Gravity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gravity Reviews

½ November 12, 2013
In space no one can hear you snore..most overrated film of the year..surprisingly zero tension,couldn't have cared any less for the 2 characters..Bullock isn't interesting enough to carry an entire film & Clooney is as bland as always..would've been more interesting if they'd put the Chuckle brothers up there.
½ November 10, 2014
Devastatingly terrible. Not a moment throughout the film that I rejoiced. Nor did it succeed to make me care about any of its couple of characters.
Actual Rating: -5/5
½ February 14, 2012
An exhilarating theatre experience, but upon reflection, it feels like the phenomenal second half of a truly epic 150 minute sci-fi drama. In the end, it leaves you out of breath, inspired, yet thinking: ''That was awesome, but imagine.......''
½ October 5, 2013
A truly awesome, visual feast about two astronauts (George Clooney, Sandra Bullock), who are separated from their ship after a massive debris storm sends them spiraling into space, and how the two try to find a way back to not just the ship, but to earth as well. Although Clooney is given top billing from marketing reasons most likely, this movie is really Bullock's show, and she shines with limited dialogue and having to do a lot of acting with her facial movements. This film is not just a visual masterpiece, but it has a story to it as well, as well as two very likable characters, especially Bullock's who has a painful back story and is challenged to find the will to survive despite suffering a devastating tragedy. It has been too long since we last had an Alfonso Cuaron film ("Children of Men" is also a phenomenal accomplishment that should be seen, made in 2006), but all that waiting for his next film has resulted in a truly great picture. It is an exhausting film that successfully makes its viewer feel like they are the astronauts floating in space and grasping for life.
September 11, 2012
I can see somehow this movie is quite overrated by the critics by giving 97% fresh ratings compared to the audiences who only gave 81%.. But for me, Alfonso Cuaron undoubtedly did a really great job, with my favorite ones come from his directing style and a f**king awesome cinematography that gave them both the Oscar.. Even though Sandra Bullock only acts behind the helmet, but her expression looks natural, so no doubt she receive another Oscar nominee, which is also good for her to proves she's not one time glory Oscar winner.. Too bad they waste such a talent from George Clooney in this movie.. Overall, it's a good movie with a great aspect from its production team, but to rate it as the best movie of the year I have to disagree with that..
October 5, 2013
Cuarón does not seem to grasp the 3D technology that well nor is he always able to stick to the basic rules that he established for his own universe, but he overcomes these few flaws with astounding visuals, wonderful long takes and claustrophobic scenes to put us on the very edge of our seats.
½ April 12, 2014
Well here we are, the big Oscar winner, the talk of the town, so it seems. My brother stuck this on the Bluray the other night when I was at my folks, so without any warning I was thrown into orbit alongside the ever annoying Bullock and Hollywood lapdog Clooney. One thing was for sure, it was gonna be pretty.

The lowdown, a small team of astronauts are fixing the Hubble telescope when a field of lethal debris from a recent Russian missile strike on a satellite, hits them head on. The debris causes massive damage and strands our plucky heroes in orbit with virtually nowhere to go. From here on they must fight to survive by spacewalking to other nearby space stations to try and reach any remaining capsules so they can get back down to Earth.

OK so the first thing anyone with a brain will notice is the special effects, the visuals in general. Without trying to sound too deflating I have come to expect flashy super-duper effects from most modern films these days, its a given really isn't it, if the film doesn't look ultra amazing you'd be shocked. So while this film does have the perfect realistic look of a real NASA film from a real space somehow isn't overly mind blowing truth be told. It sure does look spot on for total scientific accuracy in every aspect from the space suits, the spacecraft, the space stations, cockpit controls, weightlessness, every little nut bolt and screw, and space physics in general.

So I can understand why this film won visual effects, kudos. But then we have the plot issues and accuracy issues, yeah yeah I know but come on, a big realistic film like this had better get its facts right...yes?, no. First off this Russian missile strike on a defunct satellite?? what the splodge was that about?!. Why would a country fire a missile at a defunct satellite firstly, surely this is bound to cause a chain reaction of problems. Secondly why blow up a satellite that no longer works? seems a bit over the top to me, surely you'd bring on international outrage doing this? causing a massive disaster in space, it just seems a really dumb decision. Then you have the fact that the astronauts lose contact with control completely, really? out of all the kit they have up there on various international platforms they still can't contact control! that's scary right there.

I won't go on about the technical issues as its nitpicking really...oh just one more. The astronauts travel between the Hubble, the ISS and the Chinese space station as if they are all in the same orbit!!. I'm afraid these objects are not in the same orbit and travelling between them would take some planning and a heck of a lot of fuel and oxygen, but hey kudos for trying anyway.

