Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)
Average Rating: 3.8/10
Reviews Counted: 24
Fresh: 7 | Rotten: 17
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 3.4/10
Critic Reviews: 5
Fresh: 0 | Rotten: 5
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 3.1/5
User Ratings: 68,093
This fourth entry in the Halloween franchise focuses on Jamie Lloyd (Danielle Harris), the niece of ubiquitous masked killer Michael Myers (George P. Wilbur). Jamie tries to lead a normal life, but she can't escape the vengeance of her "funny uncle," who once more escapes from the loony bin. The only echo of the original Halloween -- and a faint one at that -- is the casting of Donald Pleasence as Dr. Loomis, who manages to get through his "We must stop him!" scenes as if mouthing the words for
Jan 1, 1988 Wide
Aug 25, 1998
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment - Official Site
George P. Wilbur
Walt Logan Field
Latest News on Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
January 11, 2007:A Return to "Halloween" for Danielle Harris
Over the past few weeks, Rob Zombie has announced a whole bunch of cast members from his upcoming...
June 5, 2006:Get Ready for a Very Zombie "Halloween"
If you love the original "Halloween," but have grown a little weary with the endless...
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Fourth entry in the Halloween horror series is a no-frills, workmanlike picture.
It seems the latest stage in some curious evolutionary pattern; the slasher species keeps proliferating and getting weaker at the same time.
H4 is very much the cheap knockoff of its prototype, but not half as visceral.
Of all the Halloween sequels, including the irrelevant and unwatchable Halloween III, Halloween 4 stands out as the best of a generally uninspired lot.
While it's definitely not the best of the series, it's an entertaining slasher film...
Feels more like an obligatory teen slasher than the previous films...but gets the job done.
Though it is a slasher movie at all points, it's an atypically intelligent example of the form...a quantum leap better than its two immediate predecessors.
Although this is just more of the same old same, Halloween 4 is directed with some skill by B-movie specialist Dwight H. Little.
One of the best chapters of the series...really novel
...[Donald Pleasance's Dr. Loomis] doesn't once refer to Myers as "pure evil," though he does call him "evil on two legs" which is almost as good...
And in the faint praise department: "Halloween 4" is just a little bit better than most of the sequels that followed.
Audience Reviews for Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
- Dr. Loomis: Micheal? Why now? You waited 10 years. I knew this day would come. Don't go to Haddonfield. You want another victim? Take me. But leave those people in peace. Please, Micheal. God damn you. [shoots Micheal]
- Dr. Loomis: You're talking about him as if he were a human being. That part of him died years ago.
- Dr. Loomis: Six bodies! Sheriff that is what I have seen between here and Ridgemont! A filling station in flames! I tell you, Michael Myers is here in this town! He's here to kill that little girl and anybody who gets in his way!
- Sheriff Meeker: It's over?
- Dr. Loomis: Yes. Yes it is. Michael Myers is in hell, buried, where he belongs.
- Rachel Carruthers: I think tonight Brady was ready to make a commitment. But now my future relationship, my engagement, my marriage, my children, your grandchildren, have all been wiped out because I have to baby sit tonight.
- Richard Carruthers: I want Jamie to be in bed by 9:30.
- Rachel Carruthers: You're gonna be late. You don't want to blow your promotion.
Discuss Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers on our Movie forum!