41% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Harry and Tonto Reviews

Lucas M

May 15, 2011
Paul Mazursky's best film ever! A beautiful story with a freshing screenplay, directing and the acting of Art Carney, Academy Award winner by is role in this movie. Harry and Tonto is touching.
flixsterman
flixsterman

February 3, 2009
Mazursky has crafted a story populated with humanity and decency, and where the only true villain is father time. Harry and Tonto is sort of a modernized, colorized and Americanized version of Umberto D.. Sad but still heartwarming.
Byron B

January 30, 2007
Sweet movie. Funny at times and sad too. Amazing that Art Carney was able to portray this role because he was only known for his goofy character on the honeymooners. The young actors who play his children who eventually go on to big careers are great too.
John B

October 8, 2013
The pinnacle of Art Carney's later career. We have the story of man forced onto the street with only a beloved cat as companion. Naturally the humanity of the character is brought forth with the change in his circumstances and Carney's interactions with those he meets are memorable.
Alec B

January 13, 2009
The film is uneven but Art Carney's performance is very strong. It's probably the best character study of a man and his cat.
Stephen E

November 29, 2011
"Harry and Tonto" is a touching film about old age that would be incomplete without the heartwarming performance of Art Carney, who makes every scene and line of dialogue seem completely genuine. The direction and writing on Paul Mazursky's behalf is noteworthy as well, but the real reason for watching "Harry and Tonto" is because of Carney's performance.
June 14, 2012
Interesting movie.. Not really sure what the whole plot was, had some funny moments good acting but it left me wanting more. There wasn't a climax or down point it just seemed to flow uneasily. was interesting to see 1970's usa.. Movie is Not worth watching though.
June 11, 2012
A great cross-country-road-trip movie that is gentle and charming. The film is very organic and is beautifully directed by Paul Mazursky in what is probably his best film. Art Carney does a great job, and beat out a very impressive set of fellow actors for that year's Best Actor Oscar. Deservedly so. The film's very bittersweet final minutes are among cinema's most memorable.
blizzpirate
blizzpirate

April 3, 2012
Ida K

January 22, 2008
It's been quite a while since I've seen this film but I remember boo-hooing at the end. I'm quite the cat lover.
May 26, 2010
didn't quite know where this one was going. a man and his cat on a cross-country adventure. from his old life in New York to his eventual new life in LA, he knows and meets some interesting characters, but to what end? Carney gives a great performance as a grizzled old man whose best friend is his cat. the relationships between all the other characters though seem very superficial and don't really make life-altering impacts on our protagonist's journey. the bible-quoting hitchhiker, the medicine man, the little kid building a sand castle...I just don't see a point. enjoyable with definite moments of humour and poignancy, but overall pretty bland.
harryandtonto
April 17, 2006
Easily the best performance of Carney's career, and one of my all time favorites. For most people, I think this is a fairly average movie made in the 70s, but for me, I think it captures a lot of the things I feel and think about today. It is more of a character study, but as a film it's a not just a road trip movie, it's a character's journey.
July 17, 2014
It's not easy to make comedies that work as drama, too. But Carney's acting is so perceptive that it helps this material succeed.
May 11, 2014
Even though Art Carney may not have deserved Best Actor over Al Pacino, he's still showing some rather fine work in this film.
March 15, 2014
the only reason i saw this film was because wanted to see the performance that beat out pacino , nicholson , and hoffman for the godfather partt 2 , chinatown , and lenny ! it's actually not bad at all , it is debatable if carney was better than these men , but he was ofcourse very good !
Cai C.
July 24, 2013
The only problem with this movie is that there isn't a single scene that you may remember. But at the same time, you will like it more than you ever thought you could've. Oh, and that Art Carney guy does a great job acting in a real performance.
July 12, 2013
Like too many of Mazursky's films, Harry & Tonto is update of better films, in this case of De Sica's Umberto D, in this case, an old man with cat who has lost his place to live. Not a bad film, but one tied too closely to it's time. Mazursky's gifts as a writer and director are the ability to finely limn the au courant relationships of his time and place, but he misses creating art because sentimentality wins out all too often.
Connor G.
July 9, 2013
Not bad, but not particularly memorable.
filmlover1994
June 29, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
November 5, 2012
It's a surprisingly descent movie, but too plain and simple at the same time. It's the usual feel-good kind of movie that has faded from memory.