Whilst watching this visual extravaganza I realised something midway through, this film is nothing more than a pumped up Universal Studios or Disney's Hollywood Studios ride (formally MGM). Its all about the visuals and the ride, the plot is minimal and the acting was pretty standard in my opinion. Of course this being shown mainly in 3D only emphasises this notion, this whole experience is merely a theme park ride, hell I'm damn sure this film will be made into a theme park ride seeing as its pretty much there anyway, I can see it now, rumbling seats and smoke. There's nothing wrong with this essentially as it does what its suppose to do and thrill you with flashy CGI, but overall I kinda felt a bit tricked or cheated as it in no way feels like an actual movie.

As I already said the acting didn't inspire me much frankly. I dislike Bullock and have never rated her as an actress in any of her films mainly because she's the same in everything with that annoying squeaky clean voice and image. The same can be said for Clooney who simply plays Clooney in EVERYTHING!!, this guy cannot act one iota, he just does his smooth smug ladies man act because that's all he can do. He acts no better in this film than he does in a recent British coffee advert, its the same performance people!!! only difference here is he has an astronauts suit on sheesh!!.

I won't deny I didn't enjoy the film to a degree, it was nail biting at times which was all made possible down to the stupendous effects. But was it really that exciting? really? I mean the whole thing was so predictable, you know from the start the female will survive because in every film women are now the heroes (see what you have started Mr Cameron, with your 'Ripley' character). There was never a point where I didn't think she wouldn't survive otherwise there would be no film, there was only one slight surprise character wise, and I highlight *slight*.

I can see why this film made a splash and I fully backup the effects award even though in this day and age its not exactly a game changer, I think. The way they went about creating a fully realistic thriller in space that looks no different to something you'd expect to see from real footage is admirable, but that's all it is. Where as 'Apollo 13' was a nail biting epic drama, this really does feel like a short bombastic theme park ride with a wafer thin plot that's no better than a videogame. There's been a lot of fuss over this film and apart from the visuals I really don't get why. I feel like I'm repeating myself (I am) but bottom line its a big thumbs up for the effects and realism, but that's as far as it goes for me, my score reflects those two elements only.
½ October 3, 2013
Two astronauts are cast adrift when an accident in orbit destroys their space shuttle and leaves them stranded. I saw Gravity in 3D to experience the full effect and I must admit, the space walk scenes are visually spectacular and surely the closest the vast majority of us will ever come to experiencing space travel. Having said that, once you look past the surface Gravity is little more than a formulaic disaster flick with a plot that can be described as flimsy at best. George Clooney's character is a space cowboy stereotype and Sandra Bullock's Dr. Rhinestone (Rian Stone...seriously?!) is a typical Hollywood hero who is totally defined by one tragic experience in her past and just floats around in her undies looking scared while various bits of zero G flotsam drifts conspicuously around. In fact when she started sniffling that nobody had taught her "how to pray" while her tears floated into camera (again...seriously?!) I began to lose patience. There's probably an eco subtext about our planet being precious in there somewhere and as a technical exercise in ground breaking effects Gravity is worth seeing, but as a piece of drama it just does not stand up.
October 8, 2013
The most exciting and tremendous sci-fi adventure in years. This is definitely one of the very best pictures of 2013, hands down without a question. A gorgeous and riveting experience. Director, Alfonso Cuarón crafts an incredible work of art that shows off the the best of it's visual effects and the acting of it's lead star. A visually spectacular and emotionally gripping masterpiece. The special effects are outstanding, it really embraces you with its beauty and the power of its in-depth survival story. A jaw-droppingly mesmerizing and edge of your seat thriller that grabs you from its very first frame to its hopeful and unexpected conclusion. An unforgettable thrill-ride that's sentimental, nerve-racking and utterly stunning. George Clooney and Sandra Bullock are terrific. Clooney is cool, calm and confident and offers heart and humor and wonderful charm to keep Bullocks shaky character at ease. Bullock is a tour de force, she gives an amazing and gripping performance. Bullock gives the best performance of her career. An awesome movie that delivers alot more than you expect.
½ March 18, 2011
Alfonso Cuaron is an interesting director who I've already marveled at in "Children of Men," and here he takes a huge chance and made a stellar sci-fi film that defied the realm of technical beauty. All the awards this won in sound and visual effects were hard earned and completely sage. There's only two people onscreen the entire film, one dies early, and that's that. Bullock, driving herself along on sheer will, pulls this movie's momentum by her teeth, cavorting through the dizzying effects and nausea inducing violence of space. This film could easily have been classified as horror as well, what with the trauma of the situation, the lack of hope and the apparent desperation on Dr. Ryan Stone's face. A lot of what makes this film exceptional is what it accomplishes, what with its shorter running time, the scale of its effects, and the great peril that the story induces. The connection between the character of Stone isn't always fluid, and because it's really a short battle between her and the final frontier, there's not a lot of excitement, even with the acclaimed effects. It has the same energy of "Apollo 13" without using characters besides Stone, and there's a greater danger, since she floats through space at times, rather than sits in a smoking aircraft, yet there's still the same hopelessness, the same inner struggle, and the same brutal end. Bullock is exceptional, Cuaron is a master, and this film is a great achievement in the genre, overall.
½ September 16, 2013
From Alfonso Cuarón's visionary direction to Steven Price's suspenseful score, Gravity is a perilous film that adds a new dimension to the sci-fi genre. Thrilling visuals and an innovative portrayal of outer space embodied this entire film, making it breathtaking, crisp and sharp. 4.5/5
½ October 7, 2013
How refreshing... that the year 2013 in film will likely always be associated with "GRAVITY," a technical marvel that shows exactly how exciting and awe-inspiring a blockbuster can be without sacrificing the artistic vision of it's creator.It's so simple, so beautiful, and so perfectly paced and choreographed that you will be floored with not only how all of this was made and conceived, but how Alfonso Cuarón managed to pull all of it off cohesively in a 90 minute package (without the whole production feeling like a glorified tech demo). Cuarón is one of our premiere visionaries, and "Gravity" is his opus to date. I haven't even mentioned Sandra Bullock's career best work here that sells this story and keeps us emotionally invested; even through some undeniably hokey dialogue and the odd suspension of disbelief. As with any groundbreaking, special effects-laden Masterpiece in the CG age, it's a great curiosity as to how GRAVITY will hold up over time (even AVATAR is already showing signs of aging). Will it even work at all outside of a theater experience? But this much is clear; right now, GRAVITY is state of the art, it is stunning, and I don't see that changing any time soon. GRAVITY and Cuarón are fully deserving of the universal acclaim they have received. They are the real deal!
September 3, 2013
Gravity is a powerful, masterfully crafted, intelligent, thrilling, and at times heartbreaking saga that is not to be missed. Sandra Bullock gives a wonderful performance---in fact her best performance yet---as Ryan Stone. Bullock is perfect in this role; no other actress could have been the vulnerable, at times funny, and ultimately brave heroine that Bullock creates. It is an unforgettable journey that is well paced and visually engaging.
October 20, 2013
If you can suspend reality, then you will enjoy it. I'm no scientist but some of the things that happened here were a little bit too far-fetched at times. Other than that expect a really intense, suspenseful film. I didn't feel emotionally connected with these characters, but the story overall is quite good. The effects are pretty amazing as well.
June 9, 2013
3-D definitely helped this movie. I am not sure in 2-D I would have enjoyed it as much. Very suspenseful! New take on space movies!
January 8, 2014
three stars
December 30, 2013
Kinda ridiculously brilliant. If you're in the mood for edge-of-your-seat, heart-in-your-throat anxiety, this movie's for you!

