Grown Ups 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Grown Ups 2 Reviews

½ July 9, 2013
Grown Ups 2 is a horrible piece of garbage that baffles me because why would they make a sequel to a really bad film. Adam Sandler was pretty funny back when he made Happy Gilmore, Big Daddy and The Wedding Singer, but nowadays, he just makes bad films that have no merit. Grown Ups 2 is such a film, one that doesn't have any good laughs going for it. It surprises me that Adam Sandler still has a career. Every film he makes is unfunny, pointless and a complete waste of time. Really, who wanted a sequel to Grown Ups? The first one was bad, and had no redeeming qualities. This sequel is just as awful. With Grown Ups 2, Adam Sandler just shows how much of a train wreck he has become. When Jack and Jill came out, and it showed us how incredibly awful he had become, I expected him to fall off the map. Well, unfortunately that wasn't to because, this lame comedian still find work. I liked a few of his films, but now, he just doesn't have that spark that made him amusing in such films like Happy Gilmore. Grown Ups 2, is yet again a collection of washed up comedians, who try way too hard at making you laugh with bad jokes and awful acting. This is an awful train wreck of a movie, and Grown Ups 2 joins the list of unnecessary sequels, but this one just stands out because, the original film was awful, and this sequel is just as bad as the original. Don't expect anything from this film because the writing, acting, and direction are just bad. Adam Sandler just recycles his same old routine, and it's just tiresome and painful to watch.
½ October 30, 2013
Really? a sequel? by now I'm sure we all know what happened and how this film somehow managed to sail high in the charts beating 'Pacific Rim'. Obviously Mr Sandler has a strong core fanbase that will endure anything he throws at them, and boy does he throw some stuff!.

The plot is errr...geez I dunno really, there isn't a plot, this film is virtually one skit after another much like SNL. We are still following Sandler's character and his hectic family life, alongside him we are also still following the lives of his best friends too...and that's it. The only thing is there isn't really any point to what happens throughout, its just one set up for a silly childish joke, then on to the next silly childish set up.

I guess this wouldn't be too bad if the jokes were funny, you look at classic spoof films like 'Naked Gun' or 'Airplane' and they are merely a collection of visual gag set ups. This film is the same accept the gags are tired, unoriginal and infantile, basically your standard toilet and sexual functions humour.

Believe it or not but I actually found this sequel slightly enjoyable in places and better than the first, yep that's right. The main reason for this was the quite horrendously cringe worthy performance by Taylor Lautner and his snobby frat pack which was pure parody excellence. The other reason was the party finale where everybody dresses up in fancy dress, yet they all looked really good haha. Seriously they just looked really good, especially the guy as Tom Cruise from 'Risky Business'. Plus I must also give kudos for the big punch up in the finale which is completely farcical but a definite guilty pleasure in terms of sheer lunacy.

I guess it gives you what you pay for, its not like anyone won't know what they're getting themselves into when they go to see this. You see an Adam Sandler film for certain reasons and this film delivers those reasons. So on one level it does its job, the problem is, it is pure pointless garbage in all honesty. The fart and belch gags with James were the worst thing in this film, I mean really Kevin...I thought you were a better comedian than that.
October 22, 2013
two stars
½ August 30, 2013
Very funny movie, I particularly enjoyed the 80s party scene. But the biggest problem I had was the same I had with the first: Kevin James. Sandler, Spade and Rock were on SNL and I've followed their careers before and since, so the three of them together makes sense. But where does James come from? Why didn't they have another SNL member as their fourth guy? I would have liked to see one of the SNL guys they had as smaller characters in his place because he's just not funny. There were a couple of jokes that went a little too long, but otherwise, I really enjoyed this movie.
August 24, 2013
I must confess that the Adam Sandler movies are my guilty pleasure. I know that the aren't the best movies in this planet and that all of them are kinda repetitive but they make me laugh like a maniac every time I watch them and Grown Ups 2 is no exception. The stroy has nothing new, the performances are barely decent, but this movie has something that I don't know how to explain it that you will leave the movie theater with a smile.
P.S. Shaquille O'Neal is a lousy actor but he really knows how to make people laugh.
½ August 21, 2013
Sandler is back in the sandbox. As are his playfellows from the original (save for one Rob Schneider) on top of a myriad of familiar faces of variable celebrity status. Steve Buscemi, Salma Hayek, comedy music group The Lonely Island (to mention a few). Moreover, to cover the teen demographic: Twilight-star Taylor Lautner. And nope, he can't act in this movie either.

