Hellboy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hellboy Reviews

½ December 5, 2008
"In the absence of light, darkness prevails. There are things that go bump in the night, Agent Myers. Make no mistake about that. And we are the ones who bump back."

A demon, raised from infancy after being conjured by and rescued from the Nazis, grows up to become a defender against the forces of darkness.

Based on the works of Mike Mignola, "Hellboy," written and directed by Guillermo Del Toro, is a better-than-average comic book adaptation that boasts a refreshing sense of humor amid all the customary action sequences and first-rate special effects. The story begins in 1944, near the end of World War II, with the Nazis attempting to open a portal between earth and a hell-like dimension where seven evil deities have been lying in wait for just such an opportunity to come in and take over the world. One creature from the other side makes it through before the Nazis' scheme is thwarted, a young "boy" who is adopted by an American expert in the paranormal and groomed to become a superhero who can do battle with all the supernatural creatures who apparently exist in an abundance undreamed of by the vast majority of the human race.

The makers of the film have wisely chosen to keep Hellboy life-sized and believable in both his physical and psychological dimensions. Despite his red skin, stone right hand and ability to leap from rooftop to rooftop with gravity-defying ease, Hellboy is really just an Average Joe-type, with a bit of an ego, a sardonic sense of humor, a strong sense of loyalty, and a really good heart. Heck, he even has problems in the romance department not much different from what all the rest of us go through at one time or another in our lives. The movie is overlong and the screenplay probably includes one or two monsters more than it needs to in order to get the job done, but Ron Perlman, even under all the heavy makeup, makes Hellboy a three-dimensional, sympathetic character, while John Hurt brings warmth and authority to the role of Professor Bruttenholm, the "father figure" who raises him.
Directors Cat
½ October 29, 2011
Hellboy is a memorable character that brings humour to the overdose of action sequences in the film. I dont like super hero films that make an overdose of explosions but it did have some witty moments that helped me enjoy the film.
½ November 30, 2011
Decent Superhero/action film, Hellboy is a flawed, but nonetheless thrilling ride. Starring Ron Perlman (Whom I don't like, Hellboy does deliver some decent action, but is never anything spectacular. I felt disappointed in this film, and the film had potential to really be a great superhero film, but it never really took off. I thought the film was decent, entertaining and fun, but I felt that this film could have been much better than it turned out to be. This film is disappointing, but it's also a pretty entertaining film. I'm just stating that the film could have been much better. For what it is, this is mindless entertainment and does deliver some entertaining moments. However I don't think it's the film that everyone claims it to be, and del Toro, though an excellent director could have done better. Luckily the sequel to this film was better, and the plot was much more elaborate. There is something missing to this film to really make it a stunning action film. All the necessary ingredients are here, but something doesn't quite fit. The visuals are terrific, and it's the films greatest strength. I just preferred the sequel and thought that this film was average and really I didn't see why the film has gotten so much praise. The film is average entertainment, and I was disappointed because I thought it was going to be phenomenal, unfortunately this is one of those films that I felt was overhyped a bit, and it lacked something to really make it great. Overall a decent action film, never great, but not bad either.
Marc L.
February 11, 2011
This movie is one of the smarter superhero films around. In every sense of the word. Only, despite the name, it also has a very deep, moving and above all, creative story.

The hallmark of the film is Ron Perlman. He was the perfect fit to play the big red guy and played his role as Hellboy to a hilt. He brings all of the toughness from Sons of Anarchy, but also brings a lot of Hellboy's kindness. Hellboy is a complicated character, and you need a great actor to play someone like that.

The order of events was very well put too. At the start of the movie, the Professor raises Hellboy as a baby, and brings him up lovingly and unselfishly. By the time he is killed, we feel Hellboy's loss.

The plot was spectacular too, a real Del Toro product. It reminded me of a darker, more emotional X-Men. Hellboy, Abe Sapian and Liz are seen as outcasts by the public, who are mostly afraid of them and hate them because they are different.

But the best thing about the film is the message. "Stereotypes are wrong" It's a very good message, and to have it in a superhero film takes talent.

