Griff the Invisible - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Griff the Invisible Reviews

Tired of Previews
½ September 11, 2012
Question: Do you ever feel invisible? You are standing there, existing in the world but no one seems to notice you or how special you are? I am positive a lot of you think this way but there is at least one person who gets you and when that happens - all is right in your world.

An Australian film I just watched on Netflix, Griff the Invisible, touched on this subject. The movie stars Ryan Kwanten also known as Jason Stackhouse from TrueBlood speaking in his native Australian accent and playing a very different type of character. Anyway, he plays Griff, an introverted, awkward fellow who sees the world differently but who also lives in the world where no one really sees the true him. Um, not sure if I am describing it right.... The whole point of the film is that we all have our own perspectives on things but there are those rare few that no one understands and they become obsolete or unnoticeable to most.

Bottom line, Griff thinks he is a superhero put here to protect the innocent which in turn makes him want to hide from others so no one figures out his secret (mission). Okay, that's enough detail of the story. Let's talk overall picture.

Well, Griff the Invisible started off intriguing and with me wanting to know more about each character, specifically Griff. Ryan Kwanten was quite adorable as the awkward, unassuming chap who just wanted to do good deeds. He pulled off the innocence and detachment from the real world in a very convincing way. It was a big departure from his role on True Blood - the overly cocky yet not so smart character.

Another element that stood out in Griff the Invisible was the cinematography/art direction. There were not a lot of special effects in this film but just enough to keep the story on the fantastical side. Also, the use of a certain shade of yellow was splattered throughout the film. It caught my eye as I enjoy color theory and know that yellow is an intense color to grab people's attention which is the opposite of what Griff wanted. It made me curious especially when the love interest wore the other two primary colors.

Besides Ryan Kawnten and the visuals of the film, I finished the film with an unsatisfactory energy even though the ending made me smile. It started about halfway through the film, the story dulled and I found myself not really interested in the characters as much as I was in the beginning of the film. However, it was worth the viewing.

Directed & written by Leon Ford, Green Park Pictures, 2010.

Starring: Ryan Kwanten, Maeve Dermody, and Marshall Napier.

Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance.

My favorite thing: One character (Melody) had some great lines in it. Some made me giggle.

My least favorite thing: That the story wasn't well-rounded, I suppose.

Rating: PG-13
Length: 90 minutes

Review: 5 out of 10
August 25, 2011
An Aussie comedy starring True Blood's Ryan Kwanten, Griff is a pragmatically kooky film with little consideration for plot or character development. Instead it tries to contain its quirky attitude by subverting the superhero genre once more, adding to the list that includes Defendor and Super. It's less of a superhero genre and more of an indie romantic comedy. The superhero aspect of the plot is simply to deviate from the character's oddity up front. At first it seems to fit well within superhero fair, including big fights, large equipment, and even a latex costume. Still, it's supposed to be about a man with complex imaginatory powers and a woman with the same freakish demeanor. Griff seems to be too psychologically damaged to make sense as a male lead, and his imagination swells the entire film in a fog of uncertainty. For a large portion of the film I wasn't sure if he really did possess all the capabilities of a hero or if it was a part of his psyche. It's always nice to see the lonesome protagonist fight the odds by being a force of goodness while staying in the shadows, but here it's just more embarrassment and shame. Of course, even if he was the hero, he would be atypical since he keeps to himself and acts senselessly. At the same time his brother is dating a strange woman who meets Griff unexpectedly and she becomes the love interest. Their antics together, and their shared neurosis makes for the rest of the plot, which winds into obscurity and delineates quickly from the beginning. By the very end it's clear that it's cute and charming in places, but overall it's also convoluted, complicated, and formulaic as well. The performances from everyone, especially Kwanten and Dermody, were dramatically sound. I found the leads to be realistically strange and yet sympathetic to each other, nearly symbiotic with their co-dependency. A great love story in the cutest sense.
August 7, 2011
A fantasy love story that I found quite endearing. Fun. Quirky. Sweet. A little cooky, a little sci fi, a little romance, a little different. Well done...
January 26, 2012
Funny, charming and strange: exactly what you wouldn't expect. Full review later.
½ August 19, 2011
Griff: Before I tell you this, you have to commit to a vow of secrecy unlike any other.

Prior to going into Griff the Invisible, I had known not one detail about it, aside from the classy-looking poster and that it starred True Blood's Ryan Kwanten, who I am a grand fan of. Although it looks like a superhero movie, it is much more than that. This was a quirky, charming, and lovable romantic comedy. Even though the main plot does involve a masked vigilante, we don't focus much on the crime fighting as we do on the deterioration of a man who doesn't quite fit in with the world, and how Melody (Maeve Dermody), a clumsy and unusual girl can change all of that. If you are looking for something different, quirky, and charming, than this is the film for you.

I don't quite know why, but I absolutely adored this Aussie film. There are so many charming little individual moments of wit, humor, and delight that I can't help but smile at. Lets start with the main character, Griff. Ryan Kwanten gives a magnificent lead performance showing that he is well-capable of doing non True Blood roles. Kwanten has a sort of quirkiness when playing Griff. The audience never quite realizes if Griff is just plain crazy or if everyone else is. I found that both relatable and endearing to watch.

We've been delivered a never ending wave of big-budgeted superhero movies (not that it's a bad thing) and I'm proud to say that Griff the Invisible surpasses many of them, which is pretty surprising if I'm being frank. As I recall in my previous reviews of indie movies (except for Juno, that was shot like a Hollywood flick), I have mentioned that I love the feel of it. Again, this is a greatly shot film with a real indie feel to it, except a few back alley chase scenes, all being handled with great integrity. Even though it had an indie feel, it didn't feel cheaply shot at all (if that makes any sense). Also, Griff the Invisible is presented in glorious 2D (one of the only superhero films to be presented that way in a while), making it even better, if it wasn't awesome enough already.

