—— The Identical Sep 05

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Harrison's Flowers Reviews

John B

January 24, 2010
A worth subject but ultimately dull. Andie MacDowell is out of her depth.
June 22, 2012
"Harrison's Flowers", with a story plot basically revolving around the early 1990s Yugoslavian war and the search of a photojournalist lost in its midst by his wife, delivers a sufficiently grasping performance. All this despite the cast being not so famous.
movieloverforlife
October 1, 2006
Very good movie. Good story and very good acting by Adrien, Andie and Brendan. Can be disturbing at times and has some very graphic scenes, but well worth seeing. Makes you have a better appreciation for those that risk their life to capture photos of countries that are at war!
graemii
September 24, 2007
I totally agree with Mr. Fetzer's review. Adrian Brody is always outstanding although in my opinion was miscast. I couldn't appreciate Elias Koteas' performance. It just wasn't there. I still have mixed feelings about Andie MacDowell. As in all of her movies it seems she does okay but doesn't reach any higher. This movie does a tremendous job of depicting the utter tragedy of war also known as "ethnic cleansing." Special note of Gerry's small contribution makes me smile.
Ida K

January 12, 2008
I find it hard to believe that a woman would risk leaving her children orphaned in order to go to a war zone and find her missing husband. That being said, the war scenes were very graphic and realistic.
JHeafitz
February 29, 2008
Really interesting to watch. A great cast but in the grand sceme of things it's forgettable possibly because it is too dry and real.
June 21, 2007
This was an amazing film done by a cast of wonderful actors which tells a gripping story. Some of the scenes of ethnic cleansing taking place are hard to watch and the fact that this film goes there makes it an interesting film to watch. Overall, an amazing film that I will be adding to my collection.
April 4, 2006
Really strong film. Good performances with a good script. The direction is decent, seems like it was the director's first film though. But Straithern, Gleeson, and Brody were all great. ANd MacDowell was good. But it's a smart movie with some really moving themes.
December 8, 2012
Such an underrated film. Great cast. Good story!
Robyn M.
August 27, 2012
Such an intriguing movie about a Women Devotion to her Husband "Harrison". when sent on a mission to war torn area as a photogher.Assumed Missing in action his Film is sent back, using this as a clue to link his last where abouts,and local News broadcasting. Harrisons wife goes searching for him. With a compelling gut feeling she just can't let it go. On the way she meets friends,see's death first hand, and intercepts near death herself. "A journey of love, conquers all!"
July 28, 2012
A primitive anti serbian, hollywood style piece of propaganda. disgusting and full of lies.
July 14, 2012
It's not a trite love story. It's just a wife looking for her husband under the worst possible circumstances. The best portrayal of war I have ever seen. This film is worth renting.
Faye
April 7, 2012
As an editor, I found this movie very credible. In fact, I published photos submitted by photojournalists of apparent atrocities in Eastern Europe in the late 1990s. I am surprised by some of the condescending reviews by "professional" reviewers. The film simply has the ring of truth. I have no quarrel with the storyline -- the authors needed a vehicle through which to tell this story. I think Andie MacDowell did a fine job as the driven wife. So did Straithairn and Brody in their roles. None of these fine actors lacks gravitas. War crimes did occur; journalists did die in these conflicts. There are too few films portraying these very real themes, and I hope the haughty reviewers do not deter other producers and directors from pursuing new films showing the real world.
August 18, 2011
Ouch! I was extremly disappointed with this movie and how I was mislead by the other reviews. I'm sorry but Andie Macdowell's character is so unbelievable, even within the confines of the plot, ie,, it shows her relationship with Harrison (her husband) as being typical or maybe even a little troubled, then they suddenly have this heartfelt telepathic connection of undying love.Then she throws everyone along with her kids to the curb to go in search of Harrison. furthermore; somehow along the way she by chance bumps into friends from home on the tragic, gruesome, and suicidal warfront that they all decide to continue into the heart of the conflict where everyone is being killed onsight (except for them), I could go on and on but you get the picture, (pun intended). Brody's character is way over the top for no apparent reason, he is constantly emotional and angry with some type of "don't give a hoot" attitude, then suddenly morfs into some kamakazi compassionate martyr of sorts. The movie really builds too nowhere. I have grown fond of most of the cast over the years for their performances( just so you don't think it is some predisposed bias of mine) . You really have to blame the Directing and script for this " bomb". Strathaim does well as usual, but his character wasn't much of a challenge. I have rarely felt compelled to write a poor review, but this had too be done. Even if you just go with the "its a movie and imaginative" position. It's still not fluid and believable within it's own parameters. Don't watch this movie with any expectations and you might pull some kudos for the special effects, but the movie as a whole dumps so bad that you might even miss that. Sorry!
May 27, 2011
I enjoyed this movie
TWP Bukvic
July 11, 2008
Thrilling,Chilling, and Amazing!!!:fresh: The story is great and the insight to The Yugoslav War is brilliant. Thats all I have to say. Just Wonderful.
datemple
September 25, 2006
It's hard to critique an actor's performance when it is surrounded by the depiction so much human suffering. The story is indeed powerful, overshadowing the performances. In this case the movie is the better for it.
jazza923
May 30, 2004
Respectably good, a bit far fetched but has a few really powerful scenes.