Gunga Din - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gunga Din Reviews

Mr Awesome
½ August 31, 2011
Cary Grant and company ruin a lot of brown peoples' days, 1800s-style. Loosely based on the poem by Rudyard Kipling, follows three british military officers as they party and fight their way through Indian deserts. When they're not getting drunk and beating up each other, the three army pals are taking on the thugee cult, fist-pummeling dozens upon dozens of angry thugs. Gunga Din is a fun movie, and it was apparently a huge inspiration to Steven Spielberg, as it was a source of major inspiration for "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom".
½ September 5, 2010
This movie was better than I expected, and I loved Cary Grant in the movie, it was the ending that I liked best. The movie has some boring scenes, and the story is a bit silly. I wasn't sure what to rate this movie, you'll have to see it for yourself.
August 12, 2007
Rudyard Kipling's poem is translated to the screen by the pulsatile direction of George Stevens.
The best thing about this classic adventure is the chemistry between the great actors involved in it, they are all charming and funny, a magnificent triumvirate formed by Cary Grant, Douglas Fairbanks Jr. and Victor McLaglen; with special mention to Sam Jaffe as their humble and valiant waterboy Gunga Din.
Along with 'The man who would be king' this is probably the peak of the "colonial" adventure movies, in both are explored always relevant themes like greed, vital quest and the value of friendship.
Sheer and unadulterated joy.
June 28, 2007
Sgt. Archibald Cutter: Now you're all under arrest. You too, and you know why. Her Majesty's very touchy about having her subjects strangled.

Cary Grant stars in this 30s adventure flick based on a poem by Rudyard Kipling. It involves a few British soldiers in India during the 19th century who act more like musketeers.

They mainly want to have a good time together, getting into squabbles, fighting there way out of things. Grant plays the one who seeks treasure, and finds the key to getting it, except for a ruthless cult that gets in the way.

This is just a great movie about having fun. Very old school, but there's no school like the old school.

Sgt. Archibald Cutter: Well if it ain't young toad face. Fancy meeting you here.
Guru: Vile dog! For that insolence you shall grovel before my son. You shall grovel, I say!
Sgt. Archibald Cutter: Look here! I'm a soldier of her Majesty, the Queen. I don't grovel before any 'eathen.
Guru: Tabul, take him to the tower and teach him the error of false pride. Take him away!
January 30, 2011
Poor Gunga Din. He was fighting on the wrong side.
DrStrangeblog
January 18, 2011
Doesn't hold up very well but set the blueprint for the buddy adventure movie that still gets made today. This thing is so testosterone-fueled that watching it with your girlfriend might turn her into a hermaphrodite. The only woman in all of India is Joan Fontaine whose only function is to annoy and emasculate her fiancee Douglas Fairbanks Jr. Meanwhile his "friends" try to trick him into re-enlisting in the regimental army for another 9 years - great guys, huh? But it's all lighthearted stuff, Cary Grant is awesome as usual as the scoundrelly Sergeant Cutter who wants to find a legendary golden temple that happens to be the HQ of a burgeoning Thuggee cult. You know the Thuggees, the Kali-worshipping maniacs from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Spielberg even ripped off the rope bridge scene from this movie! Good action scenes keep this afloat because some of the in-between moments, like the ballroom soiree, bring the movie to screeching halt.
September 6, 2015
Just a well made,well acted funny war fable.....they'd have to cut the s#$t out of the script to remake it today though.
½ December 31, 2011
"Gunga Din" is one of the several epic and heartbreaking films of its time. Featuring a wonderful trio of leading actors, George Steven and Fred Guiol's adaption of Rudyard Kipling's poem hosts both high comedic and adventure qualities.
½ April 20, 2013
Grant, Fairbanks, and McLaglen carve out wonderfully unique personalities for their characters, and their jovial spirit of unbreakable brotherhood is too much fun. Sam Jaffe-- hilariously given fourth-billing-- as the titular Gunga Din is truly endearing, and the final 20 minutes actually got me a bit misty-eyed. This is an unabashed celebration of the military and British patriotism (with a rather antiquated view of race and gender), but "Gunga Din" is, at its heart, a simple human story about bravery and heroism. This is a truly great comedy-adventure, featuring plenty of elements that would later influence the Indiana Jones films, particularly "Temple of Doom." Also, the big battle in the abandoned city is one of the best action sequences ever put on film.
½ November 22, 2011
Considered a classic, but Gunga Din hasn't aged well at all. You can see where the modern action/adventure buddy film evolved from this movie (especially Indiana Jones and The Man Who Would Be King). The racism and cheery imperialism also dates the movie heavily, and everyone is a little too happy having to kill Indians (not native americans).
July 18, 2012
This is a very boring, LAME movie with no plot whatsoever. These three stooges wish they were as funny as Larry, Moe and Curly, but this movie is almost as boring as watching paint dry.
March 20, 2012
Gunga Din serves us laughter, warmth & heartache in a way that many films made today cannot. You're a better film than most Gunga Din.
½ September 18, 2011
I am a miserable seller of things

