91% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

44% Working the Engels: Season 1

Gunless Reviews

Al S

August 23, 2010
A wonderfully enjoyable, vastly original and terrifically entertaining western comedy. A fun-filled joy-ride that has heart and alot of high spirit to go around. An outrageous laugh-out loud comedy that you cant help but love. Paul Gross is excellent.
Daniel P

July 31, 2010
I liked Gunless a lot more than I thought I would. As with other projects involving Paul Gross (Men with Brooms), this is a spoof that's not always laugh-out-loud funny, but one that's quirky and still strangely compelling. This latest is better than much of the stuff Gross has starred in so far - maybe because this time, he just acted, and didn't do all the writing, directing and producing that he did for Passchedaele and MWB.

Gunless has a few slips. It lulls a little, and some jokes fall a bit flat, but I think big Western fans will get a kick out of this one. What's more, as with much of Gross's work to date, the film is very pro-Canada, and makes light of the classic (stereotyped) differences between Canadians and Americans. The story holds up whether you take it seriously or lightly, and it's enjoyable as a result - regardless of how many winks and nods you catch.

June 26, 2012
In "Gunless," the Montana Kid(Paul Gross) has felt better than when he arrives in the sleepy town of Barclay's Brush, Canada, slumped over his horse which is also dragging a large tree branch behind it. Since he is in a foreign country, he might be forgiven if he has does not think that any of the natives speak English while showing disdain for Queen Victoria. As much as he would wish otherwise, he is not going anywhere as he could certainly use a bath and pants once the bullet is removed from his backside. He could also use a part for a gun, after challenging Jack(Tyler Mane), the blacksmith, to a shootout. While disapproving of his general behavior, Jane Taylor(Sienna Guillory) still offers Montana a place to stay in exchange for fixing her windmill.

"Gunless" is an appealing northern(for lack of a better word) which again proves that Paul Gross belongs on horseback as one of the five current actors who rock a cowboy hat.(4 if Clint Eastwood has retired from acting.) He is matched well with Sienna Guillory and Graham Greene is always a welcome presence. As light as the movie is, it is not as broad as I thought it might be, thankfully not shying away from the darker story aspects, revealing many a hidden truth in general. Specifically, the movie also serves as a gentle allegory on the subject of American foreign policy belligerence(For the record, Bill Hicks also used a western to illustrate the subject).
Deb S

July 11, 2010
"Put me down for three more [bullets] and a carrot."

This is a charming and funny Canadian western comedy that pokes fun of stereotypical Canadian culture. It was even better than I expected and Paul Gross was terrific. Loved it!

"How far are we from a real country?"
Sean S

May 2, 2010
Funny and light comedy that neatly skewers the old west code of the gun mythos in American culture. It also pokes a bit of fun at the Canadians and the superstar status they accord an American gunfighter and of course no Canadian historical comedy movie would be complete without a jab or two at the Dudley Doright mountie myth. All in all a nice feel good film.
May 25, 2014
This movie was just fun and quirky. Did not take itself too seriously, and the characters were all lovely with all their eccentricities. It seemed to me to have that special charm that Canadian films often do. Highly recommended if you are in the mood for this sort of movie.
January 26, 2014
Cute funny Canadian western with an ultimately non-violent stand. Watch the end credits for very funny bloopers.
November 1, 2012
Quirky, goofy and a bit slow...yet strangely interesting. Fish out of water story with an appealing romance. The acting is quite good, and the film is nicely shot. Gross is superb. An oddly Canadian Western. Reminiscent of the series Northern Exposure.
Marter
May 18, 2013
Gunless puts a spin on the typical Western by having its gunfighter placed in a situation he's not familiar with: Canada. Up here, the "showdown at dawn" doesn't exactly fly, and many of the gags in this comedy revolve around the expectations of a typical Western being thwarted by the quaint, gentle nature of the people of the Great White North. This ain't no Wild West; here, the people won't shoot one another just because of a misunderstanding.

However, this is all news to the "Montana Kid" (Paul Gross), who arrives in town with a noose around his neck and a tree branch dragging behind him. He had been hung, luckily on a decaying tree, and survived. His horse, whom he loves very dearly and talks to whenever possible, dragged him all the way to a small town in the Rockies, despite being badly injured. While the Montana Kid, whose real name is Sean, is getting patched up by the doctor, a blacksmith goes about tending to his horse. These heathens didn't even ask, so obviously they're bad people. Sean decides that the blacksmith, Jack (Tyler Mane), needs to be taught a lesson, so he challenges him to a duel.

