The story is a bit predictable, and it's sort of boring in some scenes, but I kind of liked it anyway. I liked the ending.
Apeneck F

March 26, 2009
an old school english drawing room comedy of manners wherein modern millionaire yank bobby mitchum handily poaches titled yet impoverished englishman cary grant's filly, seven year itchy deborah kerr. is it gunfight at the ok corral then? or perhaps a duel at dawn? oh no. director stanley donen paces us thru the worst of personal relationship wars with rapier wit and comedic banter that dares one to keep up with all the verbal grenades tossed about. throw in atomic jean simmons as a tipsy though possibly explosive tour guide and you've got a different kind of filmic entertainment, entertainment that thinks as fast as you. maybe faster.
dietmountaindew
dietmountaindew

November 9, 2007
"the grass is greener" is one excellent work from classic comedy director stanley donen who could elaborate those bedroom drama which mainly be epathetic with estrogen to a divine sophistification, even a mundane subject of un-marital affair could be polished with civilized suaveness.

the main story set is cary grant and deborah kerr are happily married in their old historical british mansion, living by exhibiting fair of their ancient house, until one day american prodigal charm boy robert mitchum steps into their private living room to captivate kerr's matronly affection by exclaiming "your eyes are beautiful as poetry"...then the composed grant sinks into a predicament of his happiness with his competent love rival who is recklessly unpreditable and boyishly charming...

usually the corny scenario of cuckolded man would run amok to bombard the wife with the accusation of infidelity and rageous condemnation, but not our resourceful grant with fine spirit of sportsmanship who schemes to connive his wife galloping to her provocatively exciting lover, escpecially the third party is insolently luring as robert mitchum. since he comprehends his objection would even enhance mitchum's rascal attraction to kerr, so he intends to stand his position without movement...then everything is drastically modified after a challenge of pistol duel. you gotta admire the clever wits in the lines of grant, and his mellowed wisdom as the ultimate debonair who conducts himself gracefully, retains his dignity under such a circumstance of potential humiliation.

jean simmons plays the talkative friend who flashes herself in the gaudy wardrobe of christian dior, and her vivicious humor is also adequately humorous under such an awkward condition as the outsider of a threesome.

"the grass is greener" is definitely very british, and incidentally it parodies the feud between america and britain, symbolizing it with marvellous line like "maybe it's time for america to place a statue of liberty (or libertine!) in britain" as the insinuation of mitchum's bold inference to grant's married life. such sophisticated comedy could be only made with stanley donen and stars like grant, kerr, mitchum and simmons, and nowaday show business can no longer produce such tasteful comedy with such pearly dialogues, impossible to exist under the absurd emphasis of savagely rugged manhood in contemporary action cinema or the radical effimination of male beauty in various recent advertisements.
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 1, 2007
jean simmons is a hoot
December 11, 2011
Okay, I really wanted to like this one based on the cast and the talent behind the camera, but it mostly just pissed me off. You take an ostensibly happy couple, who have some financial strife and suddenly the wife falls head over heels for the rich American who wanders by one day? Seriously? Deborah Kerr wants to piss away a marriage and children because life could be easier if she's with Robert Mitchum?

I guess this just felt a bit too dismissive of the gravity of the situation, as most other elements are played somewhat seriously and then the marriage is pissed away casually until it isn't and Kerr decides to stay with Cary Grant, who takes her back with no issues. Again, seriously?

It's watchable, and maybe I wouldn't hate it as much on a re-watch because I know where it's going.

^^As it turns out, the above statement is indeed true, I wasn't quite so put off the second time around with this film, but it's still not something I can love unconditionally, as the casual infidelity still sticks in my craw too much.

Rental or cable.
July 11, 2012
Cute and charming romantic comedy that is a bit like "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" but without any of the bite. (So, just see that movie instead. It's way better.)
October 17, 2009
An average out turn for Cary Grant, typical for the types of films he made in late 40s and early 50s...only this was the mid 50s, so not up to snuff with the rest of the stuff he made around the same time, it's not bad, but it's nothing new.
December 27, 2007
One of the very few Cary Grant movies out there that doesn't do anything for me. The ONLY highlight of the movie is watching Grant & Mitchum have a duel with pistols in the hallway.
July 29, 2007
Can the marriage survive the wife's affair with a wealthy American? Cary Grant is bound and determined to make sure it does!
katedifferent
February 8, 2007
It was weird, but it was pretty good. It's Cary Grant and it takes place in England - two of my favorite things!
June 2, 2013
I found this film to be completely awesome and recommend it to all my friends on the facebook !!! BFFs for evs x
May 24, 2012
some of the writing, mixed with Grant's awesome timing, is hilarious. quite qwippy w/a warm ending.
June 24, 2011
If you love classic movies, this is a under-rated gem. A must for Cary Grant fans!
Luxo Jr.
June 14, 2010
Victor (Cary Grant) and Hillary (Deborah Kerr) are down on their luck to the point that they allow tourists to take guided tours of their castle. But Charles Delacro (Robert Mitchum), a millionaire oil tycoon, visits, and takes a liking to more than the house. Soon, Hattie Durant (Jean Simmons) gets involved and they have a good old fashioned love triangle.

About half-way through the film, it's easy to get bored because of a bit too much dialogue that isn't very interesting. There isn't really much to this film on an entertainment level, for a comedy it lacks a few laughs. The story is fine and the performances are delightful. But in the end, it's a pretty mediocre movie.
Kiera
August 16, 2010
Some may be put off by the sheer lunacy of it, but what a stunning cast. The five leads are just unbelievably charming and clever in their own right. And it's actually not completely mindless! Cary Grant's character makes some intelligent points about marriage. So just have a good laugh.
postglock
April 17, 2010
Cary Grant and Moray Watson are wonderful in this brilliantly odd film. Unfortunately, both Deborah Kerr and Robert Mitchum are woefully uncharismatic. Thus, the movie swings from brilliance to boredom from scene to scene. If the viewer can push through these moments of tedium, then the film is worth watching for the better parts.
TVNerd95
November 21, 2007
I just love this movie. The whole cast (Cary, Deborah, Jean and Robert) all have an amazing chemistry and work so well together. This movie is very light-hearted and fun. It is also nice to Robert Mitchum in a comedy. Gene Simmoms does a great job as the quirky friend. The duel between Cary Grant and Robert Mitchum is one of my favorite scenes in moviedom. A truly classic romantic comedy.
Virus
March 10, 2004
Charming. Cary Grant is fantastic.

***/****