That first person POV sequence of Dr. Stone spinning into black space at constant velocity for nearly a minute or so is physically sickening and incredibly engrossing. Lots of beautiful and terrible images from space; I didn't even mind the Christ and fetus imagery after Dr. Stone makes it into the hatch and takes a much-deserved minute of repose.

Sandra Bullock's nods/wins for this awards season will definitely be earned (I always knew she was a good actress; I just didn't think "The Blind Side" was her best, but 2009 was when the Academy took notice of her for some reason). Her gasps and groans of distress are minimalistic and don't sound like they were added in from a recording studio after shooting, but if they were, that's even all the more impressive. She swims through zero gravity so quickly and intentionally that I was inspired to go through the rest of my daily tasks with a renewed sense of purpose. My favorite scene is the one with her laughing and crying and howling with the civilian man's dogs on the radio. She is at once so joyful and so despairing.
½ October 6, 2013
This is by far the best movie I have seen in 2013. Cuaron does an amazing job directing, Bullock puts on the performance of her career and the visuals are something to marvel at. This movie is one that needs to be experienced in 3D or IMAX, but what an experience it is! It is easy to get lost in the realism of the story and the incredible cinematography. This film is a must-see.
December 28, 2013
Movie is spectacular. It will have you on the edge of your seat. Great cast and storyline.
½ October 14, 2013
Like many of this year's best films - 12 Years a Slave, Captain Phillips, and to an extent The Conjuring - Gravity is about characters facing seemingly impossible odds while holding on to the basic core of their humanity. Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock) and Matt (George Clooney)'s will to survive is put to the test at every turn. The story is not overly complex but it develops these characters enough to make us care wholeheartedly about them and their terrifying situation.
Visually, Gravity is in a league of its own. The CGI, green screen effects, and sound design are groundbreaking. Some of the sequences last for over ten minutes without a single cut. The cinematography is breathtaking. From minute one the tension is high and for ninety minutes does not let up even for a second. Sandra Bullock deserves another Oscar nomination for her work here. She holds this film together. Director Alfonso Cuaron needs to be commended for creating another visual masterpiece that easily puts Avatar to shame. See this in IMAX 3D if you can. The film is a masterpiece in any format but the 70mm screen will add even more marvel to the visuals.