Heights - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Heights Reviews

June 19, 2007
Quite fine drama tale of five smart, touchy New Yorkers try to figure out the meaning of love.
½ July 3, 2005
[font=Century Gothic]"Heights" takes place over a 24 hour period in October in New York City. Isabel(Elizabeth Banks) and Jonathan(James Marsden) are living in Manhattan and are engaged to be married. Isabel is a professional photographer(weddings and the such) and I'm not sure what Jonathan does but involves something about sitting in an office all day. Isabel cannot escape the very long shadow of her very famous mother, Diana(Glenn Close). Diana is a very busy woman - she is not only rehearsing to star in a gender reversed MacBeth but is also directing an unknown off-broadway play. Thrown into this mix is an underemployed actor and an English journalist investigating the life and loves of an infamous photographer.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Heights" is a drama of intersecting characters but this sort of thing only works when you have strong characters to work with. Here you don't. Isabel who is the center of attention is mostly a blank slate. The movie as a whole is totally contrived beyond belief, especially the final revelation.(Yes, Manhattan is a small place but there are too many people to be able to randomly run into each other with any kind of ease.) Glenn Close who became a better actress when she learned the meaning of the word "nuance" a few years ago again gives a very good performance. But most of the other talented actors in this cast - Isabella Rossellini, George Segal, Eric Bogosian and Michael Murphy(where have you been?) are limited to cameo appearances. It is strange for a movie that photographs New York City with such loving care, to be so derisive towards photographers. Oh, and the occasional split-screen is definitely overkill.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
January 13, 2012
Yet another pastiche of mostly unhappy and boring New Yorkers and how their lives change over the course of a day. Amy Fox could use a spark of creativity in her screenplay to distinguish hers from the glut of similar films. (I knew an Amy Fox in college, could she be the same? I hope not ) Some good performances from Glenn Close and something of a revelation from Elizabeth Banks, but for what?
½ May 28, 2008
James Marsden is exceptionally good and Glenn Close is better than I've ever seen her.

This film is beautifully written and shot.
February 2, 2008
As a sharp dissection of contemporary relationships and sexual mores, Heights is a beautifully subtle film, one marbled with both wit and heartache.
July 16, 2006
Heights is the kind of movie where everyone starts sad and ends up sad. Yet another movie about relationships in the big apple, it is never dull thanks to Glenn Close's riveting performance.
½ January 13, 2014
An ensemble piece set in NYC. The performances are convincing and NY surroundings come off authentic, but the story gets almost undone by way too contrived final act. It might have worked in a stage play, but not so much in a movie.
August 8, 2009
The acting, writing, and direction of this film were astounding. I was expecting a poorly executed melodrama, and Heights is anything but. I desperately want to see or read the play it's based upon.
April 10, 2008
Really awesome movie. I saw it one LMN. I really wish that James Marsden didn't have to be gay. Jonathan and Isabel were so nice together. The ending was so awesome. It was like a giant shocker. I seriously didn't expect him to know that dude and everything. I saw it two times and I'm going to watch it again. This movie was really amazing. It makes you think what a small world we live in.
½ May 17, 2007
This is a movie to "watch". Every piece fits - you don't wander off to get popcorn during this one. I'm adding Glenn Close to my favorites list; I knew she is wonderful; this just confirmed it.
April 22, 2007
(June 2005 Director Chris Terrio) This movie moved me.. Was it Glenn Close as the aging actress struggling with a open married torn by infidelity, Jesse Bradford? Elizabeth Banks (her photographer daughter)? James Marden (Isabel's fiance)? I am not sure but the cast works together to portray how a single lie can destroy a relationship...and the strength of the mother-daughter bond!
March 21, 2007
This is why Indy films are worth watching. You may run into shitty ones or you may find amazing ones.
October 2, 2015
Heights is an urban drama with intersecting lives and stories. It is a relatively light film where one observes the interactions between the characters, has insights, and is not so much engaged with them; it is more pensive than emotional. The acting and filmmaking are good and I recommend it for those who are in the mood for this kind of film.
½ February 20, 2015
A lot of good actors. a bad script.
½ September 26, 2012
While it definitely has some interesting aspects, it also often feels lazy and uneven.
May 7, 2011
I have this film rated as 4 stars on Netflix, but I have no memory of having seen it. Does that ever happen to you?
½ December 9, 2010
The kiss between Marsden and Bradford is hot!
April 8, 2010
Heights is movie that runs like the drama Skins...the titles of the character's name is one big reminder as well as the way the film was shot. Slow moving drama that never bored just keeps you mesmerized until the film is over and all the plot lines and threads connect. Heights isn't a bad film at all and managed to tell love stories over the span of a 24-hour day.