Happy Birthday to Me Reviews

November 2, 2011
Happy Birthday to Me is a slow as molasses 80's teen slasher that's mediocre at best. It's dull, has a boring plot, takes itself far too seriously, and worst of all, is waaaaaay too long.

The kills are few, far between, and even off-camera (defeating the entire purpose of a freakin' slasher movie in the first place), there's no t&a and no humor. I would recommend it if you needed two hours of background noise or a sleep-aid, but the frequent screams and yells (often for completely no point) would quickly ruin either of those scenarios. The only vaguely entertaining part of the movie is the truly ludicrous ending, but that's not worth the nearly two hours of boredom that would be required to get to it. Worst birthday, ever.
WrenchLT
½ January 30, 2011
Good little 80s slasher with a decent array of inventive kills, quite violent too for its day. The ending is a memorable one which will catch you off guard with its twist. At the end of it all it's a good and entertaining viewing but not quite sleazy or brutal enough for my tastes.
½ January 6, 2007
A very good early 80's slasher film with some original kills, even by today's standards! It did feel a little bit long and slow at times but it has plenty of red herrings and quite a twist for a very early slasher film. The poster alone stuck in my head from an early age for quite a while. Not overly gory but still a very enjoyable film for slasher fans. Just seen the lead character was the blonde girl in little house on the prairie.
½ September 6, 2010
Not the best slasher flick of the 80s, but enjoyable, and there's a nice twist at the end.
½ August 28, 2007
The first Horror film I was ever made to watch and whilst it has nothing on today's standard of gore, it was in places one of the more enjoyable oldies and one of the more enjoyable Horrors of that era.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ June 8, 2010
Happy Birthday To Me is one of the most memorable slashers of the 80's.
One of the best aspects of the film is the the on screen kills. They may be bizarre, but they're very well done and interesting. Another that Happy Birthday To Me has going for it, is that the film is actually suspenseful, and manages to be quite effective at building suspense and horror. Happy Birthday To Me is a solid slasher film and is very underrated. This is a prime example of a very well done slasher film, sure it may not be exactly Halloween or Friday The 13th, but the film still manages to be original enough to thrill you. After Carpenter's Halloween was released in 1978, every studio wanted to make a Halloween knock off. One of these is Happy Birthday To Me, a bizarre, and yet amusing horror film. The film is bizarre because of the techniques used by the killer to kill his victims. The film boasts a decent enough cast, which do a better than most slasher actors in previous films. I found them less one dimensional, and more realistic. Obviously in the group of kids there's the troubled one, but everything is not as it seems. The film is very enjoyable and it plays really well on a certain theme, this time being birthday party. I find that slasher films are more effective built around a certain idea because it adds a whole new creative element to the film. Like Halloween was centered around the holiday, and My Bloody Valentine was centered around Valentine's day. Centering a film around a specific holiday makes it more synonymous and unforgettable.
October 21, 2010
Another entry into the early 1980's horror genre, Happy Birthday To me follows Virginia (Melissa Sue Anderson) and her group of friends who start getting killed off one by one in this lovely body count film from the people that brought you My Bloody Valentine. Poor Virginia has that age old problem of repressed memories and these images start coming to her just as her friends start dying in ways only available with latex and corn syrup.

