The Gymnast

40% Intruders: Season 1
90% Outlander: Season 1

The Gymnast Reviews

July 2, 2008
[font=Century Gothic]In "The Gymnast," Jane(Dreya Weber) is a 43-year old masseuse who is hoping to get pregnant to invigorate her loveless marriage, while weaning herself off antidepressants. A chance meeting with Nicole(Mam Smith) leads to a unique opportunity to put her skills to use as an aerial acrobat alongside a younger dancer, Serena(Addie Yungmee).(Even though Jane is decades removed from her prime as a star gymnast, she is in such good shape that it is frankly annoying.) Even after Nicole has to leave for a family emergency, Jane and Serena decide to stay with the program...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"The Gymnast" is an engaging movie with relaxed performances that does more than a capable job of balancing its endearing story with the spectacle of the acrobatics, while smoothing over the predictable elements and most importantly not giving into the temptation of exploitation. However, it does end on a rather bizarre note. Basically, the movie is about how there is more to a woman's life than just being the good wife and the good mother, especially if it involves finding fulfillment in doing what she enjoys the most.[/font]
Ina S

October 1, 2007
Graceful, beautiful and quiet would be the first things to come to mind to say about this. But then unfortunately it is also ever so slightly shallow in its characterizations, lacks chemistry between the leads and relies too much on the amazing aerial acts. I was drawn in nevertheless, so it gets a good 3 stars - but I might be giving the benefit of the doubt here. I will rewatch it on DVD to form a final opinion on it, as my expectations of this were probably too high.
March 13, 2013
Only downfall was the end.. I did not like the way it was ended.. but, the rest of the movie was beautiful and the silk work was fantastic.
August 8, 2007
This was much better than I thought it would be. Beautiful story, and the plot had a lot of depth. I really enjoyed it, and I thought it was very well done.
August 2, 2007
This movie was great. I decided to see it on a whim at the Hippodrome in Gainesville, and I could not have been more pleased with it. Such a great story of really finding one's self and the life one wants to live. If you ever get the chance to see this, do.
tiny160
March 26, 2007
I absolutely adored this movie. Finally something that portrays a woman who just happens to fall in love with another woman and rejects all labels. Dreya Weber is amazing.
December 9, 2012
Entertaining, different, not too sterotypical and not exploitative. I enjoyed the movie though the ending is a bit bizarre.
Wasnt expecting to like the movie since the plot wasnt what I normally would watch, but was surprised(though it did seem to paint "men" in a bad light)
November 22, 2010
Great movie, well worth it for the story even if the beginning is a bit slow to start, the silk dancing was amazing and the leading ladies were both gorgeous.

July 2, 2008