Touchez Pas au Grisbi (Hands Off the Loot) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Touchez Pas au Grisbi (Hands Off the Loot) Reviews

sanjurosamurai
April 27, 2009
an excellent crime story. gabin plays a solid lead and scala is sexy in her limited role in a film that caught me by suprise. only loosely a heist film, it is fairly similar to much of melvilles great work. im glad i bought the film because i know i will rewatch it many times.
April 10, 2008
There are more worries in the life of a gangster besides money. There's love, loyalty, friendship, and the most implacable killer of all: time itself, the way it undermines and vanishes every human being no matter how strong or resolute he/she used to be.
Jean Gabin plays the elegant and charismatic Max, an aging criminal mentor who finds his way to retirement full of bumps.
After pulling out the heist that Max thought would end up his occupation for good, Max's best friend Riton tells his girlfriend (a very young Jeanne Moreau) about their last job. Unfortunately, this leak of information given by the incompetent Riton leads to his kidnapping by Max's competitor Angelo (Lino Ventura) who will demand their last job's loot for ransom. It will all be decided in a tense and masterfully shot gun battle.
An engrossing masterpiece with phenomenal direction, acting and cinematography.
rubystevens
½ January 6, 2008
this is just an outstanding piece of crime drama and paved the way for many great french gangster films to come, including dassin's rififi and melville's bob le flambeur. jean gabin, making a terrific comeback, is deadly cool as the weary max, out to save his friend and his loot from rival lino ventura, in his first film role. an unknown and almost unrecognizable jeanne moreau plays the woman who comes between them. with a fantastic running gun battle as the finale! i adored this more than any of melville's gangster films except perhaps le doulos. this was my first taste of jacques becker and i want more!
Harlequin68
½ August 16, 2005
[font=Century Gothic]"Touchez Pas Au Grisbi" is unlike most other heist films in that it concerns itself solely with the aftermath of a heist and not with the actual crime. Max(Jean Gabin) is a suave, aging criminal who is tiring of the nightlife. He trusts noone except for his partner and is weary of everbody. Everything changes when he is followed home from a night club...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Touchez Pas Au Grisbi" gets off to a slow start but is eventually worthwhile, mostly due to Jean Gabin's pitch perfect performance and Jacques Becker's keen direction. The movie's material which includes drug use and plenty of innuendo(not to mention some very interesting paintings) is more mature than I originally expected for a movie made in 1953. That having been said, the movie focuses mainly on the men with the women being treated as windrow dressing or worse.[/font]
½ June 14, 2010
Very procedural. I feel like this must have had a fair amount of influence on later Melville. But where the procedure humanizes characters here, it usually has the opposite effect in Melville.
October 5, 2013
A good plot, but the film felt somewhat dated. One of the cornerstones of the modern gangster genre.
March 6, 2013
Great little French film noir that I happened to catch via TCM, well worth a look if you're a fan of the genre. A career criminal wants to pull that one last score, and we all know how those work out, now don't we?

Great stuff, and it's made me a fan of Jean Gabin for life.

Recommended.
January 25, 2013
Touchez Pas au Grisbi (1954)
Losely translated this means Don't Touch the Loot.

I'm kind of new to the whole French Film Noir era of the 1950's, but seeing this movie really made me a believer. This film is my all-time favorite one, and I highly recommend it. I definitely want to see more of Jacques Becker's films.

The film begins with Max (Jean Gabin) at a restaurant hangout, Chez Bouche, with his partner, Henri Ducros dit Riton (René Dary) and some young showgirls, Josy (Jeanne Moreau) and Lola (Dora Doll). Both men are aging criminals, realizing that they are getting too old for this. Max tells Riton that he's being a fool for Josy; nightclubbing at his age; that he should kick her to the curb and if he were younger he would have simply waited and collected her money when she got home. Instead, Riton tells her that he and Max are sitting on 50 million francs in gold bars from a previous heist.

