97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Green Mile Reviews

Liam G

July 28, 2014
Some of the supporting characters are a little two-dimensional, but 'The Green Mile' is an incredibly effective prison drama with terrific performances and a script that deals with grief in an innovative and emotionally resonant way.
Josh L

August 5, 2007
The Green Mile is an amazingly soulful movie that features strong acting from an incredible cast. Frank Darabont directs another prison movie with style and humanism. He rarely directs films, but when he does they are usually knockouts (including the Shawshank Redemption & The Mist). Michael Clarke Duncan gives a simply wonderful performance here that rightfully got nominated for an Oscar. The fact that he died prematurely makes this even more of a heart-wrenching story to me. Tom Hanks is his reliably likable self and the rest of the cast is made up of good character actors. I thought most of the characters in this film were memorable. It's really hard to explain to someone without giving details away, but for first-timers this film will surprise you. The 3 hour run time seems long, but this film could not have been better paced. I never found myself checking the time. This is a classic that deserves to be seen.
Apeneck F

July 12, 2007
Stephen King's hypothetical update about the inner life of the Roman centurions who famously are chosen to kill an innocent man gets a devoted treatment by Frank Darabont and friends well worth your time. A great cast is quietly aided by ... the wonderful Mr.Jingles.
KJ P

September 25, 2010
As long as the film is, you can easily sit through it, and by the end of the film, it will feel like you were in the prison with these characters in real time. Tom Hanks is fantastic as a prison guard who can clearly see that their newest death-row inmate is innocent. However, once you are sentenced there is no going back. Once a miracle is found in this man (John Coffey), he begins to cure things that are worth it, and let be punished the ones who deserve it. As amazing as this film is, all around, there is one question I still find myself wondering throughout all of these types of films. Why and how? These questions are never answered, but are shown in a way that makes you not even care. This film is beautifully written and perfectly cast. Michael Clarke Duncan delivers the performance of his career. There are scenes in this film that will make you quiver, and there are scenes that will keep you on the edge of your seat until you cry. My only complaint is that they had such an amazing premise, and over three hours to tell it, but I feel like they didn't explore the most important part enough. "The Green Mile" is nothing short of a masterpiece, with just a few unanswered questions, and for me, it does hurt the film a bit. Overall, it is a breathtakingly powerful film!
garyX
garyX

March 17, 2007
An ex-prison officer recounts the time during the Depression when a gentle giant with a remarkable gift for healing was on Death Row for the murder of two little girls. I've made no secret of my complete lack of respect for Stephen King and his work, but Frank Darabont made a fine job of adapting another of his prison bound stories The Shawshank Redemption and here he has shown his cinematic ability once more. His measured direction skillfully sidesteps schmaltz and presents a nicely judged comic drama with a supernatural slant that manages to survive the rather ridiculous premise. In fact it is a success despite the source material rather than because of; the mystery aspect is contrived and unconvincing and the supernatural element silly and almost unnecessary. The joy of this film is in the characters and performances, making for a story that's both in turn funny and touching, thinly veiling a message about the grotesque practice of capital punishment. It's really well paced considering its mammoth length, never growing tiresome and only the rather trite attempt at seeming profound for the epilogue rang hollow. Not quite as good as Shawshank, but still easily one of the best of a largely woeful bunch of King adaptations.
Adam K

May 30, 2012
Despite its length, Frank Darabont delivers a passionate and emotionally thrilling film, which brings its viewers right to the heart of the story. Starring Tom Hanks, Michael Clark Duncan and James Cromwell, and based on the Stephen King story, "The Green Mile" tells the story of a prison guard and his death row team in the middle of the great depression and the mystical and magical going ons that take place when a new prisoner arrives.

Darabon'ts follow up to the public hit and continued moviegoers favourite, "The Shawshank Redemption", is again set in a prison, but this time the focus is on the screws, rather than the prisoners. Running at a little over three hours, the film is long, there is no denial, but it is worth the wait to see a powerful emotional piece of cinema, which the "Mile" most certainly is.

With a good adaptation from King's original novel, the story itself is excellent, providing intertwining and entertaining ideas. However what really shines through is the characters, and their portrayals by the outstanding cast.

As always Tom Hanks provides a fantastic portrayal, but Michael Clarke Duncan and David Morse are the real shine throughs, playing their respective characters beautifully.

Michael Clarke Duncan plays his role of John Coffey beautifully, causing tears to flood from practically all soft centred viewers, in many moments of this beautiful film. Whilst the cinematography itself is nothing special, the film has a certain cinematic shooting quality, a special tint which adds to the mystical themes and feel of the entire film itself.

Though it took him five years in between his first film and this one, it was worth the wait. Frank Darabont has produced a wonderfully inspiring film, fantastic acting as always from a brilliant cast all round, and one which not one actor or actress ever lets down.
Nathan H.
Nathan H.