Another cool aspect I admired about this was how the effects were nicely made. Griff's suit in particular looks very realistic when invisible and doesn't look all too fake. I don't have much to say about the director Leon Ford, because he has no previous projects, but I will say that for a debut film, he did a beautiful job, and I am looking forward to seeing his future projects. I wouldn't mind a Griff the Invisible: Part II due to the fact that they left this one open for the possibility of a sequel. Also, I watched this film directly after I watched Animal Kingdom, another Australian film (outstanding film, you can find it on Starz on Demand). I'm digging all of these great Aussie flicks, and look forward to watching more in the future.

I've always been a huge fan of superheroes ever since the 1989 Batman flick. It's kind of a no-brainer that I would adore this film, but I adored the romantic concept much more than the hero concept, which almost never occurs. There have been a few great "normal superhero" movies lately, most notably Matthew Vaughn's Kick-Ass and James Gunn's Super. This easily ranks up there with them, but is a double-genre as a romantic comedy with a twist, which is very enjoyable to view. There is one large difference between these three films, and that is that Griff, for starters is PG-13, and isn't as disturbing or intense as the others, but still very fun and sweet. Without spoiling, there are one or two scenes that may serve as too intense or seriously deranged, but most of those sequences are either in Griff's head or are played very fantasy-like.

There is a whole lot to be said about Griff the Invisible. Unfortunately, Griff is currently invisible to the public, and the only real publicity it has received was from Ryan Kwanten dressing up as Griff the Invisible at this years Comic-Con, giving away flyers. It disappoints me that this is not well known, yet people go crazy over a new Spy Kids film. For whoever sees this, it's up to us to pass it to as many people as we can and perhaps, someday, Griff the Invisible will be visible to the public and this can become a cult classic, because it certainly is a timeless classic in my eyes.
½ August 21, 2011
Quirky, odd, and flat. Had potential, but lost it along the way.
September 23, 2011
A sweet/sad little flick that is greatly bolstered by a terrific performance from Ryan Kwanten as a shy office worker who has either a second job as a super hero or a very interesting inner life. That question is the motor of the story, and it's enough to keep the thing chugging along, but the whole enterprise would probably crumble if Kwanten wasn't such a captivating presence. There's a probably-too-quirky love story here as well, although it's played with grace and charm, and a not-as-convincing brothers-as-helpers story that is also acted well but starts to strain belief. But again, if you only know Kwanten from TRUE BLOOD, this movie makes one thing clear: he's the real deal.
July 29, 2011
This is a movie perfect for nerds! If you're one of them I bet you'll give it 100%! It is made for them! But it's not bad for others, either... It is a film where imagination is running wild.

Griff is a little confused spandex donning and ass kicking character... but soon you realize that there's more to him (or maybe less?). He is a doormat at work and is mocked by the people around him, who never have a problem making fun of how uncomfortable he is or the lonely life he leads. Griff's brother Tim (Patrick Brammall) moved closer to Griff to take care of him, but he's not really excited that he had to, because it gets in the way of his social life.

Melody (Maeve Dermody) is his brother's girlfriend, who isn't quite as awkward as Griff, but is strange in her own way, and believes she can phase through walls but usually ends up running into them. It was predictable that she and Griff would end up together...

GRIFF THE INVISIBLE is the film like Griff himself: well meaning and adorable nerd, but ultimately a bit confused about itself and still has some growing up to do... on few levels!
March 28, 2011
I just saw this! Its Heartwarming, funny and very wierd in a way :P. Definitely Worth the watch!
June 6, 2012
Griff the Invisible is a strange take on the superhero genre. It's an Australian film that could use a little tweaking, but is still charming in its own right. The twists are fun though. It turns out not to be such a superhero kicking butt as a psychological type flick.

Griff the Invisible is worth seeing. It's not a fast paced movie, but when you're in the mood for a slower film with a good story and likable actors, give this a shot.
½ June 12, 2012
More of a love story than the trailers make it look, and pretty cute and magical for all that. Ryan Kwanten gets a chance to show how far he can act, and Maeve Dermody is sweet as his girlfriend Melody ("Like the song, right?"). The ending is a little hard to predict at one point, but you'll be smiling fondly through tears of joy and laughter when it comes.
August 25, 2011
Others seem to like this ( and I typically enjoy indie-romcoms ), but Griff just wasn't very engaging. Nothing stood out, and the "wanna-be superhero" plot has been done to death by now.
January 30, 2015
½ November 10, 2013
This might just be the loveliest movie I've seen in some time
½ August 21, 2013
A sweet whimsical film that is a romance, comedy, drama, and so much else that it is hard to accurately define, but it is definitely entertaining. A very different role from Jason Stackhouse for Ryan Kwanten and it is one he does well with a very understated performance.
August 19, 2011
Mopey-but-sweet Australian entry in the Kick-Ass homemade superhero sweepstakes.
½ May 15, 2013
A bit disjointed narratively but this film rises on strong visuals and the utterly charming and quirky performances and sweet love story at the center
August 13, 2011
very unique. behind the complicated ideas lies simplicity and joy. totally recommended.
April 21, 2013
Combining quantum physics, fantasy, strength of character and a love story, this movie may fly over the heads of unthinking mono-dimensionalists. I loved it.