Heavy Reviews

½ March 8, 2008
Evan Dando as the boyfriend does all the sensitive-right things but is phony-wrong for her; not sure if the movie is like him; good lighting & music
½ April 9, 2007
I don't really like Liv Tyler and Pruitt Taylor Vince makes me shudder, so I found very little to like about this movie. There was absolutely nothing special about it. I almost don't even remember watching it, it was so nondescript. Instead of watching this, just stare at a blank wall and invent a movie in your head.
February 15, 2007
The first film directed by James Mangold is not surprisingly very well done. It's a slow film, which adds very much to the story I think. Great acting from Pruitt Taylor Vince (also in Mangold's film Identity). The end of Heavy, especially with the dog and the faucet, is very moving.
½ April 23, 2015
A long slow ride but one that's touching and sweet.
October 24, 2014
Low-key character study about a shy, over weight cook who falls for a perky waitree. Mangold really captures small-town loneliness. A great film.
July 7, 2011
The last great bar film before cell phones.
½ August 13, 2006
Liv Tyler has such a natural charm and presence. She is an asset to every film she is in, and her performance in "Heavy" makes the film work as well as it does. Pruitt Taylor Vince also gives a remarkable performance and Shelley Winters gives a very in depth performance, as she always does.