• R, 1 hr. 28 min.

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

The Great New Wonderful Reviews

Alice S

January 3, 2010
Capitalizing on tragedy - blatantly and superficially. The script is too unspecific. It expects the audience to fill in the blanks of these characters' lives with our own interesting anecdotes and vocabulary. There's nothing insightful or different about these people. They're soooo regular. Just regular people dealing with 9/11. A slice of life that is too half-baked.

I was hoping to like another Danny Leiner movie, but I guess the only similarity between this and H&K is the Indian demographic. In all seriousness though, I found Satish's and Avi's characters the most intriguing for their seamless melding of Hindi and English.
puffchunk
puffchunk

November 30, 2007
Much less crappy than I thought it would be. A handful of good character studies done by good actors made it decent. Especially Tony Shaloub and his A-hole character that he always seems to play when he isn't Monk. Plus Judy Greer is nice to look at.

June 29, 2007
[font=Century Gothic]Set in September 2002 in New York City, "The Great New Wonderful" consists of five separate storylines:[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]Satish(Sharat Saxena) and Avi(Naseeruddin Shah) are two bodyguards who go about their jobs.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]Judy Hillerman(Olympia Dukakis) is hardly speaking to her husband, when she runs into an old school friend.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]A boy, Charlie Burbage(Billy Donner), has been acting out again.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]Sandie(JIm Gaffigan) is visited at work by a psychologist, Dr. Trabulous(Tony Shalhoub).[/font]
[font=Century Gothic]Emme(Maggie Gyllenhaal) is a high-end pastry chef.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"The Great New Wonderful" is a too earnest take on a disparate group of New Yorkers. There is not a lot of story here. Instead, the movie tries to rely alone on mood to convey the state of New York City one year after the 9/11 attacks, but does not come close to succeeding even with a fine cast and some good thoughts about how life is precious.[/font]
November 29, 2008
It sounded interesting, and the acting was alright, but it was too confusing.
The storylines jumped around abruptly, and far too many things were unclear.
jessicacaseholland
October 6, 2007
I really enjoyed this movie about the struggles of different individuals in New York one year after 9/11.
August 31, 2007
It's funny quite often, completely heartbreaking at times and a little boring at others. But great performances by the entire cast (including a fabulous bit of casting in Stephen Colbert as a principal) help make up for what could have ultimately been a bit more clever look at the ups and downs of life after 9/11.
gms1yygy
August 14, 2007
The box calls it a "deliciously bittersweet comic triumph". For me it was none of the four. I saw it yesterday and had today to think about it and read about it. I would have shortened it by having the "ordinary man" hit his psychologist with a chair in the first scene. I did enjoy the principal's description of the 10 year old boy - "shit and wood splinters for a heart" (sorry about the language - his, not mine).
cristinadelgado3
July 21, 2007
It's a bit ordinary. I suppose it's meant to be, given the theme - but nothing really grabs you. Maybe I expected a tad more...
shanleigh20
July 19, 2007
not the worst thing I've ever sat through but I just couldn't see where they were going. And the little boy ascareded me
May 21, 2007
i like it when there's a buncha stories going on at once, but none of the characters were very likable. I do like the part where steve colbert tells two parents that their kid has a "heart made of shit and splinters"...
March 11, 2007
No point. This movie is suppose to follow people's lives after September 11th and how they are coping with life. The Sept. 11th tragedy was mentioned once on the one year anniversary date from a newscaster and that was the only time it was mentioned. We followed these different lives around and how crappy their lives were and in the end there was no payoff and no point to the movie. Maybe there was a deeper meaning I just didn't have the committment to find it. Actors were good movie was meaningless.
July 12, 2013
This film captures the disconnected malaise that New Yorkers felt a year after 9/11. It is subtle and elicits a sense of being lost in the viewer, much like New Yorkers must have felt at that time. A remarkable, but somewhat disturbing series of vignettes that strike home.
September 3, 2012
I will admit: I only bought and watched this because Stephen Colbert is in it, but despite his small role, small, hilarious nuances surface each time you watch.
July 1, 2012
there was a sex scene in the film, absolutely disrespectful of thr 9/11 victims.
February 8, 2011
I would give this negative ratings if possible
January 31, 2011
I am doing a presentation on this for 9/11 Literature and Film, looks interesting.
Dave F.
November 21, 2009
And the point to all of this was?
Blind Pariah
July 13, 2007
It's hard to balance your family life with the demands of the CIA. I expected more from The Good Shepherd, but might have to give it another chance due to some plot complexity that was appreciated.

The Great New Wonderful had me quickly questioning why I'd rent it...was it a mention on the Colbert Report? Regardless, what a hunk of angst-ridden shit it was. I did care one iota for any character, for all the ones thrown at me, and was counting the minutes until I gave it up.

Joint Security Area was on my list for a long while. I wish it stayed there, unwatched. A murder mystery that didn't interest me at all. Throw whatever alternate future trappings upon it as you will, it started and continued like an A&E sleuth yarn, and I shut it off after 30 min.

Really stinker run going now. Some of these were from my cinemail, not downloads, so they are even more disappointing. I'm going to stop checking my mail if this keeps up. heh heh

June 29, 2007