In 19th century India, three British soldiers, that happen to be best friends, seek to stop an Indian Cult legion and obtain stolen treasures. Working together, they will find love and riches beyond their wildest dreams; however, their lives may be different after this little adventure in ways they never imagined.

"I'll tear the back right off you with a shovel."

George Stevens, director of Giant, Shane, A Place in the Sun, Vivacious Lady, Annie Oakley, Ocean Swells, The Nitwits, and I Remember Mama, delivers Gunga Din. The storyline for this picture is interesting in a classic "summertime blockbuster" fashion. The settings and action sequences are marvelous for the era and the cast delivers solid performances and includes Cary Grant, Joan Fontaine, Victor McLaglen, and Douglas Fairbanks.

"You unplease me greatly and I'm going to ignore the both of you."

I came across this film while flicking through the channels and decided to DVR it based on its marvelous cast and fascinating plot. The movie itself has plenty of flaws and drags out numerous sequences; however, the acting makes up for the films deficiencies. I do recommend seeing this picture if you're a fan of Cary Grant movies.

"You're a victim of superior strategy."

Grade: B-
½ August 31, 2011
½ November 27, 2010
How can you not like the ending to this movie? The poem is terrific. Cary Grant is wonderful as a very childish, gold-obsessed soldier who gets his fellow troops in trouble when he goes off in search of gold with Gunga Din.
½ May 22, 2010
Greatest and one of the first Buddy flicks I ever saw...a bit dated now, but still fantastic for adventure and for being black and white...a modern remake would be good if it was well done?
February 13, 2010
Quite honestly one of my favorite movies of all time. Don't look for anything too deep in terms of plot or character development. This is a swashbuckling style movie to the core. The comic genius of Grant working with the swashbuckling confidence of Fairbanks makes this movie worth watching. The gags and storyline are far fetched, but that is much of the fun of the movie.
½ October 12, 2009
Very exciting classic action adventure film with an awesome cast. Splashes of humor throughout add a great touch. Wonderful and rousing score. Never boring, always exciting. This film has it all - romance, action, adventure, drama, comedy..what more couold you want?
August 11, 2009
Gunga Din (1939)

This pre-war movie, very losely based on Rudyard Kipling's poem about the misadventures of three soldiers, Cutter (Cary Grant), MacChesney (Victor McLaglen), and Ballantine (Douglas Fairbanks Jr.) and an East Indian waterbearer, Gunga Din (Sam Jaffe).

There's lots of fighting and action, and the whole movie itself is played just for fun with the characters mugging it up for the camera. I loved MacChesney talking baby-talk to Annie, the elephant, and Ballantine being talked out of his wedding with his fiancÚ, Emmy (Joan Fontaine) and a civilian life as a tea merchant. And of course, Cutter's obsession with fortune hunting.

Then there's Gunga Din, who wants to be a soldier, but is also so good-hearted to everyone that he pours water for the dying enemy. All of these characters are thrown into the dangers trying to stop a Thuggee revolt in 19th century India.