H.M. Pulham, Esq. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

H.M. Pulham, Esq. Reviews

jjnxn
½ May 5, 2014
Solid MGM drama that contains probably Hedy's best performance.
January 27, 2010
I have watched this film numerous times, but just can never get into it. Robert Young is such a bland actor. Hedy Lamarr is quite good, as is Charles Coburn and Ruth Hussey. Very nicely produced. But, the film lacks spark and verve. Not bad, but not among the great films of 1941.
November 16, 2014
Lordy, Hedy Lamarr is gorgeous! Robert Young is a man lives his life by what he thinks is expected of him and as an older man reflects on a period of time in his life when he met firecracker Lamarr who brings Young out of his shell during a brief time in his life. It's a charming and smart little film and Lamarr is very winning in what I now think is my favorite of her films. If she'd had more films of this quality, she'd probably be remembered alongside her contemporaries who appeared in more classic films. This film was actually Hedy's personal favorite of her films and I can see why. Ava Gardner supposedly has an uncredited appearance as a young socialite, but I couldn't spot her in the film.
½ November 13, 2014
While imperfect, I found this to be one of the best and most truthful depictions of romantic love I've ever seen in a film. And I'm a film buff, so I've seen countless attempts to portray romantic love. Seeing this film, I realize how false and bland even really good films are when it comes to conveying the reality of the experience of being in love. I won't name names, but even famous romantic films don't come anywhere close to conveying the beauty of love as well as this film does. Robert Young and Hedy Lamarr have a marvelous chemistry, and their falling in love in conveyed believably. In so many films, falling in love rarely seems to happen as it does in real life -- it so often seems arbitrary, forced, rushed, or simply false.

For feminists, this film might be interesting in that Hedy Lamarr is doing exactly what the female characters in Mad Men are doing(working in an ad agency), but in a 70 year-old film, and early on she announces her dream is to become a partner in her agency. Her intelligence, strength, and ambition are treated as perfectly normal--even admirable--traits in this film from all those years ago. By the end of the film, she *is* the head of a firm. But along with these strong qualities, she conveys a touching vulnerability, and a childlike joy as she falls in love with Young. It is easy to see how these two characters could find much to love and admire in each other. All-in-all, a film to watch if you think romantic love is beautifully and realistically depicted in other films. This one could change your mind.
jjnxn
½ May 5, 2014
Solid MGM drama that contains probably Hedy's best performance.
August 5, 2012
good period piece melodrama
November 9, 2011
Funny how issues that are just so...dramatic today are underplayed here. Old fashioned family values I guess. Cute movie :)
½ January 6, 2009
good stuff Hedy sparkles and shines