Naturally, Josy tells another crook Angelo Fraiser (Lino Ventura) about those bars. So Angelo kidnaps Riton to get the bars from Max. Although Max knows that Riton brought this on himself, he doesn't think twice about picking up the bars and releasing his buddy. Not only that, but his friends seem to drop everything to help him too. That shoots that honor amount thieves.
December 17, 2011
The Melville, 'Bob Le Flambeur' comparison are valid but they're very different films. The movie is interested in subtle dialogue and body language. Becker does an interesting thing and starts the movie some time after the bank robbery has taken place. Jean Gabin is magnificent! Throughout the movie you can see him silently trying plan a few steps ahead of everyone. The film also contains a great score, that harmonica tune sticks with you.
January 19, 2010
½ January 9, 2010
January 2010 - A lovely noir and one of the best examples of the French approach to the genera. This is also incredible because of the acting of Lino Ventura and obviously Jean Gabin.
½ December 13, 2009
another of the many french gangster/heist films from the mid 1950's. 'grisbi' is similar to 'riffifi' in plot, but differentiates itself in focus. 'riffifi' is mostly about the planning and execution of the heist, with the third act showing how the plot quickly unravels. 'grisbi' doesn't show the heist at all - it took place before the film even begins, so the entire film is the gradual, slow undoing of the perfect crime. 'bob le flambeur' covers similar territory with it's own clever spin on the same central premise. the key moral, applicable to all three films: don't tell your girlfriend about the heist!
½ September 21, 2008
a highly entertaining and bold thriller from jacques becker starring jean gabin. a very straight forward, no frills preformance from gabin. the film's characters have a subtle depth; which is really what makes it all so great. it seems that this film is a precursor to the melancholic style of crime dramas that melville would later use. great stuff.
½ October 21, 2005
Jackie Brown ? Now I?ve finally seen all of Tarantino?s films. It?s a really fun film, and I loved the character of Jackie Brown. She was just fun, so was Sam Jackson and Robert DeNiro.

Castle in the Sky ? Another great film from Miyazaki. That guy can do no wrong. There are so many more of his films I need to see, and I just can?t wait to get my hands on them.

Touchez pas au grisbi ? I?m so bummed, because we watched [i]Le Trou[/i] in my class, as well as this, but I had to leave for [i]Le Trou[/i] because there was a test after it, and I didn?t know about it and hadn?t studied. So I missed it, and it was the film I was most excited about seeing on the big screen, behind [i]Double Indemnity[/i], which is next week! So excited about that. Anyway, [i]Grisbi[/i] was really great, about a couple of, well, not gangsters, but sort of like that. And some trouble they get into over a girl and some money.

Little Caesar ? The old gangers films (this, [i]The Public Enemy[/i] etc.) are so much better than any of the [i]Godfathers[/i] or any modern gangster pictures. They really just don?t make ?em like they use to. [i]Little Caesar[/i] stars Edward G. Robinson is one of the best performances ever. He is really spectacular as Rico, and up and coming gangster, so full of himself that it becomes his ultimate demise.
October 15, 2005
Jacques Becker does an excellent job of making [i]Touchez pas au grisbi [/i]feel unique. One of the greatest French gangster films, [i]Grisbi[/i] portrays an episode of a gangsters life, Max, who, along with a friend, Riton, steal 50,000,000. Soon, others find out, and attempt to steal the money from Max. What ensues is an extremely thrilling, standing on-the-tip-your-toes crime film. The musical score, mainly performed by a harmonica, is excellent, and fits the mood and atmosphere of the film perfectly. My only complaint is some of the pacing issues; sure, many of the scenes were absolutely incredible, but others, I felt, could have been worked on a little bit more. I highly recommend this film, you may notice some of the influences that it had on other gangster films.

Final Rating: 96/100
DCC
½ April 7, 2005
I'm planning to get caught enough where I can actually write good reviews the day after I watch a film. I'm just going to rate this batch of films and not write reviews at the moment.

[center][size=2][color=black][i][b] Walkabout (Roeg 71) 7.5/10
Manhattan (Allen 79) 9.0/10
Touchez Pas au Grisbi (Becker 54) 9.0/10
A Man Escaped (Bresson 56) 9.0/10
Tokyo Drifter (Suzuki 66) 8.5/10[/b][/i][/color][/size][size=2][color=black]
[/color][/size]
[/center]
½ March 8, 2015
Gabin is tough as nails in this French gangster-noir classic.