Gumby: The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gumby: The Movie Reviews

August 14, 2007
I used to love this when I was a kid. Not anymore.
½ July 26, 2008
This feature film retains the look and feel of the kids' claymated television show. It's delightful the games that can be played when animation need not be shackled by the constraints of reality. In an amusing early scene, Pokey gets hit by two other clay characters a little too hard, and the three turn into a big mixed up multicolored ball of clay. It takes special surgery to separate them apart. And that's the endearing quality of Gumby; he and his world isn't an animated representation of something in real life they are the animation. They really are made out of clay. This charmingly awkward antidote to today's super-slick computer animation may test your cuteness tolerance. Although the action is slow by contemporary wham-bam standards, the drama eventually picks up as the kooky plot complications pile up.
½ August 18, 2015
Decent, but nowhere near as good as the TV show from the 1950's and 1960's or even the reboot TV series from the 1980's.
February 17, 2014
taught me everything i know today
December 21, 2011
this is a great movie.
½ August 10, 2012
I think to enjoy this movie you have to either be under the age of 10, or really, really high. I'm not too sure about that though, because I can't imagine ever being high enough to enjoy this. What made the cartoon charming was that each episode lasted around eight minutes. This movie is stretched painfully over an hour. There is nothing to be found in this vapid wasteland of childrens entertainment. It loses it's own narrative, somehow involving aliens, and then a robot cloning plot, ending in medieval times...or something, and I think the only lesson to be learned is....the power of rock and roll? It was so boring, the voice acting was wooden and stilted, and the clay animated humans were the creepiest thing I've seen since the child rape-y santa clause movie. If I had to hear Pokey say 'Holy Toledo!' one more time, I was gonna vomit. Please, protect your children from this.
March 2, 2012
By far one of my favorite stop motion animations ever. The action, the comedy, the music, its all good fun for kids and adults!
May 28, 2011
I use to like this when I was little kid. Now, I realize that it tells one of the stupidest stories in history, about a dog that can cry pearls. Really?
½ June 5, 2011
People my age will probably be the last generation to be able to look back at beloved characters from their youth and fondly remember watching Gumby and his clay friends. Gumby was one of the most positive influences on children due to the fact that he could handle any problem, no matter how big or serious, and handle it non-violently by either talking or coming up with a solution that was mutually beneficial to everyone, concluding every episode on a positive note.
Gumby was popular among children in the late 1950's through the 1960's and then hit a bit of a dry note before making a comeback in the mid 1990's and now it as if Gumby has been exiled to cartoon purgatory with other great forgotten characters like Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids. Most children today have probably never even heard of Gumby or if they have, sadly, probably think he's stupid as a result of all the mind-numbing computer animated cartoons on television nowadays (Star Wars: The Clone Wars anyone?). Claymation actually dates back to the early 1900's through the 1920's but was never became that admired by the public until artists like Art Clokey came on the scene and did Gumby, and back then this form was pretty revolutionary in the animation industry, which is another reason why we can't forget Gumby.
Which is why I thought I would review Gumby: The Movie. As an adult, I still watch this movie although the first thing I noticed about the DVD release is that certain scenes were cut I'm sure to help make for a better pace, but remembering the scenes as a kid almost tarnished seeing the DVD for me. The chopped scenes are all in the "Deleted Scenes" section of the DVD, almost as if the people who produced the DVD cut the scenes just so they could have a "Deleted Scenes" section.
Anyway, in this movie, Gumby and his friends are faced with a few dilemmas, all stemming from his rivals, the blockheads, and Gumby and his friends solve them in a series of enjoyable scenes in which they phase in and out of books, change into clay blobs, get on stage and play guitar, or to a more enjoyable extent, parody classic pop-culture movies, one of them being Star Wars. The characters need little introduction or development as they are all pretty clean cut and already easy to understand and the movie has some pretty catchy original musical scores.
Overall, this movie is enjoyable for both adults and children and still proves that a character can still capture your imagination without being constructed from a 3D modeling program.
½ April 1, 2010
A claying-funny animation movie that kids will watch again again. (90% fresh)
December 18, 2008
I liked it, but I prefer the whole version and not the director's cut version.