Greased Lightning - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Greased Lightning Reviews

February 16, 2012
This seems like a kernel of a story that is drawn out for a whole film. There's bit and pieces that work, but it's just a continual and repetitive confrontation with racism. It hardly seems like anything progresses in the story; stuff just happens. It was interesting to see Richard Pryor playing it straight though, and Beau Bridges was pretty good in his role as the white friend.
½ February 16, 2012
Expecting another Pryor laughfest? This is a straight on drama. Look out for Julian Bond in a small part.
February 16, 2012
Great cast in a movie about stock car racing. Despite my lack of interest in the sport, the racing scenes were great fun to watch and the story interested me enough to want to find out more about Wendell Scott.
July 25, 2015
good bio-pic about USA's first black stock car driver
½ October 27, 2012
Based on the first African American NASCAR driver, Wendell Scott. Could have been better as the movie glossed over too much of the racial issues he faced, probably because the producers couldn't address them in a real way at the time.
February 20, 2012
Fantastic. One of my favorite Richard Pryor films.
February 16, 2012
Good racing scenes, if you're into a bunch of bootleggers smashin' into each other on a dirt track. (Say what you will about present-day NASCAR, there was a time when stock car racing was *awesome*.) Otherwise unexceptional.
found it good movie old i was born in 1977
½ February 16, 2012
go wendell scott! takes me back in the day.
½ February 16, 2012
I saw this back in the day and watched it many times after, a must see for NASCAR history fans!
½ February 16, 2012
Richard Pryor plays Wendell Scott the first black stock car driver to win a major racing championship, Pryor turns in an excellent performance as do his supporting cast of Beau Bridges, Pam Grier, Cleavon Little, and Richie Havens.
½ February 16, 2012
About a third of the way into watching this film, I started to think to myself that it felt like a bio-pic. Turns out, it is. Richard Pryor plays Wendell Scott, the first black driver in NASCAR. The early part of the film, which starts with Scott's return from the Second World War, is a great deal of fun. He teams up with friends to run moonshine in what kept reminding me of an episode of The Dukes of Hazaard. As the film progresses, in typical bio-pic fashion, things begin to happen with little context, like his sudden friendship with Beau Bridges' Hutch, or his rivalry with Beau Welles. Still, there are some very good parts, and Pam Grier looks absolutely amazing in the first half of the film. The movie does have a somewhat slow pace, perhaps because of its episodic nature. I was surprised to find out after watching it that it was just over an hour and a half. It felt much longer. I won't say I was bored, but it was slow. Certainly not amazing, but a pretty good movie.
February 16, 2012
The true story of Wendell Scott, the first black race car driver is inspiring to all.
½ February 16, 2012
A pretty good film but I thought it would be better than it actually was.
February 16, 2012
Based on the real life adventures of the first Black Nascar driver Wendell Scott, Greased Lighting is loads of fun in the first half with its Moonshine runs and small town shenanigans, but looses steam during the second halfâ??one derby race after the other leading into one Nascar race after the other just does not appeal to this viewer. Despite his blue reputation, Richard Pryor does understatement quite well and I liked his semi-forced friendship with white trash Beau Bridges, but I just donâ??t like seeing Pam Grier sitting on the sidelines as the dish wash towel ringing housewife. At just over 90 minutes, the film seems to go on forever and thatâ??s mostly due to the by-the-numbers second half. VF.
February 16, 2012
I want to see it as its a tribute (somewhat) to a NASCAR pioneer, Wendell Scott.
February 16, 2012
Pam Grier and NASCAR how can you lose?