93% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

Touchez Pas au Grisbi (Hands Off the Loot) Reviews

sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

April 27, 2009
an excellent crime story. gabin plays a solid lead and scala is sexy in her limited role in a film that caught me by suprise. only loosely a heist film, it is fairly similar to much of melvilles great work. im glad i bought the film because i know i will rewatch it many times.
Pierluigi P

April 10, 2008
There are more worries in the life of a gangster besides money. There's love, loyalty, friendship, and the most implacable killer of all: time itself, the way it undermines and vanishes every human being no matter how strong or resolute he/she used to be.
Jean Gabin plays the elegant and charismatic Max, an aging criminal mentor who finds his way to retirement full of bumps.
After pulling out the heist that Max thought would end up his occupation for good, Max's best friend Riton tells his girlfriend (a very young Jeanne Moreau) about their last job. Unfortunately, this leak of information given by the incompetent Riton leads to his kidnapping by Max's competitor Angelo (Lino Ventura) who will demand their last job's loot for ransom. It will all be decided in a tense and masterfully shot gun battle.
An engrossing masterpiece with phenomenal direction, acting and cinematography.
rubystevens
rubystevens

January 6, 2008
this is just an outstanding piece of crime drama and paved the way for many great french gangster films to come, including dassin's rififi and melville's bob le flambeur. jean gabin, making a terrific comeback, is deadly cool as the weary max, out to save his friend and his loot from rival lino ventura, in his first film role. an unknown and almost unrecognizable jeanne moreau plays the woman who comes between them. with a fantastic running gun battle as the finale! i adored this more than any of melville's gangster films except perhaps le doulos. this was my first taste of jacques becker and i want more!
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

August 16, 2005
[font=Century Gothic]"Touchez Pas Au Grisbi" is unlike most other heist films in that it concerns itself solely with the aftermath of a heist and not with the actual crime. Max(Jean Gabin) is a suave, aging criminal who is tiring of the nightlife. He trusts noone except for his partner and is weary of everbody. Everything changes when he is followed home from a night club...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Touchez Pas Au Grisbi" gets off to a slow start but is eventually worthwhile, mostly due to Jean Gabin's pitch perfect performance and Jacques Becker's keen direction. The movie's material which includes drug use and plenty of innuendo(not to mention some very interesting paintings) is more mature than I originally expected for a movie made in 1953. That having been said, the movie focuses mainly on the men with the women being treated as windrow dressing or worse.[/font]
Tom S

June 14, 2010
Very procedural. I feel like this must have had a fair amount of influence on later Melville. But where the procedure humanizes characters here, it usually has the opposite effect in Melville.
jjb3332003
October 5, 2013
A good plot, but the film felt somewhat dated. One of the cornerstones of the modern gangster genre.
March 6, 2013
Great little French film noir that I happened to catch via TCM, well worth a look if you're a fan of the genre. A career criminal wants to pull that one last score, and we all know how those work out, now don't we?

Great stuff, and it's made me a fan of Jean Gabin for life.

Recommended.
rickrudge
January 25, 2013
Touchez Pas au Grisbi (1954)
Losely translated this means Don't Touch the Loot.

I'm kind of new to the whole French Film Noir era of the 1950's, but seeing this movie really made me a believer. This film is my all-time favorite one, and I highly recommend it. I definitely want to see more of Jacques Becker's films.

The film begins with Max (Jean Gabin) at a restaurant hangout, Chez Bouche, with his partner, Henri Ducros dit Riton (René Dary) and some young showgirls, Josy (Jeanne Moreau) and Lola (Dora Doll). Both men are aging criminals, realizing that they are getting too old for this. Max tells Riton that he's being a fool for Josy; nightclubbing at his age; that he should kick her to the curb and if he were younger he would have simply waited and collected her money when she got home. Instead, Riton tells her that he and Max are sitting on 50 million francs in gold bars from a previous heist.

Naturally, Josy tells another crook Angelo Fraiser (Lino Ventura) about those bars. So Angelo kidnaps Riton to get the bars from Max. Although Max knows that Riton brought this on himself, he doesn't think twice about picking up the bars and releasing his buddy. Not only that, but his friends seem to drop everything to help him too. That shoots that honor amount thieves.
January 9, 2010
January 2010 - A lovely noir and one of the best examples of the French approach to the genera. This is also incredible because of the acting of Lino Ventura and obviously Jean Gabin.
Jungian
September 21, 2008
a highly entertaining and bold thriller from jacques becker starring jean gabin. a very straight forward, no frills preformance from gabin. the film's characters have a subtle depth; which is really what makes it all so great. it seems that this film is a precursor to the melancholic style of crime dramas that melville would later use. great stuff.
March 21, 2013
Like all the best French gangster films of the 50's and 60's Tochez pas au Grisbi is all about men living up to their code of conduct. The gangsters code of conduct.
Max and Riton are aging criminals and Max wants nothing more than to retire on the proceeds of their latest heist. Max also feels that the somewhat dim Riton has been holding him back over the years. When Riton is kidnapped by rival gangsters demanding a share of the loot (Grisbi) Max must decide if he will abandon Riton to his fate. Of course there is never any choice for Max, true to his code he must and risk all to help Riton.

