Groundhog Day Reviews

March 27, 2015
Bill Murray delivers comic perfection, but it's the tightrope between pathos and existentialism that the screenplay manages to walk that is most engaging about this classic.
½ January 23, 2014
I've finally seen it. The incredible amount of references I've heard to this movie for decades after its release testify to its delightful originality and earn it obvious classic status.
May 14, 2007
A fun comedy about a man caught on a time loop in his most hated day of the year: Groundhog Day. It's not laugh out loud funny, but more of being impressed with the shenanigans he does while he's reliving his day. Can you guess how long he was stuck in this time loop?
April 24, 2007
I watched again today (on Feb. 2nd of course) just to refresh my memory of this film. The premise of the movie is unique - at least I have not run across it in another movie, but on viewing it again in 2013, I found the Feb. 2nds were going on for too long - and the inevitable end could not come soon enough for me. I reduced my rating by 1/2 a star from what I had rated it 10 years ago.
January 28, 2012
A dazzling, sweet and ofter remarkable comedy. Groundhog Day presents a criative screenplay, with a good direction and great actings; what makes a lovely movie that still make all laugh and cheer. One of the rares romantic comedys that enjoy me. Fresh.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
July 30, 2007
"I'll give you a winter prediction: It's gonna be cold, it's gonna be grey, and it's gonna last you for the rest of your life."

A weatherman finds himself living the same day over and over again.

REVIEW
Smug, snide, cynical and dripping with more than an ounce of well-trained insincerity, Pittsburgh local Weatherman Phil Connors (Bill Murray, whose performance here seems to be his usual, languid, wise-ass self, but upon further review, is arguably one of his most slyly executed performance of his career) is not looking forward to covering Groundhog Day in nearby Punxsutawney. He isn't too thrilled with who he's being dispatched to cover it with: a bright new producer (Andie MacDowell) and an unassuming but equally wise-ass cameraman he's worked with before (Chris Elliott). Come the actual event, Phil goes through the motions, then is crestfallen to find out he'll be stuck in Punxsutawney through the day (he was set to leave town that afternoon) and have to spend one more night at a quaint bed-and breakfast where he doesn't fit in. That would soon prove to be the least of his problems, as he begins to relive the same February 2nd ad infinitum.

Murray's performance here is really worth more than a cursory glance: in having to relive the same day over and over again, his Phil is left open to relive it in both generous and selfish ways. As he continually re-crafts the same routines (and tries, in increasingly more grim fashions to escape it), he begins to learn about things and people he absolutely never would, not the least of which his attraction and affinity for his producer. Director Harold Ramis with Second City and Ghostbusters cohort Bill Murray is able to craft a film that, while it seems to be unable to find a way to wrap itself up (and is probably my biggest gripe of this film), is still both cuttingly funny, poignant and somewhat philosophical in its mien.
½ May 22, 2012
Comedy done very, very right.
CloudStrife84
May 24, 2007
Picture this: You're stuck in a time loop, waking up every morning at 6 a.m to Sonny & Cher's "I Got You Babe"; forced to re-live the same day in a seemingly endless cycle, with no one in the world to believe what you're going through. Well, that's precisely what happens to TV meteorologist Phil Connors (Bill Murray), who by some unseen magic enters a bizarre metaphysical situation, which ultimately leads him to discovering his true potential as a human being. This may sound like a fantasy film, but it's also profoundly heartwarming romantic comedy, where Murray shines like never before, in a virtuoso performance that really cements his comical genius. Yet, it isn't his film alone. Wonderful supporting actors like Andie McDowell, Chris Elliott and Stephen Tobolowsky, add their talent to the pot, making every little scene a total delight. To say that director Harold Ramis struck gold with this movie, would be the understatement of the century. The philosophy, humor and high concept storyline, is all flawlessly merged in a heavenly medley that you can't help but love and be inspired by. If you get this on Blu-ray or DVD, there are some really fun interviews with Harold Ramis, where he fondly talks of the great impact his movie has made, among various spiritual and religious groups, all across the world. Everyone seems to take away something really meaningful from this film, whether it be in the attitude towards other people, or something beyond our physical reality. Either way, it shares with us some truly valuable lessons, which is what makes it so much more than a piece of stellar entertainment. In my eyes, this is the ultimate marriage between romance, comedy and lighthearted existensialism. A hilariously funny masterpiece, of which quality and worth I think we'll never see again. Because after nearly two decades since its making, "Groundhog Day" still holds the crown for the greatest comedy I've ever seen!
April 23, 2007
24/08/2011 (DVD)

Weird but good! I didn't really care for this flick even though I've known about the film since I was a kid but never e=really paid attention to it, but I always would here about 'Groundhog day' and so I decided I wanted to know what is this 'Groundhog day?'... And wow, I did not expect to enjoy it that much!

It's an unusual fantasy until you contemplate and measure the pleasure with the dissatisfaction, I mean it sounds all rather cool until you think about the result that are never met, and that's when it is no longer a fantasy... but a nightmare. Laugh now, cry later.