December 8, 2011
A rare film that sets a supernatural element within a realistic world. Tom Hanks gives another stellar performance, as always, and Michael Clarke Duncan shows tryue acting skills. The entire movie flows perfectly, with surprising emotion and elegance.
blkbomb
blkbomb

February 3, 2011
Old Paul Edgecomb: We each owe a death - there are no exceptions - but, oh God, sometimes the Green Mile seems so long.

"Paul Edgecomb didn't believe in miracles. Until the day he met one."

The Green Mile; loved the book, love the movie. Frank Darabont took another prison drama story from Stephen King and once again made a phenomenal adaption from it. The story is simply amazing and Darabont brought it to the screen with as much precision and skill as when he made The Shawshank Redemption. Him and Reiner just know how to make Stephen King dramas.

This story is set in the south where death row inmates stay for the last days of their lives. Paul Edgecomb is the head officer at what he calls the Green Mile. John Coffey, played to perfection by Michael Clarke Duncan, is transported there for the killing of two little girls. Before long Paul comes to see that John can work miracles and that he is actually a gentle and kind man; despite the fact that he was condemned to death. The cast is astounding wit David Morse and Barry Pepper as a couple of guards. Once again James Cromwell plays a warden, and Bonnie Hunt plays his sick wife.

The movie comes in at over three hours, but still you won't find yourself bored and you won't look away. It is an emotional story and everyone involved hits all the right notes. I saw this as a young kid, probably when I was eight or nine and some of the images from the first time I watched are still in my head. John Coffey sitting, weeping with the two dead girls in his arms is an image that is hard to get out of your head.

The Green Mile is an outstanding film that captures Kings novel well. The film evokes a variety of emotions throughout. You'll hate some characters, you'll love some, you'll laugh and you'll tear up.
BG Movie Reviews
BG Movie Reviews

October 23, 2011
I have to say, right here, right now, that this is hands down the best film I have ever seen! I know that may seem to many like an exaggeration, but I really do mean it; it is a masterpiece.

Tom Hanks plays as a man called Paul, who is keeping his Last Mile, known as the Green Mile, under control. Working with people played by the likes of David Morse, everything seems fine. Except for the particular pain, Percy. He is very sadistic and is a pain to everyone; with the added arrival of a very unusual criminal, things begin to get interesting...

What amazes me is the completely different tone of story that the original novel the film was based on, written by Stephen King, takes, compared to many of his other novels. It is still quite dark and compelling, but also humorous and emotional.

When most people think of me watching a film, I tend to dismiss films as either unscary, laughable, or not very sad. This one was still not scary (because it wasn't intended to be), but was not laughable and was very sad indeed. I tend to be very strong and avoid tears in films, but I will admit that at the end of this film, I was in tears, making this one of the few films I can empathise for the characters.

What really makes this film as strong as it is, is the power and force behind the story. Many films tend to take a more soft, lighter topic base for the film, but The Green Mile went straight in and hit the really serious stuff; things like, execution, painful death, torture, child rape and murder, all of which are incredibly sinister and horrible topics to talk about.

Never before have I seen a film that has been so emotional, nor a film as dark and gritty as this, with some slightly light hearted moments. If you haven't already seen this film, watch it: it will change your outlook on films forever!
Eric A

September 25, 2011
One of the best films I've ever seen. Very climatic and brilliant.
Alexander D

June 15, 2011
Based on one of Stephen King's few non-horror novels, THE GREEN MILE is a long, moving, poignant prison drama with an interesting fantasy twist. Starring Tom Hanks and Michael Clarke Duncan, it tells the story of Paul Edgecomb, a guard working at a prison where a man named John Coffey is brought into custody. Though he has been convicted of brutally murdering two girls, Paul soon enough discovers that John has a special healing power and really comes across as a kind man. Though clearly demented at some points in the plot, THE GREEN MILE was overall a great film. I plan on reading the serial novel on which it is based sometime soon, as it is sitting on my bookshelf, collecting dust and waiting patiently to be read; but as for a recommendation for anyone who hasn't seen this, see it. I can't guarantee you'll like it--there's always a movie not to like, after all--and I can't exactly guarantee you'll make it through the entire three hours and eight minutes, but it is most certainly worth a try. Rent it on Netflix, find it broken up in segments on YouTube, find it on TV, get it On Demand, buy it--whatever. Just make sure you see this film.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