What this film also shows is why Max is a criminal. He dresses well, eats in fine restaurants and visits expensive nightclubs. Compare this to White Heat where Cody despite a series of successful robberies, spends most of his hiding out in the mountains.

Along with Rififi, Bob the Flambour and Le Doulos, Touchez pas au Grisbi is a film no lover of film noir should miss
Adrian B.
May 27, 2012
Two organized crime members, an aging gangster (Jean Gabin) and his friend (Rene Dary), scheme to rob a casino of gold bars. Everything goes according to plan, but sadly, one of the friends is kidnapped by enemy gangsters, which involves a new clause for an exchange of gold bars for the friend's life with the rival criminals. Though the film is slow at times, the pay-off at the end is very strong, as well as the black-and-white photography used throughout at the movie. It could have been so good had there been more action and less chatting during the middle part, but thankfully the payoff is strong. The relatively skimpy female dancers at the beginning at quite a nice surprise as well.
K L
May 11, 2012
My second Becker film, the first one being LE TROU, which I could appreciate but could not love... I'm even less impressed by TOUCHEZ PAS AU GRISBI. The suspense is LE TROU pulls everything together, and the film is at times slow but never boring. GRISBI, on the other hand, has not the clarity of LE TROU. I get confused by the characters and what they are doing, and why. The cinematography is solid but nothing spectacular.
March 26, 2012
Pure Jacques Becker, slow to start but becomes great. Its pure film noir with an incredable stylized use of shadows and darkness you come to expect and love from film noir with a pure harass performance by Jean Gabon. (8/10).
October 5, 2011
..french film noir ??? ??? ????????? ???? ??? ????????? gang-??????? ?????? ??? ??????? ????? ???? ????????? (??? ?????? ?????? ? ??????????? ? ????????? ???????? ??????????????) ?? ?????? ??????, ?????? ? ?????????..? ?????? ????????? ??????? ? ? ?? ??????? ????? ? ? ??? ????????? ??????? ??? Melville, ? ?? ???????? ? ????????? ??? ?????? ???? Jeun Gabin ??????????? ????? ????????? ???? ??? ???? ??????????????? star ??? ???????? cinema ??? ????????? ???..
December 13, 2010
Gabin cria com grande autenticidade o personagem de um dos mais honrosos e habilidosos gangsters franceses. Este noir nao necessita de apoiar se no cinema americano, ele possui demasiada forca em sua trama, estilo e em seus personagens.
February 24, 2011
Sameeraa mulkigs gabals, bet Zhans Gabens tik stiligi dzer viinu un velk duumu, ka pasham arii sagribas.
Virus
July 9, 2006
A french film noir with style.
coconorma
October 21, 2005
Jackie Brown ? Now I?ve finally seen all of Tarantino?s films. It?s a really fun film, and I loved the character of Jackie Brown. She was just fun, so was Sam Jackson and Robert DeNiro.

Castle in the Sky ? Another great film from Miyazaki. That guy can do no wrong. There are so many more of his films I need to see, and I just can?t wait to get my hands on them.

Touchez pas au grisbi ? I?m so bummed, because we watched [i]Le Trou[/i] in my class, as well as this, but I had to leave for [i]Le Trou[/i] because there was a test after it, and I didn?t know about it and hadn?t studied. So I missed it, and it was the film I was most excited about seeing on the big screen, behind [i]Double Indemnity[/i], which is next week! So excited about that. Anyway, [i]Grisbi[/i] was really great, about a couple of, well, not gangsters, but sort of like that. And some trouble they get into over a girl and some money.

Little Caesar ? The old gangers films (this, [i]The Public Enemy[/i] etc.) are so much better than any of the [i]Godfathers[/i] or any modern gangster pictures. They really just don?t make ?em like they use to. [i]Little Caesar[/i] stars Edward G. Robinson is one of the best performances ever. He is really spectacular as Rico, and up and coming gangster, so full of himself that it becomes his ultimate demise.