• R, 1 min.

Hellraiser - Deader Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

March 16, 2012
Deader is another bland sequel in the dying Hellraiser franchise. I mean, there were some good entries in this series, but why keep making these films if you've run out of ideas? Sure it's always to cash in for a quick buck, but if you can't make a good flick, why even bother? The films are simply not entertaining anymore. What we get is a boring, tired entry in the franchise that really doesn't cut it. I felt it was a bad way to deliver a sequel. Pinhead is no longer a main character, which is a shame, because of course in the Hellraiser series, Pinhead is the main antagonist. This is boring without Pinhead as the main focus of the story. There's nothing that works with this film, and therefore it's not worth your time. This entry is poorly constructed and therefore lacks the sparks that sequels such as Bloodline and Inferno had. This film doesn't deliver anything new to the franchise. What this film gives us, is uninspired ideas that simply don't work for the audience. If you're a Hellraiser nut, you may enjoy this, but to those who lost interest in the series, you may want to skip on this one. Deader is a dud right from the beginning and it's a low budget, cheaply made sequel to a franchise that should have ended long ago. You won't find anything good here, you'll surely just be disappointed by this bland sequel.
Cassandra M

September 3, 2007
Well finally "Hellraiser: Deader" has arrived after a few years gathering dust on the shelf.

I agree with other members that it does seem to breathe some life in to this once outstanding franchise, but as with the other sequels it just lacks what the earlier films had in abundance. My personal view is that you can really tell that this wasn't written as a "Hellraiser" film.

For the first half hour or so except with the odd reference to "The Box" this could have been any other horror film and it kind of remains that way throughout.

The one thing really missing for me as with "Hellraiser: Inferno" and "Hellraiser: Hellseaker" is we just don't see enough of the "Cenobites".

I don't just mean "Pinhead" I mean all of them. You see a few glancing shots of them, but I'm sorry its just not enough. Its does seem a waste not giving them screen time. There are 6 "Cenobites" in this movie ("Pinhead", "Chatterer", "Bound", "Stitch", "Little Sister") & ("Spike" in the bonus material!) why are all these needed for 5 minutes of screen time? To be fair they did seem to play a bigger part in this than Parts V or VI, however they have almost become extras or cameos these days.

I have read a few comments from other users saying that these films are not about "Pinhead" but there is a reason he has been in all of the franchise to date.

I agree that one of the strengths of "Hellraiser" is they are stand alone stories, but in any franchise you need a recurring factor and the "Cenobites" and in particular "Pinhead" is it.

The "Cenobites" are "Hellraiser", which is why the later films don't feel like "Hellraiser" movies at all.

"Hellraiser: Deader" is a good and one of the better sequels to date and should give all fans hope for "Hellraiser: Hellworld" but as I remarked with "Hellraiser: Hellseaker" the fleeting glimpses of the "Cenobites" just are not enough.

Get back to the essence of the movies and set the story around them or let them play a major part again. The later films in this series sadly, could have been so much more.
_kelly .

August 13, 2008
8-17-08: Been a week since I finished the Hellraiser series in one go. Parts of this and the end of the first movie are the only images sticking with me (and scaring me!). The corpse scene in 'Deader' is firmly planted in my fear garden and I can easily see myself setting up a nightmare in which I am on the Deader ritual table. Added half a star, even though I still hate the plot and think the head Deader wasn't cast well.
______
This entry has potential, as there are some really cool sets, a decent lead, and a return to a more Cenobite-grounded story. But the mistake this movie makes is not making any sense whatsoever. With any sort of subjectively/cryptically ordered plot with dream or hallucination sequences, things get tricky for writers and teh audience can quickly be left behind if the director can't put the right visual cues on screen to make up for what the writers didn't do. This movie can't pick up that slack, so it's story becomes quickly frustrating.
PLOT SPOILERS BEGIN: I don't think there needed to be another reference to the leMerchant line because that was what ALL of Bloodline was about! And it does NOT at all explain how this Merchant descendant is able to harness supernatural powers. I get that he's trying to solve the lament configuration by using other people, but I don't understand how he is able to bring them back from the dead as deaders, or how he is able to elude Pinhead's powers using these people as buffers, which would seem to me that these people would just make him more vulnerable to Cenobite attack than fortified against it.
SPOILERS END
Anyway, now I'm totally fed up with most of the movies ending by Pinhead doing the signature chains-n-hooks tears you apart sequence made famous by Barker's work in the first entry, and this movie gives us another one.

This movie did creep me out on some levels though. In terms of making me weirded out by freaky Euro trash scenes, this is a million times better or cooler than Hostel because this is actually freaky, whereas Hostel is just fuckin funny and stupid. The scene with our heroine and the corpse in the beginning of the movie, who becomes a secondary character, is pretty damn cool and memorable - great cinematography and shot angles (someone actually tried!). If the script wasn't so supremely muddy and indecipherable, like most of the Hellraiser movies, I'd be mass recommending this, even with the worst ever ending chain-hooks sequence in BAD BAD CGI.
Lafe F

July 8, 2007
The poster artwork looks like a cool Pinhead sequel, but the movie is a weird bore.