It's a a strange one with romance, comedy and a twist(s) of fate(s)! Not bad at all!
Directors Cat
½ November 10, 2011
Groundhog Day is both Bill Murray and Harold Ramis' best film. When the two joined for the first time in Caddyshack they made a hilarious but very silly comedy and the same applies to Ghostbusters. What they have geniusly made here is a smart, witty and sometimes silly comedy, sci-fi, action, drama. Its everything they have done together in one ultimately entertaining movie. Groundhog Day never ever loses its charm neither does it lose its ability to make us laugh out loud.
½ December 30, 2011
Groundhog Day is awesome. An apparently modest cookie cutter comedy, it has gained fans and critical acclaim over the 20 ensuing years. It is now one of the most beloved and timeless comedies in American film history It has attained its classic status for two reasons: Its script is both hilarious and meaningful, a rare paring of qualities. That, and Bill Murray's quintessential misanthropic shtick, in his best ever film performance, despite more serious films that he made later (i.e. Lost in Translation).

Bitter weatherman Phil is stuck doing the Groundhog day report from Punxatawney, Penn. He wakes up and for some unknown reason is forced to repeat the same day countless times, probably over many decades (precisely how many days he repeats is a matter of debate with fans), until her can move on to the next day. He masters many skills, piano playing, auto mechanics, etc. out of pure boredom. Murray goes from total hedonism, to multiple suicides, to opportunism, to altruism. He cannot advance to the next day, nor get Andie McDowell, (his producer, not a very interesting character but lovable and beautiful nonetheless, like most of her characters), until he really learns what he is meant to do on earth as a human being.

The film has 100% cliched characters, but it needs them to make its points. Rubin and Ramis' script use those cliches to explore the most deep and fundamental quest for meaning: Why are we humans here? How can we achieve happiness? Will things ever change?

I took a course with the Kabbalah Center, (it was only a one off experience, but an interesting one) The rabbis there conveyed the fundamental idea, that we are all forced to repeat our lives every day, and in each subsequent reincarnation until we learn our lesson and our true life's purpose, and then we earn the right to move on. This feels true to me, whether or not you subscribe to spiritualism and actual reincarnation.

Groundhog Day is good for multiple viewings, there are new things to notice in each time you see it. It's a very special film and I love it.
TheDudeLebowski65
November 28, 2011
Harold Ramis' Groundhog Day is a great comedy film that is has plenty of good laughs. Bill Murray gives a great performance here. Groundhog Day is a hilarious film about a guy who is selfish, self centered and who after a snowstorm relieves his day over and over again. Groundhog Day is a brilliant comedy from director Harold Ramis, and this proves that Ramis and Murray when they get together they create some good comedies, and is always something memorable to watch. Groundhog Day is yet another one of those films. This is simply put a fun, silly comedy with a great cast and the gags are original and actually make you laugh. That is what I enjoy about Harold Ramis comedies, the fact that he is able to craft a comedy with actual good gags. The jokes in his films are effortless in delivery and they are memorable because they actually are funny. Unlike many comedies of today. The cast do a great job and Harold Ramis directs with flair a great comedy that is fun from start to finish and is very memorable. Groundhog Day is one of those films that you simply can't forget, and with Bill Murray's comedic delivery, how can you forget such a film? I very much enjoyed this film and thought it was one of Bill Murray's best films since the first Ghostbusters and Caddyshack. This is one film that will keep you laughing till the very end. A must see comedy and is a definite classic. A well conceived plot keep you engaged from start to finish and it also reminds that comedies can make you laugh with smart jokes instead of mind melting crude jokes of today's comedies. An enjoyable and memorable film.
½ November 20, 2011
The theme and feeling of Harold Ramis' last masterpiece resembles the films of of one of my favorite directors, Frank Capra, updated for the 1990's and containing one of Bill Murray's best performances.
August 22, 2011
Such a warm hearted film that teaches you that there's more to life than your job. The cast was good (with the exception of a few bad Rita scenes). The story was mostly unpredictable and kept twisting and turning. Good script, I especially like how they didn't start every new day at the beginning; that would have been boring. The only serious problem is that it's never revealed how/who made this happen. I understand it's to show Phil how to be a better person. Over all very good and makes me want winter to come.
murphmann93
June 24, 2011
Bit boring after a while...
½ September 6, 2010
I love this movie, it's one of Murray's best roles. How crazy is it that he has to live that one day over and over for years? That's just amazing, as is this movie, it's funny and romantic and dramatic, and just really cool. I highly recommend it.
michael e.
July 19, 2010
today I figured, why not write about one of my absolute favorite movies "Groundhog Day." As I said this is by far one of my favorite movie of all time, Bill Murray is by far one of my favorite actors of all time, and it really shows how talented he is in this movie, Also the supporting cast are almost just as good as him in this movie, Annie Macdowell, Brian Doyle Murray (Bills brother), Chris Elliott, Stephen Tobolowsky, and everyone else. It is played out greatly, and the plot is probably one of the most creative things ever written for a film.
DreamExtractor
April 3, 2011
This film shows the great idea of repeating the same day over and over, and turns it to a realistic version of what would really happened. Bill Murray is perfect, funny, emotional, and sneaky. The plot is so well made and good it deserved an Oscar. Anyone who hasnt seen this, you need to.
July 30, 2010
For as much as this film is tossed around as an example of one of the funniest romantic comedies ever made, it still doesn't get the acclaim it deserves. Bill Murray is a riot and the film features as many or more laughs than you'll find in even the funniest of films, but beyond that the film has meaning and emotion. Not the fake emotion of most comedies, but it truly tells an emotional, yet absurdly hilarious story. It's rare for me or anyone to say this about a comedy, but this is an example of damn fine filmmaking.
TheGame90
March 1, 2010
Good movie....funny, romantic and dramatic. Kind of makes you wanna seize the day.....but then you don't...so why the hell did I watch it in the first place? It gave nothing.....good movie though