Harrison's Flowers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Harrison's Flowers Reviews

January 24, 2010
A worth subject but ultimately dull. Andie MacDowell is out of her depth.
½ June 22, 2012
"Harrison's Flowers", with a story plot basically revolving around the early 1990s Yugoslavian war and the search of a photojournalist lost in its midst by his wife, delivers a sufficiently grasping performance. All this despite the cast being not so famous.
½ April 7, 2012
As an editor, I found this movie very credible. In fact, I published photos submitted by photojournalists of apparent atrocities in Eastern Europe in the late 1990s. I am surprised by some of the condescending reviews by "professional" reviewers. The film simply has the ring of truth. I have no quarrel with the storyline -- the authors needed a vehicle through which to tell this story. I think Andie MacDowell did a fine job as the driven wife. So did Straithairn and Brody in their roles. None of these fine actors lacks gravitas. War crimes did occur; journalists did die in these conflicts. There are too few films portraying these very real themes, and I hope the haughty reviewers do not deter other producers and directors from pursuing new films showing the real world.
½ October 1, 2006
Very good movie. Good story and very good acting by Adrien, Andie and Brendan. Can be disturbing at times and has some very graphic scenes, but well worth seeing. Makes you have a better appreciation for those that risk their life to capture photos of countries that are at war!
July 11, 2008
Thrilling,Chilling, and Amazing!!!:fresh: The story is great and the insight to The Yugoslav War is brilliant. Thats all I have to say. Just Wonderful.
April 14, 2008
really instense, i was freakin out half the time. but also really depressing seeing wat really went on over there. pretty good. but also a lil upset that gerard butler wasnt in it that much, more like 3 minutes total. but movie still pretty good
½ September 24, 2007
I totally agree with Mr. Fetzer's review. Adrian Brody is always outstanding although in my opinion was miscast. I couldn't appreciate Elias Koteas' performance. It just wasn't there. I still have mixed feelings about Andie MacDowell. As in all of her movies it seems she does okay but doesn't reach any higher. This movie does a tremendous job of depicting the utter tragedy of war also known as "ethnic cleansing." Special note of Gerry's small contribution makes me smile.
January 12, 2008
I find it hard to believe that a woman would risk leaving her children orphaned in order to go to a war zone and find her missing husband. That being said, the war scenes were very graphic and realistic.
February 29, 2008
Really interesting to watch. A great cast but in the grand sceme of things it's forgettable possibly because it is too dry and real.
½ January 16, 2008
It's ultimately a losing battle when the audience's lack of interest in eastern Europeans is assumed at the outset.
½ June 21, 2007
This was an amazing film done by a cast of wonderful actors which tells a gripping story. Some of the scenes of ethnic cleansing taking place are hard to watch and the fact that this film goes there makes it an interesting film to watch. Overall, an amazing film that I will be adding to my collection.
½ September 25, 2006
It's hard to critique an actor's performance when it is surrounded by the depiction so much human suffering. The story is indeed powerful, overshadowing the performances. In this case the movie is the better for it.
April 4, 2006
Really strong film. Good performances with a good script. The direction is decent, seems like it was the director's first film though. But Straithern, Gleeson, and Brody were all great. ANd MacDowell was good. But it's a smart movie with some really moving themes.
February 26, 2016
This is definitely a revealing movie that shows reality of the happenings created by the Serbian aggression on Croatia. It shows the situation of the aggression over the full overall war.
March 15, 2015
Saving Photog Harrison. Harrowingly gruesome, perhaps gratuitously so. Yes war is hell, but we knew that.
½ December 21, 2013
The first hour of the film is pointless and boring, the second half is very affecting but because the first half is a waste of time but the time you get into it its over, the war scenes though are first rate it should got started earlier then you would have a classic war film of great strength.
December 8, 2012
Such an underrated film. Great cast. Good story!
August 27, 2012
Such an intriguing movie about a Women Devotion to her Husband "Harrison". when sent on a mission to war torn area as a photogher.Assumed Missing in action his Film is sent back, using this as a clue to link his last where abouts,and local News broadcasting. Harrisons wife goes searching for him. With a compelling gut feeling she just can't let it go. On the way she meets friends,see's death first hand, and intercepts near death herself. "A journey of love, conquers all!"
½ July 28, 2012
A primitive anti serbian, hollywood style piece of propaganda. disgusting and full of lies.