Again you get the impression that the pleasure is largely the the ensemble's. Another easy paycheck. Another opportunity to regress to early childhood with the best buds. But what about the rest of us? We who came to be entertained and for something resembling a story?

That the latter can fit on a thumbnail, I can live with. Something about parenthood, generation encounters and dealing with demons of the past. All in accordance with the regular Sandler template, which in reality is just filler between the true motif of the film: farts, burps and Family Guy-esque slapstick. Aimless and without any higher ambition.

A dumb film doesn't necessarily have to be a bad film though. Just look at the Jackass trilogy, a spiritual relative in the context. Not for all tastes perhaps, but there were at least laughs to collect and a creativity in the stupidity. So even here, although calling Grown Ups 2 creative is like sprinkling glitter in the toilet bowl.

Maybe it's because I got carried away by the young, infectiously guffawing audience. Or possibly was it the 80's nostalgia and all the semi-amusing celebrity references. But this wasn't quite as insufferable as I had first imagined.

Neither the best nor worst I've seen by Sandler and the gang, and if you're into the special brand of humor, I'm sure you'll get something gratifying out of this one as well. And vice versa.
½ July 30, 2013

The first "Grown Ups" is basically Adam Sandler and his buddies clowning around at a cabin. Here, it's basically him and his buddies, clowning around in a small town. Only this time they all have small problems in their lives and this piss off a fraternity lead by Taylor Lautner(who is hilarious here) and have to contend with them. Kind of the old guys against young guys. This movie doesn't reinvent the wheel, just takes what worked in "Grown Ups" and gives more of it. I think it's about the same in terms of laughs, and it is entertaining just because you can tell these guys are having a blast making this. The cast is all funny, especially cameos by Dan Patrick and Shaq. Actually, they're not all funny, I thought Nick Swardson was bad in this. I used to think he was awesome, but lately, I dunno what it is, but he is just more annoying to me than anything. You either like Adam Sandler movies, or you don't(I think he's awesome!). He's made some bad movies lately("Jack and Jill" was horrible), but this isthe type of movie he does best. If you don't like him, then you'll hate it. If you do, you'll enjoy it for what it is, but it probably won't be anywhere near your favorite.
July 25, 2013
Its saving grace is an unabashedly insane final fight scene, but it's a saving grace in the form of a bullet to the head rescuing a frustrated, miserable soul from a life of wilted dreams and blistered realities.
July 24, 2013
It sucks, but I applaud Sandler and co. for having the guts to make a movie with no plot whatsoever.
February 23, 2013
Summer isn't just for kids.

Good movie! Adam Sandler, Chris Rock, David Spade, and Kevin James reprise there roles and all shine, not hogging the spot light. But Rob Schneider does not appear here, so Nick Swardson fills that void, but playing a different character. The kids playing the main characters kids are great, so are the wives, Selma Hayek, Maria Bello, and Maya Rudolph. Shaq O'Neal is having a blast here, so is Taylor Lautner. The first one feels like it was making itself up has it was going on, this feels no different, but at least the filmmakers this time make a somewhat attempt to be entertaining instead of being bland. Not a great comedy, but an amusing one.