A strange cult exists where the members have found the secret to being undead. The main reporter character walks around with a knife in her back for over a day - this grossed me out a bit. There's a weird subway ride. There's a freaky suicide scene in an apartment bathroom with the Hellraiser cube gripped in the dead girl's hands. It's all strange and doesn't make much sense. It's another form of hell, yet unexplored. This was all loosely connected to the Hellraiser series. I didn't like it much.
Marcus W

December 22, 2007
The series is definitely becoming formulaic, and yet they're still watchable 7 films on. Impressive.
Ivan D

September 17, 2009
A weak entry, with a plot I do not care, and with a Pinhead that looked exhausted and forgettable, though Kari Wuhrer as Amy Klein was quite a performance. The final scene echoes the original Hellraiser's ending, but to be honest, parts 1 , 2, and 5 are the only strong installments of this far-fetched horror franchise.
jjb3332003
March 30, 2009
This was the first movie in the Hellraiser series I had ever seen and I have to say I was pretty impressed. Up until the cheesy ending, it was full of suspense and disturbing images. In other words, elements a good horror movie should have. I am very interested in seeing the first one as I can only imagine it is the best of the series.
January 30, 2007
Granted, the idea of making a film where the main character is in her own personal hell and not knowing it until the end is cleverly put together, but as for being gory, someone send they people back to Hollywood and had them go back to school.
The dead effects were not that bone chilling, and someone needs to teach these people how to act dead and not move.
I would agree with a fellow critic that the stories get more interesting, but there is always something missing or off that does not feel right.
I only wish that they could put more creepiness dialogs for Bradley instead of the dark clichés. sounding like the dialog from Freddy. Plus why is it every time he is send back to the box he has to yell out 'NO!' I would think that this hell is where he would be more happy.
Message to future Hellraiser filmmakers: PLEASE work on making a real horror flick!
justinquinn99
November 2, 2006
This film isn't as good as some of the previous ones but definitely not bad...it was really good. The main issue I have with this one is that Pinhead and the Cenobites aren't in much of the movie at all. It is a Hellraiser film so it should have a lot of time with Pinhead and the Cenobites but it is still really good. It is interesting and keeps you wondering what is gonna happen the whole way through. It has the typical creepy vibe with decadent and gorey visuals that you come to expect from these films. This one is the 2nd of 3 of the Hellraiser films that Rick Bota has directed. The first one he directed was Hellraiser 6: Hellseeker which was awesome...I loved it! Then he made this one which wasn't as good as 6 but still good. The last one he made was the last in the series so far which is Hellraiser: Hellworld. I would say if you liked the other ones then you'll like this one as well.
February 4, 2009
Lame, lame movie. I wasn't very sure what the hell the plot was about and wished the main character would stop screaming already. Also how does killing yourself close a puzzle box? o.0
TheMikeFX
September 26, 2008
Probably one of the last Hellraiser films I'll get to work on. Third time I get to play Chatterer. I really like how the film turned out, even if it's altered from another story and made to fit the Hellraiser mythos.
retrozombi
February 10, 2008
THE most god awful Hellraiser sequel I've seen. Boring. I had an inner struggle just trying to keep from turning this rubbish off. I felt obligated to implement FF a few times. I probably should have done so even more then that.
aikijoe1980
July 13, 2007
Not bad,a pschological trot along thru death and the unkown. And you learn why you don't mess with Pinhead.
majinshake
June 20, 2007
Orignally not even a Hellraiser film. This is obvious. It's a good movie, but you could have easily included no cenobites and it would have been just as good.
evilthecat13
June 11, 2007
After the 3rd installment, they should have just stopped making them. It's not the same without Pinhead or the Cenobytes.
myzeritotec
February 13, 2007
Another entry into my favorite series, Deader offers a reporter's investigation into a strange cult and it's leader who insists that potential members solve the Lament Configuration
August 7, 2006
This is an obviously post-Ring inspired movie, at least it seems that way to me. It kinda left me feeling like "Season of the Witch" in Halloween left me.. WHERE THE HELL WAS PINHEAD? Anyway. It was so-so.
July 30, 2012
Clive Barker, please come back! When the puzzle box opens it only induces nightmares now instead of instant death by Pinhead and the centibites. The box opens and death does not come until the last scene. I do not know why I keep watching these Hellraiser films.
KevinRobbins
April 25, 2014
Don't think for a moment you're not in danger.

An undercover reporter begins investigating a potential story about an underground gang that can raise the dead. In the process she comes across a box that unlocks a path to the Hellraisers. When the Hellraisers arrive, they discover something other than themselves are raising the dead and competition is afoot. Can the Hellraisers slow the growth of their enemies and will the human race be caught in the middle of an epic battle?

"You opened the box so your soul belongs to me."

Rick Bota, director of Hellraiser: Hellseeker, Hellraiser: Hellworld, Love Me, and Happy Face Killer, delivers Hellraiser: Deader. The storyline for this picture is on par with the previous couple films and the violence has been fairly consistent throughout the series. The acting was just okay and the cast includes Doug Bradley, Georgina Rylance, Marc Warren, Paul Rhys, and Kari Wuhrer.

"Who am I is no concerns of yours."

I decided to watch this series off Netflix because I adored the first few films and decided to give the entire series a shot. Unfortunately, after the first couple films the series falls apart. This was not as bad as some of the films, but it is far from a worthwhile addition to the horror genre. I would only recommend seeing this if you're a diehard Hellraiser fan.

"Neither of us knows when to get off the fucking train."

Grade: C-
March 30, 2014
It's watchable, but it's a razor blade without its edge!