Hangin' with the Homeboys - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

iLeo
January 7, 2008
Hilarious!
½ August 28, 2013
How many life experiences can you have in one night? Too damn many hanging with these cats. I truly enjoy watching it from time to time. Makes me appreciate the people who are in my life.
January 25, 2010
Great movie. Basically this is "Friday" before "Friday" ever came about. It's 4friends on a Friday night with nothing better to do then go out partying. It's funny but gets dramatic at some parts. (good movie to watch with friends)
½ November 3, 2009
Of all the ghetto movies, this movie is the greatest to represent the feeling. It is funny, not extremely, but pretty funny. I advise you watch it to know the true feeling of "Brotherly love in the hood."
½ October 6, 2009
A film that accurately shows how a typical night with your "homeboys" goes. It's pleasant to watch, and pretty funny.
½ August 9, 2009
Between a 6/10 and 7/10, this film, situated in the African American community, charts the same territory as other classic "cruising" pictures (American Graffiti, Diner).
January 6, 2008
I seen this movie along time ago it caught my attention cause of John Leguizamo in it and thats my fav actor but turned out to be pretty good.
½ December 17, 2007
Fakey crap. 4 [email="Jack@$$es"]Jack@$$es[/email] drink and drive and look for women who might want to sleep with guys who are basically bums. Then they whine all the time because they get into crap. They get into crap because of the way they act.... Dumb buggers! And those are supposed to be the heroes of the movie?

It's pretty bad.
February 24, 2014
Another lost gem in Black Renaissance era. Four guys, two black and two Latino characters finds themselves in a night of partying that by the end, helps them understand each other and themselves.
½ August 28, 2013
October 7, 2012
great movie. reminds me of being young and my father. every man has friends like these. at least I do.
½ December 6, 2009
Authentic but patchy comedy of bickering friends out for fun in NYC, who each must face their own self-delusions.
April 4, 2012
B- Very overlooked film that's really funny and poignant. Ricky Miller
½ March 18, 2012
wow, walking down memory lane! I use to watch this movie every saturday afternoon, when I was a kid. It craked me up.
January 7, 2012
excellent acting, excellent directing
November 2, 2011
B- Very overlooked film that's really funny and poignant. Ricky Miller
½ August 19, 2010
ienjoyed this, iliked seeing them in their younger careers
½ July 2, 2010
I first ran into this film years ago when I was in the 7th grade & I just happened to catch it edited on television. I immediately took a liking to the four characters I was seeing on screen and found myself laughing out loud through most the picture. I called up a friend to have him tune in and it turns out he was already watching the same movie. Years later I‚??ve seen this film several times with close friends and it has never failed to lose my interest.

‚??Hangin‚?? with the Homeboys‚?? was made in 1991 and it captures a crazy day and night in NYC within that time. Four different characters are brought together to have a boys night out and what ensues is the type of comedy you only wish you could remember half the time when you really do go out with your boys. There is Tom who is an inspiring black actor that has the never quit attitude, and Willy a welfare case always insisting the white man is keeping him down & Fernando who is a Puerto Rican womanizer who passes himself as Italian & lastly main character Johnny played by John Leguizmo who is a neighborhood supermarket employee who knows there is something better to be had in life. They fight; they laugh, get kicked out of parties, clubs, get apprehended by Italian cops, & get in car accidents all in one day & night. The drama is overshadowed by the comedy, but the heart of the film is conquered by themes of friendship, attitude, & morals.

This is a great low budget indie comedy that many haven‚??t seen and that‚??s why I consider it to be a hidden gem within the world of film. It‚??s funny and the viewer may pass it off as pure comedy, but if you watch closely you‚??ll see a very fine film with characters as real as you and me.
9/10 from me.