After having the greatest time of his life three summers ago, Lenny (Adam Sandler), decides he wants to move his family back to his hometown and have them grow up with his gang of childhood friends and their kids. But between old bullies, new bullies, schizophrenic bus drivers, drunk cops on skis, psycho grade school girlfriends and 400 costumed party crashes he finds out that sometimes crazy follows you.
Bathsheba Monk
July 15, 2013
Guess I'm officially grown-up now. Enough, Adam Sandler!
July 12, 2013
Okay, don't get me wrong, this film has it's moments, but it is clouded by horrible jokes, a terrible script, care-free direction, and a cast who just wants to please themselves. "Grown Ups 2" follows the group of friends once again after they have moved back to their hometown to live, becoming closer and closer with old rivals and gaining new enemies. As the nonsense ensues, these friends relive things from their childhood as they run into college frat boys who embarrass them to no end. Taylor Lautner plays the main frat guy, and can I say he's one of the funniest parts of the film? I have to say yes... There is not much to say about this film. It's lazy, unfunny, with a few nice touching moments thrown in. There are a few moments that had me laughing but not much more than that. It's exactly what I expected, just another dumb Happy Madison entry that has it's moments.
July 11, 2013
Crude, excessive and overly insignificant. Grown-Ups 2 attempts to provide laughs and humor every second of the film but will only give you half (or even less) than what you anticipate. The chemistry is still there from the first film (this time no Schneider) and the overall star-power is monstrous. Overall, the film will be an entertaining summer picture for those who follow/admire the star cast, but is ultimately a fair-to-poor attempt at a consistent story/plot and presentation. 3/5
September 7, 2013
Got a few laughs out of me, entertaining, but average.
½ July 11, 2013
Grown Ups 2 is a god awful experience and further demonstrates that with enough work and determination a sequel can truly be worse than its awful predecessor. I knew this film was going to be bad; itâ(TM)s just natural nowadays with Adam Sandler and his group of washed up comedians to create crap, but man this movie reaches new levels of dumb. This film has no self-respect for itself and it just tries to provide many isolated jokes that don't make anyone laugh and make us hear the sound of our money going down the drain. They trying pulling the same formula that the first film pulled, which didn't work in the first place, but now this sequel manages to have even less of a story than the first one. Dennis Dugan has proven himself to be one of the single worst directors of our time, along with those such as Ed Wood and Uwe Boll. He never finds himself in any situation where he can find a laugh or even manage to create a decent film. I will admit that "Happy Gilmore" was an enjoyable film and Sandler's best work to date, but both Dugan and Sandler have just gone downhill from that and I have given up all hope for them. I have wondered what gave them the idea to make a sequel to a bad film, but was reminded that all Hollywood cared about is money. There was a time where I enjoyed Sandler, his work was funny, stupid and harmless, but now his comedies are giving are leaving good humor in the back and now the public is growing accustomed to this ridiculous and idiotic humor. I wish films like "This is the End" could be the only type of comedies that are released in Hollywood, but sadly Sandler and Dugan will most likely succeed again in creating an awful film that will steal everyoneâ(TM)s money. I sat through this film and just gained a headache from this brainless and stupid experience, which is the only kind of film Sandler can make anymore and he is taking his friends down with him. I think itâ(TM)s safe to say that Dugan and Sandler have hit rock bottom, and returning from that is very unlikely. I recommend that you steer clear of this mess and just stay home and watch paint dry instead.

The story follows the four friends from the first Grown Ups who get into all sorts of trouble all in the course of one day where they have to learn a few lessons from their kids.

