The Heavenly Kid Reviews

AJ V
September 6, 2010
A predictable, familiar, old story, but like Back to the Future, says something about the 80s. Mostly this movie is entertaining, and I liked it.
iLeo iLeo
December 25, 2007
Great!
NuditysShiver NuditysShiver ½ September 5, 2009
Back when I watched this film as a child, I never noticed the inaccuracies in the age from the characters. The storyline is daft, silly and predictably funny; but, it's the eighties, so the film is allowed those first two traits. It's appealing to know that The Heavenly Kid still hasn't lost it's touch on entertaining me, even though it's filled with numerous plot holes. But, it's a heart-warming classic that shouldn't be passed up.
Sunshineyness Sunshineyness ½ December 4, 2009
It's hard to explain exactly why we like the 80's teen comedies we like and this is one of those. I think what always appealed to me about this one was the greaser early 60's dropped into the post Thriller 80's. Add in a very nice sentimental story in a twist that I won't spoil and this is a great slice of 80's teen comedy.
rusty a August 14, 2008
A great 80's movie (at least for those who loved the 80's). The one HUGE inconsistency is the time involved. He dies sometime in the 50s, maybe early 60s, but when he comes back for his "assignment" he finds he has a teenage son attending highschool in the 80s when he should be more like 30 years old. But, remove that fact and the movie is sound and nothing really changes. If you loved the 80s, and movies like Big and Mannequin, you will like this movie.
Jeffrey M ½ June 2, 2007
A very cool film about a man who died in a car wreck and has to earn his way to heaven by helping a nerd. Lweis Smith and Jason Gedrick are awesome in this film.
Emily January 19, 2007
I absolutely love this movie! I don't know what it is about it, but I just love it...maybe something with it having a greaser in it.
Larry P ½ October 31, 2013
Another movie I watched countless times. A classic for those who knew how to enjoy a simple, fun story with a great message attached.
DC F May 4, 2013
Somewhat humerous but not greatly acted and the plot is quite dumb. Actually, the timeline puts the highschool kid at about 20 at the youngest and shows how sloppily put-together this film was.
Erin D ½ May 4, 2013
actually a very sweet film.
Corey L January 30, 2012
A father, Bobby, reunites with with his son after a 16 year absence. He tries to buy his son's forgiveness through drugs, alcohol, and sex. After almost killing his son twice, Bobby's parole officer Rafferty separates the two.
Jesse R ½ March 11, 2012
This was a very entertainment movie and I really enjoyed it. This is your typical 1980s movie, with comedy and touching moments.
Daniel A ½ June 1, 2011
Cute and predictable, cheesy 80's!
DC FIXX DC FIXX May 22, 2011
The Creep The Creep May 2, 2011
I'm going to start setting up my reviews a little differently and seeing if it sticks.

PLOT: Bobby gets over-cocky in a car race in the 60s and dies. He tries to get into Heaven,but first he has to prove himself to God and with the help of an angel,Rafferty,he has to give Leonard,a nerdy spaz in the 80s,the life he never had. The plot is somewhat new and old at the same time. The only thing is that it is PAINSTAKINGLY predictable. Only two things in here took me by complete surprise. It is inspirational and heartwarming at times,but it all turns cheesy in the end.

ACTING: Overall, standard. No outstanding performances at all. Though,being a fan of Jane Kaczmarek from "Malcom in the Middle" I liked her heartwarming style.

SCORE: The soundtrack was the best part of the movie,really. Some songs fit in so well,that it gives you the sense of "Yep,this is an 80s film". But it is a good score overall,especially the title song.

OTHER CONTENT: As a believer in God and Heaven,I did not like how they depicted Heaven as "Uptown",Hell as "Downtown",and halfway there as "Midtown". I also didn't like that the transport to Heaven was a subway. A SUBWAY! I would rather die again then take a subway to Heaven.

OVERALL,it's a heartwarming and inspirational,yet cheesy and predictable,movie with great score and horrible religion.
Jacob B. Jacob B. ½ December 29, 2010
It was heartwarming but dull at timePr
96scraper 96scraper May 15, 2007
This is a classic 80's movie. If you are a big fan of the 80's movies this is a must have. A story about a kid and his problems, a guardian angel and he has a cool 57 chevy..... very good movie.