August 27, 2011
Frank Darabont's makes another Stephen King adaptation and he delivers yet another great film. Though not as memorable as The Shawshank Redemption, this film still has great drama. Frank Darabont is a terrific director when it comes to adapting Stephen King to the screen. Like with every other of Darabont's works, this film has a terrific cast and they all deliver something unique to this memorable film. I especially enjoyed Sam Rockwell in this role, and I thought he was perfect for the part he played. Aside from Michael Clarke Duncan, Rockwell was the most memorable on screen. I'm not saying the cast was terrible, I'm just saying that those are the two performances that really did stand out for me. Frank Darabont crafts yet another strong film, but of course, it's a bit less strong than his unforgettable Shawshank Redemption. This is a beautiful film with a powerful, touching story and it's quite mesmerizing. Darabont made a solid film, and what I really enjoy about Darabont's body of work, is that he always stays close to the source material. He's one of only a select few of directors who are able to successfully adapt a Stephen King oeuvre to the screen, and maintaining the essence of the original work. The Green Mile is almost perfect, and Darabont has made a strong film that's supported by a very good cast. An amazing, sad and at times feel good film that you shouldn't pass up. One of Darabon't best films after The Shawshank Redemption. A near perfect adaptation of a unique Stephen King tale.
theunknownhobo
theunknownhobo

August 25, 2011
As a die hard King fan I must take my hat off to Darabont for his almost exact portrayal of a much beloved and treasured story. It is hard to say that with many books that are adapted to film, but with the slight exception of who Jake the bird belonged too and a few other inconsistancies, I would be proud as an author to have a director and cast stick so whole heartedly and focused to my story as the entire cast and director did to this one. One of the best stories ever told, on paper and on screen.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
A classic!
Zach B

June 4, 2011
If you really think about it, there is always going to be that one time in every man's life that he will have to do something that he knows is wrong, but he must do. For Paul Edgecomb, his might be too much of an emotional pain as he starts to understand inmate John Coffey and realizes John's "Special Gift". Like his previous film (The Shawshank Redemption), director and writer Frank Darabont creates what is maybe one of the best adaptations of any Stephen King story and the ultimate companion piece to his prison film, and at the same time creates an epic that really touches on your emotions. The pacing he has for this film is well done. At a three plus hour film, he makes it feel like it is only two hours and if you ask me, that is something of an accomplishment. In terms of acting, everyone gives top performances but the one that should be mentioned is Michael Clarke Duncan's performance as John Coffey. He makes this giant brute a lovable and sympathetic figure and you start to really care about his outcome. Tom Hanks also gives a performance that proves that he deserved his Oscar for FOREST GUMP. You understand where his character stands, but you can not help but feel angry at the end of the film when he has to do what he must. Finally, the score to this film. For the most part, it fits in some scenes perfectly well. But, there are some spots when it could have been much better. But, this is a film that the music is not that important. But, the parts that it did enhance, it done a wonderful job. Overall, this is a long film that is beyond emotional and sheds light on others that are different and the impact they can leave on people. Works great as a companion to THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION.
jamers2011
jamers2011

August 5, 2010
Although not as good as The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile is yet another fantastic collaboration between director Frank Darabont and Stephen King. A nice blend of historical culture, emotion, humor, and memorable characters, this film is one of the best of 1999. Of the many appealing attributes of the film, the great cast stands as one the best things, with good performances all across the board, especially from leading man Tom Hanks, and supporting actors Michael Clarke Duncan, Michael Jeter, and Sam Rockwell. A sad, touching, thought provoking film...I recommend it to everyone.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

April 5, 2011
A masterful movie of hope, jealousy, and good and evil. Hanks is great but the true genius is Micheal Clarke Duncan, he was genius. The plot was tremendous and great adaption. Its such a tear kerking masterpiece. It needs to be watched by all.
Shawn E

March 23, 2011
A wonderful story of a guard on death row who meets a wrongly accused man with extraordinary powers. This is a very touching film with some heartfelt acting by Tom Hanks. The film may be a little long but it certainly will not feel that way. A highly recommended film for all to watch as some great reflections are made on the values of life.
rayman0071
rayman0071

October 6, 2010
Author Stephen King is good at touching folks' hearts as he is scaring the wits out of them. Case in point...Exhibit A: "The Shawshank Redemption".
Exhibit B: "The Green Mile",released around Christmas of 1999,was also based on a short story by Stephen King and was also based inside the confinement of a state prison. Michael Clarke-Duncan(in his feature film debut was nominated for the Oscar of Best Supporting Actor)plays a mentally challenged man sent to death row for a double murder in 1930's Louisiana(at the height of the Jim Crow South). As the head guard,Tom Hanks(Oscar nominated for Best Actor),gets to know him,he realizes that he is not only the new but strange inmate,but possesses very special powers. With a strong supporting cast that includes David Morse,Bonnie Hunt,Michael Jeter, along with Sam Rockwell and James Cromwell,"The Green Mile" was one of the best dramas to come out of the 1990's,and it made Tom Hanks "the James Stewart of our generation".
Nicki M

January 12, 2008
Extremely long, but very good movie. As you would expect from a Stephen King story, something a bit different and a lot of detail put into all the characters. The story was very sad also.