The plot of the film is so damn infuriating that I refuse to even think about it, mainly because there is no plot to begin with. This film is a series of isolated unfunny jokes that appear one after another, that never feed into anything that could be considered a story. This is the same issue the first film dealt with, but at least they got rid of Rob Schneiderâ(TM)s character which only got rid of about 5% of the stupidity. I didn't think this film could get worse than the first, I truly didn't, but somehow this film just kept becoming horrible the more I watched. I don't see how they can actually call themselves comedians when they make crap like this, with boring character and no storyline which makes us really question why did they ever need to make a sequel to bad film? It may have been about money, but I really want this film to just fail so that these actors can learn to take a clue. This is the kind of film that 9 year olds will love because itâ(TM)s stupid and pointless enough for them to understand, but the adults in the audience will want a refund in the first 15 minutes or so. This is the kind of film that is so bad it will make some people question the reason to still live, which is the best way I can explain how truly terrible this film is. I never cared about what was happening, I only chuckled about twice in this film due to my love for Steve Buscemi and Andy Samberg, but the rest of the actors have lost my respect and I cannot see them getting back on their feet. I just couldn't believe anyone could actually enjoy this film, and it makes me question how they actually made a script for a film that does absolutely nothing for 100 minutes. I could've stayed at home and watched a home shopping network channel and it would've had a better storyline than this film. It physically gave me a headache to watch this film, and that somehow only ever happens when I see an Adam Sandler film. Nick Swardson plays a character in the film that pretty much proves that he is one of the unfunniest people in the world, if Bucky Larson didn't already prove that. He was creepy and actually made me angry to watch, and I can't remember the last time I was actually unintentionally creeped out in a comedy. This film comes to nothing that could be considered a story or real characters, itâ(TM)s just these actors all proving that they need to quit while their behind.

The cast is a group of people that used to be funny about ten years ago, but now they are just a bunch of washouts that only make crap like this, get their paycheck and make go on to make another terrible movie. Adam Sandler has been funny a long time ago; in fact he has also proven he is a good actor with some actual depth and heart. But apparently he got greedy and started serving up brilliantly god awful movies that only manage to get some laughs from people who have no true sense of what comedy truly is. I can handle a little stupid, but Sandler actually takes the word and creates films with it. I hated watching him in this film, but like every other actor. Kevin James has had some hit and misses these past few years, but I believe who only keeps doing these awful films because of his loyalty to Sandler and his friends which will only take him down more in the end. There is a scene where they make him do a fart and a burp at the same time as a joke and I wondered what is becoming of this actor and this country. I just can't believe he thinks he is funny in this film. Chris Rock is just himself as usual, but what was really weird was that he barely said anything in this film. He had a few lines but they hardly give him anything to do in this film. Itâ(TM)s probably for the best, at least now he can bounce back from this crap and give us something worse existing. David Spade is a funny guy, but this film would have you think otherwise. He has some lazy bullcrap story about him and his long lost older son and it really just served no purpose whatsoever. It really makes me sad that these four actors have come so low, but I guess the time of laughter has passed and the time for stealing peopleâ(TM)s money with awful cinema has come. The actresses in the film like Salma Hayek and Maya Rudolph are not worth mentioning, itâ(TM)s just not worth my time. Some of the supporting cast like Nick Swardson and Tim Meadows is just awful, while Taylor Lautner embracing his stupid side was a nice change of pace for the actor. Shaquille O'Neal is in the film and I don't know why, just for some unfunny screen time I guess. Andy Samberg and Steve Buscemi have some decent moments in the film, but their skills shouldn't be wasted on trash like this. Overall this entire cast was one of the many reasons this film fails to provide laughs or a purpose to exist, itâ(TM)s sad to see such funny people sink so low.

