Gymkata - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gymkata Reviews

April 3, 2007
The thrill of gymnastics! The kill of Karate!
From the director of Enter the Dragon, comes a craptacular shitfest.
½ January 18, 2009
Ask me what is the absolute worst movie I've ever seen. Go ahead. Ask me...
½ May 5, 2008
Just thinking about the radness of this film will make your head burst into pieces.
February 19, 2007
There is nothing... NOTHING a mullet can't overcome!
½ September 27, 2008
This crapfest makes Road House look like Die Hard. Dumb from beginning to end. Not that I was expecting it to be all that good, but I assumed it would be so bad it was good. It wasn't. It was just so bad.
September 9, 2014
maybe the greatest gymnastics/martial arts hybrid action movie of all time - I may just love it because of the village of the crazies
March 7, 2008
Strangely, I had seen this on TV as a kid and didn't remember it- I had only seen the scene in the crazy town where the guy cut his own arm off and it terrified the grapes out of me. Funny to have closure in my life on such a psychologically scarring event... and to realize what a dumb movie to be scared of.

When you see a movie that invents a combat style that combines gymnastics and martial arts, and gives this 'art form' it's own japanese-esque name, you know you can only expect cheese. And gymkata delivers. Kurt Thomas tries so hard to portray a badass but it's difficult to believe when he's making wise ass remarks worse than the cartoon spiderman's, and with that ratty mini-mullet on his head.

The villains are sterotypical barbarians and the game itself is so 'horrid' that it has such a spectacular name: The Game.

You can not mistake this as coming from any era other than the 80s, the lacking plot, the huge holes that create bizarre scenarios (pommel horse scene, anyone?) and the way things are just thrown out there to add another plot twist (the love plot- after a short music-less montage, suddenly kurt and a princess are making whoopee like old lovers, though having very little interaction).

If you like your movies with cheesy one liners, sprinkled with action, and gratuitous male cameltoe, rent this.
½ November 1, 2007
Tough movie to review. It's not, you know, "good", but it is thoroughly enjoyable '80's cheese. The sequence set in the walled off city full of the country's insane people is genuinely great [until he finds the pummel horse] and has a stronger idea than almost any movie Hollywood made back then.
I guess you could say that my feelings about this movie are complicated.
July 12, 2007
There is only one word to describe the emotion, the power, the endeavor to move the masses to a some sort of recalcitrant awakening...SCRUMTRILESCENSE....
May 13, 2007
In order to save his father, Kurt must unite the ways of Eastern Karate and Western gymnastics to form a new style of martial arts: Gymkata! Yes, what can go wrong from there? So bad, you have to see it.
½ February 13, 2007
Somewhere on some list Gymkata deserves recognition. HERE is that list, welcome home. May I call you Gym?
October 1, 2014
Olympic gymnast Kurt Thomas plays a martial arts spy in an Eastern European country where parallel bars and pommel horses are part of the infrastructure. One of the 1980s most absurd films, referenced frequently on MST3K. Not for the comically impaired. .
May 13, 2014
Possibly the dumbest movie I've ever seen, definitely one of the best bad movies ever made, Gymkata has the advantage of a large budget and semi-competent direction. It fails spectacularly at some of the WTF scenes it throws at the public and a desire to make the most out of its Olympic gymnast lead at every turn. This leads to things like spontaneous karate/gymnastics scenes (like the infamous pommel horse scene) and other stupid, contrived attempts to stick gymnastics into every scene. Also worth noting is the hilarious casting choices, possibly the most baffling this side of John Wayne as Gengis Khan.

Gymkata is a terrible, terrible movie. One that is definitely worth watching.
December 8, 2013
A karate gymnist enters a death tournament in a country that the united states wants to put a satelite in. Yeah Gymkato is pretty ridiculous.
August 31, 2013
Bonkers Fellini fever dream in the middle asides, this is a piece of crap.
½ November 2, 2012
One of the worst steaming piles of crap I've ever seen.
May 27, 2012
Richard Clouse went into work one day and made Enter The Dragon. 12 years later he went into the toilet and made Gymkata.
January 8, 2012
One of the best worst movies I have ever seen. Every aspect of it is so mind-bogglingly ridiculous that the only sane response is to laugh hysterically.
½ May 30, 2011
[10/F] Produced on the enigmatic premise of turning American gymnast Kurt Thomas' popularity (such as it was) into a martial arts flick, using the crappiest script imaginable, and peopled with moronic Balkan villager-bozo-zombies, this is unquestionably one of the worst films this reviewer has ever seen; a movie so inept and bad it makes Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo look like Lawrence Of Arabia, festering in the memory like a plate of poisoned cabbage and bird droppings long after having experienced it.

Obviously, a creation of such bottomless insipidity and redolence of half-aborted intentions deserves a cult audience of its own, and apparently has found one. But best put yourself in the proper frame of mind before diving into the awesome fun. Actually, the infamous pommel horse fight sequence has to be seen to be believed.