While it might not be as famous as Batman Begins or Spider-Man, this is definately up there alley as one of the best superhero movies ever.
½ November 15, 2006
When the Nazis open a portal to Hell, a baby demon comes through and is brought up by a kindly scientist to become the point man for a US government backed supernatural strike team. Hellboy isnother stylish comic book adaptation from Guillermo Del Toro starring the often criminally overlooked Ron Perlman. GDT's trademark visual flourish is in full effect, as it is fantastic to look at with some excellent production design. The script unfortunately doesn't quite live up to the visuals, the one-liners are rather weak ("Oh crap" is hardly the wittiest superhero catchphrase...) and the villain Rasputin failed to capture my imagination. It's main flaw however lies in my inability to relate to a character so divorced from reality; my favorite scene is when Hellboy is acting like a jealous teenager on a rooftop and I would've liked to have seen more of his "human" side. There are some nice turns from the supporting cast including Jeffrey "Hank" Tambor and John Hurt but as a whole it's a little difficult to care what happens because you never really connect with any of the characters and the story is just a hotch-potch of supernatural set pieces and hokey mythology. It's a very, very pretty film with a few interesting ideas but it fails to pull the audience into its mystical world.
September 9, 2011
I found the concept and visuals to be quite good, but the tone is all over the place and there is a big lack of substance to the film.
½ August 17, 2011
Guillermo del Toro's "Hellboy" is pretty atrocious. I'm not attacking your beloved Guillermo here, because his visuals are suitably stunning and the films only redeeming factor. The screenplay on the other hand and subsequent editing is just some of the worst. Endless, unnecessarily complicated exposition every 5 to 10 minutes makes the film grueling. Plus, there are just so many things to look at, on top of all this messy story, that it simply lulls you into not caring. "Hellboy" is noisy, obnoxious and boring. Just look at still photos of the amazing costumes and creatures and save yourself the trouble of having to sit through his mess.

Also, Selma Blair sucks.
April 14, 2011
Hellboy is an amazing thrill ride. Not only was it great to pick Ron Perlman, it was great to make this movie. The plot was fun, the effects and music were great, and the fish guy was awesome. My only tiff is sometimes the effects were cheesy. But if you can deal with that youll love this movie.
May 22, 2011
Hellboy is a very entertaining comic book adaptation. I had high expectAtions for it because Guillermo del Toro directed and those expectations were met. Ron Pearlman is a complete badass as Hellboy and the story is so much better than most comic book movies. If there was one aspect of the movie I didn't like it was definately Jeffrey Tambor as Manning.
½ March 28, 2011
An uproarious and visually-impressive entry into the comic-book genre, Hellboy boasts something that most of that other derivative garbage doesn't: Memorable characters and a great sense of humor.
August 13, 2007
A well made sci fi comic book adaptation, the make up, Pearlman, Hellboy and action is all topps, faultless, just the usual problem...its again aimed towards the younger audience and loses out. It should be much darker and more gorey really, but Pearlman is just too good here for it to collapse totally.

Damn shame there is so much iffy looking cgi throughout the film really, looked OK when it came out but now it looks pretty awful when I saw this recently haha. Another problem is the plot and how many things simply aren't explained (how and why they happen), I found myself asking many questions during the film which does tend to spoil it because it doesn't make much sense.

Directors cut DVD makes up for allot though with the amazing content.
May 12, 2007
Average superhero action movie.
Movie Monster
½ November 23, 2010
Cool effects, awesome characters, great action, and awesome plot. Hellboy is such a funny and cool protagonist! Liz is sick and Abe Sapien is so cool! A comic book movie that really feels like a comic book. Fun movie! See it!

"Didn't I just kill you?"
June 23, 2007
A very good comic book adaptation. Much better than some of the bigger comic to movie films of late. It has some cool effects and a very unlikely superhero. Throw in plenty of action and a good dose of humour to and you have a very enjoyable film.
June 24, 2010
September 10, 2007
its an enjoyable enough movie!
Its funny and action packed what more could you ask for!!
i like the storyline but its not a movie thats wow for me and makes me want to watch it again!
its funny and action packed might as well watch it!!
January 11, 2010
It's an amazing movie that takes you back to an older way of telling stories. It is fun in every way possible. The visuals are stunning, but very unique to the story. Ron Perlman is perfect as Hellboy, I couldn't see anyone else in the role. Guillermo del Toro is a visionary director who knows exactly what he wants and what fans want.
January 13, 2010
Hellboy was a fantastic movie, and brought a whole new spin for the hero genre!
August 18, 2009
My brother raved about this movie for a long time and I'd always wanted to see it anyway, and finally did. I totally agree w/him. Great all-around movie that all fans of the superhero/comic book genre should watch! Funnier than most of the others, and rather unique.
August 1, 2009
incredible costumes and makeup but a gaping lack of substance