Not as bloody as its brethren of the era, this film is more psychological than gory horror as Virginia continues to crack up time and again. And guess who her doctor is? It's Glen Ford! What the hell is he doing in this garbage? Everyone needs a check. That's what this film is- garbage. A cheap exercise in cashing in on Halloween and Friday the 13th that fails to captivate like those movies did. This movie isn't even Prom Night. It's a little long for what it's worth and there is no real pay off throughout the film. Trans Am enthusiasts will be in awe over the 1976 T/A that says Turbo in the rear spoiler, yet has a standard shaker. Yeah, I know.
FilmFanatik
January 24, 2010
Quite boring and uninteresting. It tries to build up its characters before killing them off, but never really succeeds. And of course the ending left me scratching my noggin. On the plus side, the shish kebab and weight lifting death sequences were very effective...but for a film with a poster tagline that says "six of the most bizarre murders you will ever see," it definitely doesn't deliver it. It's also worth mentioning that the pace is extraordinarily slow, even for an 80's slasher film.
July 25, 2009
This has to be the most unintentionally funny film I have ever seen. I cannot believe there is not a goofs list for this film, when it contains the worst bit of Continuity EVER!! Imagine the scene, the young star has a flashback, her and her mother are trapped on an opening bridge. As it opens, the car falls, spins 180 degrees and lands roof first in the water. The Director, Editor, whoever, obviously loved this stunt as we see it 4 times, in slo mo, from 4 different angles, then, as a climax to her flashback we see it one more time, this time, however, the car falls into the water Roof UP!!! Who was editing this thing?? Anyways, its worth a look for its laughs, and has a few decent effects too, including a kebab skewer through the head. Watch it, you may actually like it!!
½ June 20, 2008
Need to see it again to be fair with the rating. I saw it in my childhood and the one thing I recall vividly is the ending, a seriously creepy birthday party.
½ September 30, 2013
Happy Birthday to Me is pretty standard slasher, it gets right into the slashing, and is followed by loads of fake scares. This is similar to the Scream movies-that I love- but here I was never surprised by a fake out. Often these fake scares were just characters acting creepy. The film has plenty of gory films in it, as it chops its' way through the smug private school characters. My favorite kill was the bench press, which had me laughing. Happy Birthday To Me gets props for the weirdness, which really shows at the end. It seems to get some inspiration from Brian De Palmas, Sisters. While I laughed, and was kept entertained, the film didn't work at all as a horror. No scares, but often funny, even if unintentionally.
divinetrash
February 16, 2008
Melissa Sue Anderson is funnier in this movie than she was on that Little House episode where she first goes blind. As for the movie itself, it's kinda messy, kinda stupid but always fun and features some pretty good murders (I will never eat shish kebab ever again), though I will never get over how lame the twist is; it comes out of nowhere, makes no sense and even though without it the movie would've been completely predictable at least it would have remained creepy.
½ December 20, 2008
B-Horror movies are totally awesome, although this one was kind of lame. It was ok though. I was kind of put off because the main actress was so damn ugly, but other than it was alright. Um.. the ending was extremely lame, most probably due to the fact it was just thrown on and there was no build-up to it. Other than that though, people die = yay.
John2223
½ October 1, 2008
A surprisingly good underrated 80īs slasher above the average of its genre. With gory killings and great ending.
DrLappos
½ February 16, 2008
I'd forgotten about this shlock horror classic......Gotta be seen if your a horror fan.
February 23, 2013
Wait, what? No, that's just stupid and makes zero sense.

I wasn't expecting this one to suck. How disappointing.
January 18, 2013
One of those amazing video boxes that freaked me out as a kid and left an impression. By the time I would rent a vhs like that, videostores would get rid of these gems for whatever reason. A standard slasher movie that boasts 6 bizarre deaths is something to check out and while the deaths aren't over the top, the shishkabob, motorcycle and weight lifting ones were certainly cool and effective. Decent suspense mixed in with a few campy moments, Happy Birthday to Me deserves to be checked out and is a classic in the realm of My Bloody Valentine or to a lesser extent April Fool's Day. Features a twist ending of course and that is part of the fun.
½ April 17, 2012
Should have looked into party planning. The decorative detail almost balances out the inevitable lack of referrals.
½ February 10, 2011
This was your standard unknown killer slasher flick. It had some good kill scenes and had some mystery to it. I hadn't seen it till recently and was pretty surprised at the ending. If you like this type of film then sit back and enjoy the ride.
½ September 20, 2008
For the most part this movie seemed to be a normal slasher film, but I was surprised by the ending. The movie really confused me, especially because some of the teens looked alike, so I would think: didn't they die? Other than that, I'd say this movie is worth watching. It's not exceptional, but it's pretty good.