Grown Ups 2 aims to be as stupid and unfunny as possible and it succeeds, and it continues the running tradition that Sandler only wishes to get a paycheck and make us dislike him. They spend so much time in this film providing laughs that elementary schoolers will enjoy, but if they had spent that much time actually thinks of a story, even a stupid one, this film could've been slightly better. I am the kind of person that gives pity to some comedies if their story is done before but they manage to provide some good laughs, but these film only wishes to make us angry and wonder what the point of it all was. If you have seen a Sandler and Dugan collaboration before than you have seen this film, and I can certainly guarantee you that that you will have a more enjoyable time staying at your home bashing you head into a wall. I will never speak of this film to anyone, and if somebody asks me if it was good or bad I will tell them that I will refuse to speak of this film. It has shaken my belief in good comedies and I will have to watch "This is the End" or "The Heat" again to remind me that there are actually people out there who can make me laugh. No scene in this film has any significance for the rest of the film and it all just feels like a series of unfunny jokes after another that form a movie. I don't consider a deer pissing on Adam Sandler to be considered comedy, just a really juvenile way to attempt humor. The tone in this film seems to try and mix child humor and adult humor which ended up being another thing that really made me mad. There is much childlike humor in the film that only kids will love, and then there is a lot of adult humor that will make parents question why they took their kids to this film. I question why anyone would want to see this film in the first place, they possibly believe that Sandler & friends still has some potential left in them but I don't. There is a certain way to handle a comedy and sequels, and even without Rob Schneider this film ended up being worse than the first one. Take your money and go see "Pacific Rim" this weekend instead, you will be glad you did. So overall I think you understand that I hated this movie with every bit of life in me, and I really just keep wishing that I can forget seeing this mess which continues to amaze me on how it could be so bad.
September 28, 2013
This film is again one of those silly movies that critics love to hate. A light summer movie about the last day of school. Leave your brain at the door and enjoy the slapstick humour. The most memorable part for me was when Taylor Lautner showed up on the screen and the girls in the audience gasped! Then groaned when he turned out to be THE fratpack brat leader. Sorry, but that was hilarious for me! Better script, next time, Adam! Please!?
½ August 6, 2013
There are some sequels that I wish I would love to see Adam Sandler do, like Big Daddy, Happy Gilmore, Wedding Singer, You Don't Mess With the Zohan, but Grown Ups isn't one of them. I didn't like the first film and I really didn't like this one. Sandler needs to do better than this. Rob Scheneider did the wise move by not being in it.
½ July 16, 2013
Live from New York, it's the most sad and unfortunate assemblage of SNL talent since Chris Farley's funeral. Crammed with gratuitous late night cameos, this gathering of Thrown Ups plays out like The Expendables if it had been produced by Lorne Michaels.You know all of those one-note tinhorn sitcoms that the networks banished to family-friendly cable? Well, they've resurfaced in this painfully unfunny star-studded for the canned laughter, that is. In fact, there's no laughter of any kind to be found here. Zilch. Nada. Zip.

In this PG-13-rated comedy, Lenny (Sandler) relocates his family back to the small town where he and his friends (James, Chris Rock, David Spade) grew up, only now their kids are the ones teaching the lessons.

Adam Sandler has aimed low before (I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, Jack and Jill...actually, we'd have to include most of his CV), but this 7th Circle of Hell is just plain embarrassing. You almost feel like he's testing moviegoers on quality control like lab rats--just how bad can a Sandler flick be before audiences turn away? Though it's supposedly more of a family flick, Grown Ups 2 leaves the meter running on bathroom humor and never lets slip a shred of intelligence or ingenuity.

Bottom line: Daddy Nay Care.
January 30, 2013
With zero laughs and more bewilderment than anything, "Grown Ups 2" squanders the first film's good fortune and makes it absolutely dreadful. Adam Sandler brings back the group of friends from the first film, including Chris Rock, David Spade, and Kevin James, as Sandler's character Lenny has moved his family back to his hometown. It's this setting that brings Shaq, Stone Cold Steve Austin, and Taylor Lautner into one of the most unfunny films of the year. Facing old bullies from school and new bullies from the college campus near by, the screenplay for this film reads like a mad lib of bad ideas, none of which are executed with any grace or even through-line, leaving this to be one bad joke after another. As none of these comedians are ever very funny, I'm hard pressed to even acknowledge this film as a comedy, with constant dead end story-lines, like Lenny's son playing football and hurting his leg for no apparent reason whatsoever. Perhaps this is a sign that Sandler is completely out of ideas and is way past his prime, or perhaps its a failed attempt and recreating a mediocre first film at best, but what ever it is, I hope it goes away and never comes back.