The problem with that is that nobody in town has a pistol. They have shotguns for the birds, and rifles for hunting, but no pistols. Only a lady named Jane (Sienna Guillory), possesses one, although it's in severe disrepair. She offers to trade it for some manual labor, and soon enough, the town grows on Sean, and he finds himself liking the people. All except Jack, whom he swears will be soon given the fixed pistol so that a duel can take place.

The film works to subvert your expectations, just like it does to the character that Gross plays. When three men, each holding a gun, meet him outside of the local shop, you expect something serious to go down. No, they just think that it's exciting, and they're going to offer him the guns so that the duel can commence. Of course, there's one character who ends every sentence with "eh?," but I figure that's done as a loving gesture to the stereotype, considering he's the only one to do that.

Gunless is a very Canadian production, and while not known for it, there is a certain sense of humor that Canadians have. If you've seen the fantastic show Corner Gas, that's about the most well-known production I can think would be likened to this film. Being Canadian, I found it to be quite funny. There were a few misfires, sure, but what comedy is funny for the entire way through? Gunless flew by like a breeze, its 90 minute running time feeling like it went by in just a few seconds, all because I was constantly laughing.

Where I had to take issue with it is in the way it concludes its main story, Sean vs. Jack. It is, indeed, finished with a single shot, but not in the way that you'd think. You laugh in the moment but then realize how much time was spent building up to it, and that it needed to be something more. At least, that's what I thought at first, but then I figured how Sean had grown as a character by this point, and how the ending to that storyline actually does fit. I suppose the film gives you something to think about, at the very least, even if its main conclusion isn't satisfactory.

There is only one big shootout scene, which comes right near the end and features villains whom we'd previously seen only a couple of times previously. A group of bounty hunters have been chasing Sean since the beginning of the film -- although we don't see them until midway through -- and want him dead or alive. This leads to a great shootout involving the entire town, again, in a way you wouldn't initially expect.

Paul Gross is not an action hero, which makes him almost the perfect man to play a character who likes to think he's a whole lot tougher than he is. He can wave his gun around and be impressive, but this archetypal cowboy rarely has to do any fighting. Instead, he gets to play the straight man, someone who can't believe what's going on all around him. Everyone else is "crazy," even though most of them are just going about their business like normal.

He mumbles his lines way too often, though, which is a problem. It's sometimes difficult to understand what he's saying, even when he's the only one talking. His character does have more depth than is initially anticipated, though, which makes for a pleasant surprise. Sienna Guillory does nothing to make her love interest stand out, while everyone else just kind of fades into the background, save for Callum Keith Rennie who shows up to be the real bad guy -- the leader of the bounty hunters.

Look, Gunless is a funny Canadian Western that will make you laugh if you enjoy the subversion of Western tropes or Canadian humor. It has some very minimalistic approaches to its setting, some solid costumes, and enough humor to make it go by in a breeze, even if it does feel anticlimactic in its main story. It takes the understood rules of the Wild West and flips them on their head. It doesn't have great acting, but it doesn't really need to, either. It sets a modest goal and is successful in achieving it. I quite enjoyed it, and I'll recommend it to you, too.
Tom H.
February 9, 2013
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the movie. I thought it was very funny and compelling.
May 27, 2012
Good movie, I really enjoyed this western as I appreciated his strong values and how he was able to soften his heart to the Canadian people. You gotta like Canadians..lol
August 5, 2012
Just saw it on Netflix- Awesome movie!

June 26, 2012

July 24, 2011
quirky film that doesn't take itself serious. funny for a while but the silliness becomes a little to much by the end.
April 21, 2012
Fun Little Movie : )
March 22, 2012
You really have to pay attention to catch all the humorous lines in this picture. It's a fun, light-hearted film with great acting. The entire family enjoyed it.
Woody
January 15, 2012
Headline: Canada makes good western with a twist of humor.
December 21, 2011
A rare Canadian gem in which the characters overcome the lchilly barren andscapes of the Northwest Territories to create a warm love story amidst the whims of gun loving bad guys. Paul Gross delivers a gem of a performance as a man trapped by his reputation as a gun fighter and his fondness for a local woman who needs a man around to help her small homestead. The pair gradually warm up to each other in odd, tender moment to create a screen chemistry often lacking in chilly Canadian movies.
December 27, 2011
Great western comedy.
December 25, 2011
I simply love anything with Paul Gross, and this movie was better than I expected. Funny, but also moving.